Deep analysis of the Ashes cricket game

silverthorne

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think I would extend that to anyone involved in the project that was in the developer videos too. It was ALL bogus.

This game is not a normal game where everything works. This game is something like a database app and then you run queries against a 'Cricket database' to play the game.

For whether it is bogus or not, there are lots of code they made themselves which represent the cricket game, beyond that, the rest of the game is nonsense.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I think the batsman running animations might be really useful for anyone planning to make a game featuring rickets.

silverthorne

Club Captain
@BigAntStudios,

If I told you they used Linq (select from Player where ID = Fielder1) to query the in-game objects, you probably would not believe it ;)

grkrama

National Board President
Extract what you like but YOU won't ever own it.... Not that I would think you would want too... Unless you were a superschtuff or a fonz or a tab64, then of course you would think it's absolutely brilliant. Of course :yes

the blasphemy Ross ,Of-course its brilliant.havent you seen the hits its recieving in ytube its topping DBC14 :p

Nah not going to waste my time with it without an sincere apology and license.:noway

silverthorne

Club Captain
but can be fixed by changing ik constraints and key framing a bit.

It does not work that way. You will find it very hard to correct their mistakes. It would be better to start anew and get correct animation.

It is not key-frames. You have to rig, animate and texture them as well. It is not video animation :)

All the animations are done wrong. You can see this from the YouTube videos.

grkrama

National Board President
It does not work that way. You will find it very hard to correct their mistakes. It would be better to start anew and get correct animation.

It is not key-frames. You have to rig, animate and texture them as well. It is not video animation :)

All the animations are done wrong. You can see this from the YouTube videos.
Ya i meant manual animating with mecanim or editing it studio by converting to fbx.i still keep telling keyframing for some reason.

how can i not see them youtube is trending because of trashes13:thumbs

You're not getting a free cricket game, get over it.
Caught me :spy:(

Was planning to make a simple net Cricket in unity -Capturing the life between the 22 yards :D
Well from the popular opinion im better off partnering with BA:cheers
Ready ross :thumbs

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This game is not a normal game where everything works. This game is something like a database app and then you run queries against a 'Cricket database' to play the game...

Jesus Christ. I have such a rudimentary knowledge of a lot of this stuff, but that alone tells me this is a NOT a properly built game, especially with all the demo code stuff.

Silver, you've created one of the most fascinating, interesting threads in PC.net history. Kudos... genuinely fascinating stuff.

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
The fielding system (including batting running) is the biggest problem. From what I know it was re-written in July for reasons unknown.
The build I saw in May did not have overthrows, runouts and teleporting.

A bit off topic, this just reminded me when you were at the playsession how could you not tell that this game was absolute shite? :p

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Silver, you've created one of the most fascinating, interesting threads in PC.net history. Kudos... genuinely fascinating stuff.

Absolutely - don't fully understand every post but it's a fascinating read :cheers

silverthorne

Club Captain
Ya i meant manual animating with mecanim or editing it studio by converting to fbx.i still keep telling keyframing for some reason. how can i not see them youtube is trending because of trashes13:thumbs

It does not work that way. An average 3d animator will take 3 weeks to make one model.

If the thing is wrong, it will take significant amount of time to fix it, maybe, more than 1 month. It would be better to start afresh.

nning to make a simple net Cricket in unity -Capturing the life between the 22 yards :D
Well from the popular opinion im better off partnering with BA:cheers
Ready ross :thumbs

It is not that so simple. Even if you make a simple cricket game, your game has to faithfully emulate all the rules. You also have to be expert in software development to fix their bugs.

From my point of view, the people who did this claim to be experts, it seems they are not.

Everything is done wrong. It would be better to not look at what they did and do it from scratch again. A suggested answer is posted in #13 of this thread.

If you make a network based cricket game, you must be able to emulate physics faithfully on the server, prevent cheating or hacking, then prevent hackers from overtaking the game. That is lot of work.

silverthorne

Club Captain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The YouTube video:

The physics issue (1:30 onwards) does not exist. There is no evidence they used Physics correctly.

The over and over again (2:00 onwards). The graphics are poor. The stadium looks the same over and over again :)

Choice of pitch (2:30 onwards) there are multiple stadiums but the save game generates corrupt data. You cannot continue onwards.

Match (3:00 onwards) decisions does not exist or it was badly implemented. There is no replay camera.

----------

Motion capture - whoever did the motion capture did not realise the animations in the game is utterly bad.

They should have asked a professional cricketer to do the motion capture.

In (2:00 onwards) the person has a bad posture, looks like he went to the bathroom to ******, the person looks like he has some spinal problem. No offence, that's what the animation looks like. :rolleyes

----------

The trailer has no actual video. Parts of the trailer is in the game (splash screen) from 00:30 to 00:36.

