Dec 26-30: 4th Test - Australia v England at Melbourne

midgetwars

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've never been a fan of panicking and dumping the whole team. I've supported Hussey and knew he would come back. But seriously, Clarke has not performed at all batting at 4. Ponting has only failed in the ashes. He was easily the best batsman for Australia in India. Ponting needs to move down, that is all.

Magz

Club Cricketer
I think Ponting should go, or at least resign the captaincy. Australia need a fresh outlook to pull themselves out of this rut they seem to be getting into.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The time to set defensive fields are when the opposition are right on top of the game. If your dominating the game or have any periods of ascendancy, then you really need to attack and give the bowlers every chance of taking a wicket.
The time to set defensive fields is when you have a massive advantage and cbf pushing for a win or when you just want to bowl at the other guy. In proper cricket, they don't achieve anything more than that. You can't use the field to herd batsmen into scoring less than 3 runs per over. You can only do that by bowling well.

P

pcfan123

Just wondering what the general feeling is on how UDRS has been used during this series. I think its almost an essential part of the game now, so many shockers have been over turned, we can't go back to the old system.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
The time to set defensive fields is when you have a massive advantage and cbf pushing for a win or when you just want to bowl at the other guy. In proper cricket, they don't achieve anything more than that. You can't use the field to herd batsmen into scoring less than 3 runs per over. You can only do that by bowling well.

I would agree.

It depends if you're bowling to a very attacking player, such as Sehwag.

midgetwars

Club Captain
Drop Hussey, drop Hilfenhaus and considering dropping Johnson. Gah! I'm so pissed, shithouse batting performance.

That, you are not correct in apart from Hilfenhaus. Doesn't Hussey's top batting performance for australia count?

formula1man

International Cricketer
That, you are not correct in apart from Hilfenhaus. Doesn't Hussey's top batting performance for australia count?

no its time to look into the future. they should have done that last summer against lesser opposition, instead they stuck with the same out of form players and now they are all at the end and we have no one to replace them with.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Don't see why everyone isn't counting Hilfy with their future squads. He's only 29 years old FFS.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Just wondering what the general feeling is on how UDRS has been used during this series. I think its almost an essential part of the game now, so many shockers have been over turned, we can't go back to the old system.

Agreed, even if the system is flawed, it's better than nothing. Thankfully, UDRS hasn't led to any controversies as far its usage is concerned in this series. Now if only we can generate that damned Snicko a little quicker, the system would move more towards being a complete system. I'm also loving the new common-sense addition of the umps checking for no-balls on wicket deliveries. Cricket needs more of the common-sense approach to the game.

Interestingly, in the India-South Africa series, where the UDRS is not being used, there haven't been any head-turning blunders by the umpires. Umps are stepping up in that series, methinks.

Sureshot

Executive member

UDRS is good and should stay here for the future, however, it needs to be supported by the ICC not the host broadcaster. It needs to be standardised.

Excellent day for England, Strauss was way too conservative, but I don't think that matters too much in the match context, this Aussie batting line up looks very deflated.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Odd that Australia have ended up with an injury when they've gone in without a proper spinner...

Oh yeah and England were beastly yesterday even Bresnan whom I hope they still drop for Broad.

England team for after the Ashes:

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Hildreth
Prior
Broad (just)
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

Finn's pretty close to being in the team but he still looks a tad raw, has all the time in the world to improve as well. Said it before the series and I'll say it now, its time for Colly to go he's been great and all but we need to blood younger players in the team rather than retaining those for past performances. Look whats happened to Australia since 2007 when they all retired at the same time. Plus Hildreth's been ripping up the county scene; notable mention for James Taylor as well and James Harris for places in and around the team.

Boundaries

Club Cricketer
Great day for English cricket, just need to wrap it up tommorow! It's lovely to see the Aussies taste failure for the first time in a fair few decades. We're used to it.

My fully fit team, for the next series.

Andrew Strauss (c)
Alastair Cook
Jonathan Trott
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
James Hildreth
Matt Prior (w)
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
Chris Tremlett
James Anderson

---

I think perhaps it's time to let Collingwood go, he's been a great player and if he does well after a bit of time in the CC then maybe re-consider. I'm not sure about Bopara and Morgan in Test cricket, so I chose Hildreth who I rate to come in at 6. Broad, although not doing that well in the tests he played here, has been a class act for us and deserves a spot in the team. It's harsh on Finn, it just shows how much strength in depth we have in the bowling department!

Lee1981

International Coach
Great day for English cricket, just need to wrap it up tommorow! It's lovely to see the Aussies taste failure for the first time in a fair few decades. We're used to it.

My fully fit team, for the next series.

Andrew Strauss (c)
Alastair Cook
Jonathan Trott
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
James Hildreth
Matt Prior (w)
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
Chris Tremlett
James Anderson

I'd have morgan instead of collingwood, he is a class act and given time im sure he'll prove it in tests aswell.
Broad wouldnt even be close to carrying the drinks for me, an overated pest imo. After today i'd pick bresnan all day long over him.
As for finn im still very unsure on him.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
This series seems to be dragging on for ages. Yes, the Aussies won a match in friendly conditions, but I think at times 5 test matches is too many for a series. I don't think the quality of cricket from both teams has been extremely high, unlike 2005, or 2006 from the Aussie point of view. This series, I think, has failed to really set the world alight especially from a neutral supporter's point of view.

I think it's possibly due to a lack of individual stars on either team. England are a very good side, but I don't think they really have a player who's a huge crowd puller for neutrals. KP comes the closest, but I don't think he's quite got it. In previous series, it was a joy watching Mohammad Asif and Aamer bowl (shame they were involved in the scandal) or Morkel n Steyn, Sehwag, Sachin etc. As good as Strauss, Cook and Trott are, they aren't very pleasing on the eye. Bell and KP are but KP has been in terrible form in the past couple of years. Anderson's pretty good to watch in helpful conditions.

That said, England are stitching together a good side. I don't think their batting is as good as the Aussie bowling makes it out to be though, they were exposed by Asif and Aamer earlier. However, on the whole they're looking solid.

Users who are viewing this thread