Day/Night Test Matches

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Cricinfo said:
Sutherland welcomes possibility of day-night Tests

James Sutherland, the Cricket Australia chief executive, has welcomed the ICC's endorsement for countries to play day-night Tests. The change, which depends the development of a suitable ball, came into effect with the new playing regulations from Tuesday.

Sutherland indicated that Australia would consider proposals to play day-night Tests at home, to better help fans follow "cricket's premium format". The arrangement would require bilateral agreement on playing times and the brand, type and colour of the ball used.

This last point could be the most significant obstacle in the immediate future, with tests on a pink ball still being conducted. Cricket South Africa last month expressed doubts about the ball's viability, while day-night first-class matches have also been trialled in England, the West Indies and, most recently, Bangladesh.

"Test cricket is by definition played on at least three week days, times when most people are at work or school, and this limits the ability of fans to attend or watch on TV," Sutherland said. "We limit ourselves by staging cricket's premium format at times when fans often cannot watch."

"CA has a formal strategic plan that demands Australian cricket puts fans first and we will now add day-night Tests to the agenda when we talk to other Test nations about their future tours Down Under."

Sutherland said that when a Test was played in Perth on Australia's west coast, which is three hours behind the cities of Sydney and Melbourne, the television audience was much higher because fans on the east coast were home from work. However, he conceded that coming up with an alternative to the red ball used in Tests could take time.

"Finding a Test ball that is as easily visible in the day as it is at night is still a technical work in progress that the ICC is now leading and it has not yet been possible to predict when such a ball might be available," he said. "The traditional red ball is not regarded as suitable for night cricket because it is not as visible at night as it is in the day, and the ODI white ball is not suitable for Tests as it is not as durable and does not last as well as a Test ball needs to last."

However, the move to day-night Tests could gain extra momentum with Cricket Australia set to negotiate a new broadcasting deal over the next few months. Channel Nine is keen on the idea of Test cricket being on air later in the day, when more viewers can tune in, and the network's head of sport, Steve Crawley, said the matter would be discussed when CA and Nine sit down to work on a new deal.

"I can't see a downside to it from an entertainment point of view," Crawley told the Age. "We'll be starting a Test match [against South Africa] Friday week in Brisbane at a time of year when so many people are at work during the day, and night-time cricket would give us a bigger audience."
LINK

It's not exactly a new idea. It's been around for nearly 40 years when World Series Cricket started.

spooony

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Playing test cricket at night is a horrible idea. It just shows that TV is ruling cricket

War

Chairman of Selectors
Hmm well i wouldn't say its a terrible idea to be fair. If they can get the right ball to use, i wouldn't mind it being played.

War

Chairman of Selectors
But then again, i fear the lack of leadership from the usual incompetent ICC could lead to problems in this area, as it is with so much things in world cricket.

The ICC should be take leadership on this issue via ball testing etc etc and when they are 100% convinced about the prospects of day/night tests - then they should allow countries to use it.

Its the same leaving it to boards has lead to the craziness with the lack of the universal use of DRS to date, which has compromised the integrity of cricket records in recent years already.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Looks like BCCI is not going to embrace day/night tests. They will do so someday, when they see the crowds coming.

spooony

Club Captain
Hmm well i wouldn't say its a terrible idea to be fair. If they can get the right ball to use, i wouldn't mind it being played.
?um why wouldn't they get the ball right? Cause a white bicycle is faster than a red one?

All they have to do is coat the balls exactly the same way. But instead of adding red you add white or Orange. Red balls got a sort polish coating which you polish to get some shine back. White balls don't have that.

Anish.

Panel of Selectors
Not a good Idea,the players play 120 overs a day + to add to that this, extension maybe for only 2 hours so it's a waste.

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
"Test cricket is dying" has been a catchphrase for a long time, and yet all it takes is some spicy pitches and a series that matters and all of a sudden the crowds return and the TV ratings go back up. Still, on balance, you'd have to say the rumour is not greatly exaggerated.

Yet there's been enough surgery to Test cricket over the years to keep it relevant that the option of playing at night shouldn't seem like too much of a stretch. If we're playing six-ball overs and letting people bowl over-arm, then anything goes, surely? "Purists" are just people who don't know their history, IMO.

I'd like to see the night-time option eventually become part of the local character and playing conditions of each Test-playing ground. Something like "Gabba pitches are fast and bouncy, and since they often start in the cool of the evening when there's moisture in the air they get appreciable swing throughout the match".

spooony

Club Captain
Not a good Idea,the players play 120 overs a day + to add to that this, extension maybe for only 2 hours so it's a waste.
Yip and we all know what happened in the ODI's. TV make the cut off time at 11 and then they must stop playing irrespective if the minimum total overs were completed or not. Who is going to sit in the night sky and watch test match cricket?

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Might be a good idea, so people can finish work and come watch it, rather than in the morning, when everyone is at work

ferg512

International Coach
It will improve tv numbers for sure but I don't know why they think crowds will increase. Not many people will on a weekday after work go down to watch the cricket til 9-10pm (over here at least).

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
SNN1412A280_388804a.jpg

The Pink Ball
Been testing if for some time

sifter132

Panel of Selectors

I'm with ya.

And just on the balls, some people are complaining that there may not be a standard ball if different boards decide to play day/night Tests. Which is exactly what happens now!! We've got Kookaburra, Duke and SG red balls used depending on which country you play in. Why not pink, orange or yellow balls depending on which country you play in? As long as it's the right weight, with a seam, I don't really care what they use.

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Just wish I could find on YouTube that scene from Howzat: Kerry Packer's War where they recreate the testing of the different coloured balls for night cricket

Users who are viewing this thread