----------

The official forums are abandoned.

www-ashescricket2013.com/forum/

The forum is full of spammers now :mad

----------

A bit off topic, this just reminded me when you were at the playsession how could you not tell that this game was absolute shite? :p

Do you have a YouTube link? Now all the Ashes Cricket videos are viral videos mocking the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
The official forums are abandoned.

www-ashescricket2013.com/forum/

The forum is full of spammers now :mad

from the first thread :

505 GAMES ANNOUNCES OFFICIAL ?ASHES CRICKET 2013? VIDEOGAME

Milton Keynes, UK ? September 25, 2012 ? 505 Games, has today announced it will be bringing a brand new gaming experience to cricket fans all over the world in 2013.

image4061139x.jpg

grkrama

National Board President
It does not work that way. An average 3d animator will take 3 weeks to make one model.

If the thing is wrong, it will take significant amount of time to fix it, maybe, more than 1 month. It would be better to start afresh.

It is not that so simple. Even if you make a simple cricket game, your game has to faithfully emulate all the rules. You also have to be expert in software development to fix their bugs.

From my point of view, the people who did this claim to be experts, it seems they are not.

Everything is done wrong. It would be better to not look at what they did and do it from scratch again. A suggested answer is posted in #13 of this thread.

If you make a network based cricket game, you must be able to emulate physics faithfully on the server, prevent cheating or hacking, then prevent hackers from overtaking the game. That is lot of work.

Lets see where it goes, there is no right or wrong answer,i will neither proclaim myself master unity nor a dud.

Also neither am i going to do all the jobs myself.:cheers

also im sure in fixing the animations its not a big deal as you make it out.
Honestly not months.But sure a lot of work hours would be involved.
just because im saying its fixable doesnt mean it s great,its crappy but can be fixed with patience.

But we cant be sure whether its going to be useful or not without getting it hands on,we can always have our opinions.

But i do agree with you it would be embarrassing to trickstar if they do make it opensource.(though dont think they can top the release).

Anyway no point in speculating more on this. :cheers

silverthorne

Club Captain
Also neither am i going to do all the jobs myself.:cheers

The cost of fixing this mess is around US$400,000 which means having to re-hire a team of expert developers to simulate the navigation, game logics faithfully.

This is hiring senior developer who has experience dealing with game AI, game physics. Such candidates are - Senior developer who did Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed, Blizzard World of Warcraft Server developer, Senior artists in GameLoft or EA.

That cost excludes the development kit costs. Including the development kits - such as AutoDesk Maya, AutoDesk 3D Max, PathEngine or full-source of Unity or UDK, the price comes from US$500,000 to US$1,000,000.

There would be obvious issues - such as dealing with fraud developers, charlatans, cheating, lying developers who do monkey business than do actual work.

There is problem about quality. They should have known immediately about the quality control problems than let it fester and make so many stupid changes that the game becomes joke.

If anyone has US$1,000,000 the best choice would not to make a cricket game and invest in shares or equity for Big Ant Studios. Then you can meet the development team, see them do the works, learn a bit about how games are actually made ;)

I am not affiliated with Big Ant Games nor do I want a job there. My opinion about this funny game :)

----------

from the first thread :
image4061139x.jpg

Do not believe a single word of it. The features they claim are not in the Ashes Cricket 2013 final release or is under development.

----------

Did any member of this forum find a Cricket game editor inside this Ashes Cricket 2013 game?

They claim it has a game editor, I'm not sure if it even exists or not. :rolleyes

----------

This YouTube video describes some decisions that affected how this game is made. They attempted to make a field editor in-game.

They put everything into an XML database. They forgot to quality check the XML database for missing players, wrong or incorrect entries, negative numbers -1, empty or wrong XML codes emitted.

It also affects gamers playing this game. Gamers attempting to save the game, then come back, find their game trashed or cannot continue or complete the rest of this game.

Morale of the story: It is easy to create XML files. Make sure you read the XML, you write it back correctly too. If you are unable to do simple things, please don't call yourself expert. Maybe call yourself the XML clown or XML noob. :)

----------

From 1:00 onwards -

There are people who want to play on-line. They need to implement the Physics, navigation and AI on server. The Physics was implemented very poorly. Navigation - the person may cheat in-game.

AI on server? If they do not do it correctly, they need a server farm (100 computers) to accommodate thousands of multi-player games.

From 3:00 onwards -

Difficulty level - they can put sliders or percentage ratios of success instead of putting difficulty in opponent teams you are playing against.

From 5:00 onwards -

Motion capture. They need to do more clean-up. (See reply in previous post).

From 7:00 onwards -

There are no developer diaries how they made it...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread