Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Finally got my hands on this game yesterday and finally got to play last night, as soon as I loaded up I got the patch (lucky me). Been following this forum for a while now, so kind of knew what to expect. But well done Big Ant, this is going to take a while to master, now all I need is sleep.

You can't. Every umpire is the same, and umpires can make mistakes. That's the whole point of having DRS in the game.

Ah right, thank you! But haven't had an overturned decision EVER, and close calls are always correct from the umpire hmm, but thank you for the help

I've been thinking a bit more about the bowling aspect. Basically at present if you bowl line and length you get lots of play and misses but very few edges. Of those edges none go to slip.
I'm consistently beating the batsman outside the off stump with outswing but only really getting wickets with inswing.

One thing that's become evident to me now that the fielders have been slown down is how terrible the fielding animations are. Fielders run away from a ball and then dive back towards it to take it in an amazing one handed catch instead of simply staying under it and taking it as they should do. I haven't yet seen a simple realistic high catch where the fielder simply sits under it and takes it.

One thing that's become evident to me now that the fielders have been slown down is how terrible the fielding animations are. Fielders run away from a ball and then dive back towards it to take it in an amazing one handed catch instead of simply staying under it and taking it as they should do. I haven't yet seen a simple realistic high catch where the fielder simply sits under it and takes it.

Happens to me quite a lot when I mistime a short of length down mid off's throat. They barely have to move a few steps and take it without much fuss.

Happens to me quite a lot when I mistime a short of length down mid off's throat. They barely have to move a few steps and take it without much fuss.

The majority of my high catches involve the fielder looking like he's completely misjudged it and then taking a last second one handed dive (then usually followed by "Oh, that's a stunning catch, the batsman can't believe it!") :noway. My misjudged length drives to mid off/on tend to go fairly flat and not that high personally.

I've been thinking a bit more about the bowling aspect. Basically at present if you bowl line and length you get lots of play and misses but very few edges. Of those edges none go to slip.
I'm consistently beating the batsman outside the off stump with outswing but only really getting wickets with inswing.

Exactly and whenever there is an edge mostly it is quite a feather edge and keeper normally take anything up to 2nd slip.

When I did get an edge I didn't appeal thinking it was obvious. Then when I did it was too late and the commentators were insulting me for not appealing!

The majority of my high catches involve the fielder looking like he's completely misjudged it and then taking a last second one handed dive (then usually followed by "Oh, that's a stunning catch, the batsman can't believe it!") :noway. My misjudged length drives to mid off/on tend to go fairly flat and not that high personally.

I get quite a few like the one shown in this video at 40:48...

----------

Exactly and whenever there is an edge mostly it is quite a feather edge and keeper normally take anything up to 2nd slip.

I have never had a catch to slips while bowling and while batting I recall only one catch to 1st slip off an edge. There were a couple taken at 2nd or 3rd slip but that was a cut shot played in the air and not a genuine edge. IMO slips seem redundant in the game and maybe that's something Big Ant can work on in a future iteration of the game as I don't think that can be patched in.

Last edited by a moderator:
@MattW, I recall reading that you had a horrible online experience with a guy appealing all time and not giving you time to check the field. I've found in offline, that if you press and hold the left trigger before your batsman takes his stance, you'll get to the first person view to check the field before the bowler has a chance to start bowling. So basically don't wait for the previous animation to end before pressing the trigger. I have not tried this out in online.

When I did get an edge I didn't appeal thinking it was obvious. Then when I did it was too late and the commentators were insulting me for not appealing!

Yup, I almost missed out on my first 5-fer like that. It was a huge wicket with the match situation in mind. I think I freaked out and appealed maybe 0.5 secs before the animation ended. Phew.

I had 2 edges to slips(3rd slip) today and both dropped by Johnson my best player. I was so annoyed as i have had the game for over 2 weeks and have only seen 2 edges to slips in that time and they were both me.:(

----------

One of the edges was a cover drive and looked so lovely, wish they happen more as they are in the game. No cricket game has ever got the edges spot on yet but DBC14 is close.:spy

@MattW, I recall reading that you had a horrible online experience with a guy appealing all time and not giving you time to check the field. I've found in offline, that if you press and hold the left trigger before your batsman takes his stance, you'll get to the first person view to check the field before the bowler has a chance to start bowling. So basically don't wait for the previous animation to end before pressing the trigger. I have not tried this out in online.
I basically had it held down permanently trying to get it to show me the field after a few balls.

Indeed offline I end up viewing the field accidentally because I press in the triggers early because of how I bat in the game by starting with them both pressed in.

Yup, I almost missed out on my first 5-fer like that. It was a huge wicket with the match situation in mind. I think I freaked out and appealed maybe 0.5 secs before the animation ended. Phew.

I missed out on mine via a bowled off a no ball :D
Next ball I appealed for lbw; given not out and umpires call and then reversed...

Users who are viewing this thread