Votes: 1 11.1%
  • None, I don’t like fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None, but I do like them

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
P

PrincessJade

nice . I can imagine keeping fish to be very relaxing and I like my pets to be soundless! Also that constant whir of the bubbles!
No bubbles in a marine tank. It does make lots of noise though. It has a return pump, 2 power heads, a wave maker and a protein skimmer all doing their thing. You get used to it and the good outweighs the noise. x

D

Dutch

A wavemaker!? Why that? Remember I have no idea about this kind of thing!!

P

PrincessJade

A wavemaker!? Why that? Remember I have no idea about this kind of thing!!
A wave maker simulates the sea. If you imagine a double ended hairdryer horizontal in the middle of the tank? It pushes water through at 6000lph for 5 seconds. Then goes to 8000lph, then 10,000lph. Then it stops, and repeats it from the other side. It simulates waves in a fish tank. Sorry if that wasn’t any clearer. x
I will take a pic of it when the white lights come on. x[DOUBLEPOST=1515858134][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do you have a seperate room for the tanks? They must take up quite some space?
All the tanks are in the living room. I can’t have a tank in my bedroom. I can’t sleep if it’s not all totally quiet. x

D

Dutch

A wave maker simulates the sea. If you imagine a double ended hairdryer horizontal in the middle of the tank? It pushes water through at 6000lph for 5 seconds. Then goes to 8000lph, then 10,000lph. Then it stops, and repeats it from the other side. It simulates waves in a fish tank. Sorry if that wasn’t any clearer. x
I will take a pic of it when the white lights come on. x[DOUBLEPOST=1515858134][/DOUBLEPOST]
All the tanks are in the living room. I can’t have a tank in my bedroom. I can’t sleep if it’s not all totally quiet. x
So continuing my ignorance do the fish need the simulations of waves or is it an esthetic thing?

P

PrincessJade

So continuing my ignorance do the fish need the simulations of waves or is it an esthetic thing?
It’s all to do with simulating a fishies natural environment. The better you can do that, the happier the fish will be. Which means the better luck you have keeping the fish a long time. Which is the goal because I cry when any fish die.
I cried for a whole day when our copperband butterfly died. He was being pushed off the food by an Idol and he got thinner and thinner. It was horrible to watch. He was my fav fish too. x

D

Dutch

Interesting. I love it When people are really into their hobbies and slowly but surely become very skilled and knowledgeable about it: I make music and the amount I have learnt in the past couple of years about recording and mixing and mastering astounds me; it was complete gobbidy-gook to me When I started!

P

PrincessJade

F3E1A2D6-AD87-43AE-A55A-216EF359C873.jpeg

@Dutch
There is the wave maker. x[DOUBLEPOST=1515859046][/DOUBLEPOST]1B277DB8-F8A4-4BB7-84C1-7E3BC0F61F3A.jpeg

And that is our powder blue tang. :p xx

D

Dutch

Those are pretty big tanks!!!! So the waves also generate oxygen or is that not needed in this type of setup?

P

PrincessJade

Those are pretty big tanks!!!! So the waves also generate oxygen or is that not needed in this type of setup?

The tank is 475 litres. The waves just give the movement. The 2 powerheads point towards the surface which splashes the water about which adds the oxygen. x

I sound like a teacher. lol Thanks for listening. I didn’t think anyone would be interested in my fish. x

D

Dutch

The tank is 475 litres. The waves just give the movement. The 2 powerheads point towards the surface which splashes the water about which adds the oxygen. x
Looks really nice and a lot better than watching most of the shite on tv! I had a place with an unbelievable unspoilt view and I could sit in front of the big Windows watching the weather for hours on end!

P

PrincessJade

That is one sized tank. Isn’t keeping the tank algae free always an issue though..?
I love to help with it. There is a magnet algae cleaner for the glass. And we use a gravel vacuum and a toothbrush for the stubborn bits on rocks.
If there isn’t an excess of nutrients then the algae can’t feed. Our nitrates and phosphates are very low, so algae is kept at bay. Plus tangs are grazing fish so our powder blue eats lots of algae.
Sorry if that fish nerd talk won’t way over your head. It did mine a couple of years ago too. x

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I love to help with it. There is a magnet algae cleaner for the glass. And we use a gravel vacuum and a toothbrush for the stubborn bits on rocks.
If there isn’t an excess of nutrients then the algae can’t feed. Our nitrates and phosphates are very low, so algae is kept at bay. Plus tangs are grazing fish so our powder blue eats lots of algae.
Sorry if that fish nerd talk won’t way over your head. It did mine a couple of years ago too. x

I must tell my brother about the magnet algae cleaner though he tells me he has a fish who eats the algae?

But yes the rest of it I was a bit lost, lol

Don’t you have to be careful when first transferring fish to the tank ?

Users who are viewing this thread