Dec 26-30: 4th Test - Australia v England at Melbourne

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Yeah Collingwood might be a great fielder, but he does miss chances and drop catches too.
Picking on a point/gully/3rd slip type fielder is very devil's advocate. This is the arc where fielders are expected to turn hard hit strokes into chances and when even a drop can comfortably save 4, it's quite tough to compare drops in this area to drops in other areas, even 1st or 2nd slip.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
yeah Morgan hasn't impressed at all with the bat in tests so he isn't a valid replacement, the only reason i think he's in the squad is because of his one day form.

Not sure what you mean by this.

Yea Morgan was picked mainly on one-day form for tests. But prior to his selection he was the best middle order back-up batsman (although James Hildreth has stepped up) behind the main 4 of Trott/KP/Bell/Colly available for ENG ahead of any other bat in county cricket. So he would be a valid replacement if Colly is dropped.

For Australia maybe north might come back and open for them, this way they have 2 spinners and they still get to keep their 4 quicks, but realistically they'll just persist with Hughes.

Haaaa. No way sir.

Boundaries

Club Cricketer
I would move Bell up to 4, and move Pietersen down to 5 and Collingwood down to 6. Try to protect them from the new ball if there is a collapse at the top of the order. If they are going to rest Finn, which I think is a good idea, I'd replace him with Shahzad.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Morgan made some sense as long as he was in the team at home, but as backup on tour, it's not good to be put on the spot and have to ask if this guy can actually bat. It's different to come in under immediate pressure in a Test match, especially an Ashes series.

And it's usually tough to say what's appropriate at Melbourne. As much as I think you're more likely to get early movement than a real turner, it's not so much that you need extra seamers; you just want two or three to bowl really well in the first session. Plus, it can still be helpful to have a bit of tidy spin on days 3 and 4. Even untidy spin can be supported by the wide boundaries.

You would generally argue it's a docile old pitch, but like the Millennium Falcon, it somehow has a few surprises in it. Against Pakistan last year for the Twenty20, it was a vicious pitch, if only for 39 overs. In past years, patchy grass has made it prodigiously uneven and sometimes, it appears to play differently from either end. Although you expect runs, you can sometimes sense a wicket. It's the sort of ground that, like its hero Warne, seems to be able to write its own scripts.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
with morgan, the problem for me is how right everyone's got the assessments of englands strengths and weaknesses prior to this tour beginning.

Cook, for example, in woeful form over the summer was stuck with because people knew he'd do well in australia with his back foot game. Finn has been expensive but still effective, and tremlett did about as well as you can expect a back up seamer to do. These were all gambles to one extent or another, with an eye on the ashes, and they've largely paid off.

There have been a lot of doubts over whether Morgans front foot, unorthodox technique is right for australia, and I'm with them. Unless he's in terrific touch he's not going to have a solid game to fall back on.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Morgan made some sense as long as he was in the team at home, but as backup on tour, it's not good to be put on the spot and have to ask if this guy can actually bat. It's different to come in under immediate pressure in a Test match, especially an Ashes series.

Ye no doubt the pressure of a one-off Ashes deciding test that Morgan would be called up to @ SCG will be milessssss ahead of what he faced vs PAK in ENG. Even though the PAK attack was top quality.

But he is still the best back-up & i'd back his ability to step up. Even if he fails that IMO wont define him as a player. Since he will have a long test career for ENG anyway.

And it's usually tough to say what's appropriate at Melbourne. As much as I think you're more likely to get early movement than a real turner, it's not so much that you need extra seamers; you just want two or three to bowl really well in the first session. Plus, it can still be helpful to have a bit of tidy spin on days 3 and 4. Even untidy spin can be supported by the wide boundaries.

You would generally argue it's a docile old pitch, but like the Millennium Falcon, it somehow has a few surprises in it. Against Pakistan last year for the Twenty20, it was a vicious pitch, if only for 39 overs. In past years, patchy grass has made it prodigiously uneven and sometimes, it appears to play differently from either end. Although you expect runs, you can sometimes sense a wicket. It's the sort of ground that, like its hero Warne, seems to be able to write its own scripts.

Lovely summary sir. If i would descrive the MCG pitch after watching boxing day test since 97, as you said, it has something for the quicks in the 1st session. Then it flattens out & turns later in the game.

So with both teams having good new-ball attacks who even bowls first will need to knock over the top oder in that 1st session. Since if the batting team survives that 1st session, a big 1st innings score will be on the cards.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

with morgan, the problem for me is how right everyone's got the assessments of englands strengths and weaknesses prior to this tour beginning.

Cook, for example, in woeful form over the summer was stuck with because people knew he'd do well in australia with his back foot game. Finn has been expensive but still effective, and tremlett did about as well as you can expect a back up seamer to do. These were all gambles to one extent or another, with an eye on the ashes, and they've largely paid off.

There have been a lot of doubts over whether Morgans front foot, unorthodox technique is right for australia, and I'm with them. Unless he's in terrific touch he's not going to have a solid game to fall back on.

Not really to be honest.

Going into the tour ENG where stuck with Cook because they had noboyd better nor was the other back-up openers in county cricket that convincing.

If Trescothick had come back of this guy Stephen Moore who scored a hundred vs AUS in the tour game before the start of 2009 Ashes was fit & scored runs last season. Cook would have been dropped a long time ago.

His success in AUS was simply down to him working on his 4 year long technicakl fault outside off-stump with Gooch & it has payed off. But i saw signs in his dismissal in the 1st innings @ Perth that tells me if AUS quicks keep targeting that area he could still be vulnerable in that area & they could stop him for the remainder of the Ashes.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Tricky Ricky in pitch switch! Australia skipper Ponting in bouncer plot for the fourth Test | Mail Online

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Ye no doubt the pressure of a one-off Ashes deciding test that Morgan would be called up to @ SCG will be milessssss ahead of what he faced vs PAK in ENG. Even though the PAK attack was top quality.

But he is still the best back-up & i'd back his ability to step up. Even if he fails that IMO wont define him as a player. Since he will have a long test career for ENG anyway.
The question is, if he doesn't step up, what does define him as a player?

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors

article-1340087-0C8A64B2000005DC-564_306x771.jpg

That is SICK. Used since 1970! I just learned about this today

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
^ all the grounds in NZ have drop-in pitches barring Basin Reserve since all the grounds are made for rugby.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah. Drop in pitches have been widely used for yonks, since World Series Cricket if I recall correctly.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
^^ Seriously. Those sky commies were going NUTS when they heard it. Only Flower said something positive. "Lets encourage this time of sporting pitch"

Well if they are busy being pissed off about it, it's only going to cost them

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The pitches are installed at the start of the season. It's not like they rip them out on a whim. It's also symmetrical. There's no true centre wicket and it's not unusual for the two middle pitches to be treated equally. The preparation goes back weeks and there's not been any cricket since the tour game, so I can guarantee the whole square is various shades of green at the moment.

The thing is that Andy Flower was well aware of the pitch preparation taking place. The media are shocked because that's their job. If their job was to ask questions and present the information, they'd know what Flower knew last week.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
guys, it's the Daily Fail.

don't take it seriously, it acts outraged on behalf of an imagined britain that's been beaten into submission by immigrants, a dodgey NHS, paedophiles, benefit scammers and liberal scum who want to ban christmas because it offends the muslims.

Users who are viewing this thread