Dec 26-30: 4th Test - Australia v England at Melbourne

Lee1981

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
This series seems to be dragging on for ages. Yes, the Aussies won a match in friendly conditions, but I think at times 5 test matches is too many for a series. I don't think the quality of cricket from both teams has been extremely high, unlike 2005, or 2006 from the Aussie point of view. This series, I think, has failed to really set the world alight especially from a neutral supporter's point of view.

I think it's possibly due to a lack of individual stars on either team. England are a very good side, but I don't think they really have a player who's a huge crowd puller for neutrals. KP comes the closest, but I don't think he's quite got it. In previous series, it was a joy watching Mohammad Asif and Aamer bowl (shame they were involved in the scandal) or Morkel n Steyn, Sehwag, Sachin etc. As good as Strauss, Cook and Trott are, they aren't very pleasing on the eye. Bell and KP are but KP has been in terrible form in the past couple of years. Anderson's pretty good to watch in helpful conditions.

That said, England are stitching together a good side. I don't think their batting is as good as the Aussie bowling makes it out to be though, they were exposed by Asif and Aamer earlier. However, on the whole they're looking solid.

Got to say i think your talking out your ring piece mate.

England are dominating the aussies whats not to like?

England coming back from the death against all odds in the 1st test not good enough for you then?

Sorry but...:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
Well okay, the Aussie bashing is fun. Their bowling has been pretty rubbish for most of this series barring Perth. The Perth performance came out of nowhere, and that was more or less because Johnson somehow managed to get a cricket ball to move. Even the batting has never really clicked, besides Haddin and Hussey in the first test, and a few other good performances from Haddin, Hussey and Watson here and there. I don't think either side really has a solid batting line up, to be honest.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
This series has been great cricket. Not sure what you're getting at to be honest. Full of twists and turns thats kept it really interesting.

Plus Australia have completely imploded, epic.

----------

I don't think either side really has a solid batting line up, to be honest.

England have scored 500 three times this series. Bar Colly all of England's batting have been very solid, more than solid to be honest.

Lee1981

International Coach
To me the standard of cricket doesnt come into it for me in an ashes series, its all about drama and intensity and pitches that can bring a winner, and that is why the ashes is head and shoulders above any series in cricket!

Also the english support, absolute quality, no one has fans like us.

Highlander999

ICC President
I'm going to ruffle a few feathers, but I wouldn't mind seeing this XI once we have Broad back:

Strauss
Cook
Trott
KP
Bell
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

Those top 6 have all shown on this tour that they are very capable batsmen plus combined between Bresnan, Broad and Swann, they are more then up to the task of scoring a few runs. If we're at the stage where we are needing a batsman at number 7 to save us, I don't think it will matter who we have there, plus this gives us 4 good seamers and a world class spinner. If the management are concerned about a bowler friendly pitch, you can drop Bresnan out and replace him with a batsman but I would be more then happy seeing this XI play. If the batting looks a bit fragile after a few matches you can always swap back to the 6 batsmen.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
*Feathers thoroughly in a state*

Although I think the five batsmen that are assured of their places are probably the strongest we've had in a while I still wouldn't trust England batting with only those five.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I don't like the idea of putting pressure on Bell, as I think he'd struggle with that. Add to that, that we're not exactly struggling to take 20 wickets with 4 bowlers, so 5 seems a bit unnecessary. I'm not so sure about Bresnan being good enough with the bat either to bat at 7. Why change a winning formula anyway?

War

Chairman of Selectors
I'd have morgan instead of collingwood, he is a class act and given time im sure he'll prove it in tests aswell.
Broad wouldnt even be close to carrying the drinks for me, an overated pest imo. After today i'd pick bresnan all day long over him.
As for finn im still very unsure on him.

Yea Morgan definately deserves 1st shot to replace Colly, although Hidreth is fine as well. I've noticed alot of odd negatively towards Morgan with alot of ENG fans claiming they dont rate his test potential, which is quite perplexing to me.

Broad is fine also. Bresnan regardless of how superb he has been (surprisingly) in this test, is still only 1 test. You cant drop a man who has been steadily progressing over 2-3 years over a man who barely had 1 good test. Bresnan could have a bad test @ SCG for all we know.

Overall though its good competition for ENG bowling stocks.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I've noticed alot of odd negatively towards Morgan with alot of ENG fans claiming they dont rate his test potential, which is quite perplexing to me.

Its because he's not done much of note for the whole of his First Class career that would suggest he's likely to succeed at test level. Obviously he looks like he has the raw material that could get him to such level and could thrive ala Trescothick but I'd certainly have alot of reservations over him getting picked ahead of the likes of Hildreth.

ferg512

International Coach
Did anyone else hear the Channel 9 commentary yesterday when I think Taylor and Healy were saying it was sad for the game that the umpire had to go upstairs for the no ball of Johnson, as the public came to see a good contest and this wasn't good for the game. It's an illegal delivery ffs. I suppose they are also losing the plot as they can't believe the Aussies have lost the Ashes.

Well bowled by Bresnan. I didn't think he had that kind of spell in him. I hope after this series the selectors don't continue their love affair with Broad. Tremlett, Finn and Anderson are the way forward.

Last edited:

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Broad is a much better player than Bresnan. One spell albeit pretty amazing isn't going to take away the fact that in every other international he's been mediocre at best. Additionally Broad is still quite young and learning. And is a better bat for my liking as well.

And Finn is still too raw as things stand. Need a couple more years in county cricket honing his skills and he'll come back a hell of a much better cricketer.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Barring an absolute miracle, England will win The Ashes today. Can't believe that I'm seeing Australia lose an Ashes series in Australia. Watching them lose in England was bad enough.

Collingwood50

Club Cricketer
Man of the series thus far?
Was just asked at the pub and couldn't awnser. No one massivley stands out. Trott? Cook?

Last edited:

darthlewis1

Club Captain
Over twenty years of England failing in Australia is about to end, it feels weird knowing England will have won.

Users who are viewing this thread