Dec 26-30: 4th Test - Australia v England at Melbourne

darthlewis1

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Man of the series thus far?
Was just asked at the pub and couldn't awnser. No one massivley stands out. Trott? Cook?

Yeah I'd say its between Cook or Trott, Its too hard to call.

Actually you could also say Hussey is a contender, up until this game he's been scoring well consistently.

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
I'd say Anderson, I think he's bowled superbly. There is still a test left, though.

ferg512

International Coach
Broad is a much better player than Bresnan. One spell albeit pretty amazing isn't going to take away the fact that in every other international he's been mediocre at best. Additionally Broad is still quite young and learning. And is a better bat for my liking as well.

And Finn is still too raw as things stand. Need a couple more years in county cricket honing his skills and he'll come back a hell of a much better cricketer.

Yeah I suppose, I'm not really a fan of Bresnan, much like with Luke Wright I couldn't understand how he kept getting picked. It's just if they have done so well without Broad I would hope they don't just immediately pick him as soon as he is fit again. I think if Broad did come back in he would be first change, I can't see them possibly dropping Tremlett after the series he is having.

I think man of the series will probably go to Cook, but then again Trott and Anderson are also likely candidates.

Last edited:

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Haddin and Siddle's partnership helped me to forget our already sealed fate. I was happy to see Siddle make a new high score, at least that was a positive on today for Australia.

Congrats to England. You've been by far the better team and deserve to retain the Ashes at worst.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Did anyone else hear the Channel 9 commentary yesterday when I think Taylor and Healy were saying it was sad for the game that the umpire had to go upstairs for the no ball of Johnson, as the public came to see a good contest and this wasn't good for the game. It's an illegal delivery ffs. I suppose they are also losing the plot as they can't believe the Aussies have lost the Ashes.
It's definitely frustrating to watch. If you don't think so, you're either a stickler for technicalities or a little biased towards the batsman. I saw the same thing happen last night with South Africa and India. It was a bigger no ball and it was still annoying. With an lbw, you always get the chance to make an estimate, so the UDRS is interesting to pit your skills against. As a viewer, you almost never watch the bowler's foot and in the event that the bowler's foot is on the line, you will never call a no ball. The no ball review is just something that jumps out at you like a pigeon or a streaker.

It would be ideal if something like Cyclops could be used to call them automatically, but reviewing them is a half-baked solution. Especially as we only care if the batsman is about to get himself out.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Its because he's not done much of note for the whole of his First Class career that would suggest he's likely to succeed at test level. Obviously he looks like he has the raw material that could get him to such level and could thrive ala Trescothick but I'd certainly have alot of reservations over him getting picked ahead of the likes of Hildreth.

I'm glad you mentioned Trescothick since i was just going to bring him up again. Collingwood also falls into this bracket, as a player who became test quality based mainly on ODI batting instead of being a dominant force in FC cricket before picked in tests.

But also as the careers with Hick & Ramps would show you dominating in ENG FC cricket doesn't & shouldn't be a clear guide as to how players should go in test. So the same sort of pessisim (cautios pessimism) towards Hildreth future test credentials should also be shown. Instead of assurity some seem to have towards him & the odd negativety towards Morgan.

Of course though. Both two talented young bats who will be the future of our middle order.

Collingwood50

Club Cricketer
Random question, sure it has a simple awnser.

But why is there 30 months between the series after Austrailia, and only 18 after a series in England?

Probably good - could we handle the Ashes on top of the Olympics in '12

War

Chairman of Selectors
My view of the 4th test

ENGLAND:

SUPERBBBB!!. Never thought i'd see a England team come to AUS in the near future & play so well. Before this series i certainly expected them to lose, although not without challenging hard. So i'm pleasantly surprised & pleased.

AUSTRALIA:

SMFH. The batting collapses cancer that has been the trademark of the AUS test side in this post McWarne era since 2008. Has finally fdestroyed the immune system of the top 7.

I dont know what AUS can do now. All i can say now is all the talk that Ponting should go is madness. AUS need him in the test side more than ever now.

The only thing he maybe could do is move down the order.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
I dont know what AUS can do now. All i can say now is all the talk that Ponting should go is madness. AUS need him in the test side more than ever now.

The only thing he maybe could do is move down the order.

Couldn't agree more. Maybe Clarke could move to 3 if he was in better form. Ponting is the only player to currnetly play more than 100 Tests in the side. Hussey/Katich/Clarke are the only other close ones with around the 60 Test mark. I'm a big Ponting supporter but he needs runs. Whether that be in the Sydney Test or in the upcoming ODI's.

Brook

Club Captain
Couldn't agree more. Maybe Clarke could move to 3 if he was in better form. Ponting is the only player to currnetly play more than 100 Tests in the side. Hussey/Katich/Clarke are the only other close ones with around the 60 Test mark. I'm a big Ponting supporter but he needs runs. Whether that be in the Sydney Test or in the upcoming ODI's.

The problem in this series is that 3 batsmen fired and 1 bowler per test, but never more than that. Just seems like the India tests and the Sri Lanka ODI 1 wicket losses really sucked the life out of them.

Bilalshuja

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
A Bad News for Aussie's Fan's England Will Retain The Ashes.:(

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
The problem in this series is that 3 batsmen fired and 1 bowler per test, but never more than that. Just seems like the India tests and the Sri Lanka ODI 1 wicket losses really sucked the life out of them.

Harris and Johnson in Perth?

I agree with the last point though.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Covvy, Hilfenhaus is 29, that's my point. He'll be 33 by the time the Ashes come to Australia again. And he's just not that great an attacking option. Would rather a Copeland or George, who perform well in all conditions and are taking wickets at ease in First Class cricket.

I disagree with you, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
How long can we stick with older players? Simon Katich and Marcus North should never have been picked in the first place! Yes I know Katich has been very good, but he's on the brink of retirement now! Plus he's missed a few crucial tests through injury. Same with North, picking a 30 year old to debut ffs! If we stick with this side, the 2013 Ashes are already gone. Time for some fresh blood, it's way overdue. Hussey has had a good run, but there is so much talent in the domestic competition to be nurtured, rather than playing old guns, especially considering Hussey's form over the last two years (████ house).

Covvy, Hilfenhaus is 29, that's my point. He'll be 33 by the time the Ashes come to Australia again. And he's just not that great an attacking option. Would rather a Copeland or George, who perform well in all conditions and are taking wickets at ease in First Class cricket.

Good enough is old enough, Gazza. There's no point in selecting young players just for the sake of selecting young players.

midgetwars

Club Captain
How long can we stick with older players? Simon Katich and Marcus North should never have been picked in the first place! Yes I know Katich has been very good, but he's on the brink of retirement now! Plus he's missed a few crucial tests through injury. Same with North, picking a 30 year old to debut ffs! If we stick with this side, the 2013 Ashes are already gone. Time for some fresh blood, it's way overdue. Hussey has had a good run, but there is so much talent in the domestic competition to be nurtured, rather than playing old guns, especially considering Hussey's form over the last two years (████ house).

Yes, Hussey is old but not sacked. Retire. Anyway Keep Ponting and Katich for seniors to help the youngin's when they come in.

Users who are viewing this thread