Planetcricket Review of Don Bradman Cricket 14

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Agree mostly with the review. Thought the score was slightly high though - but a review is a personal opinion after all.

For me there are a few improvements required before the games attains that status of feeling "there" or a complete experience.

The one thing I keep coming back to is the AI batting when you are bowling. It just doesn't feel like you are ever dominating a batsman as a fast bowler, and catches behind the wicket to good deliveries are too rare. It feels like you are just serving the ball up to see what the AI decides to do and wait for them to get themselves out.

Unfortunately I'm yet to receive the game, so I cannot comment on my own experiences with Bradman 14, but that really is how bowling was in all previous cricket games.

The difference with Bradman is that you can't just put the ball where you want, you have to have a bit of skill to put it there. Nevertheless, if good balls don't make wickets more likely and batsmen just get out smacking bad balls to fielders, then there is a problem :(

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
AI batting had been problem in every cricket I have ever played
No one has found ideal solution to match awareness situation
DBC's strength of allowing any match format you want to create means creating AI to handle the multitude of situations very difficult

I would personally try to create AI match awareness for the main formats of the game
I.e
Test/first class (assuming 90 overs per day)
Odi and t20

That's probably hard enough but would be great if possible

angad

Chairman of Consent
AI batting had been problem in every cricket I have ever played
No one has found ideal solution to match awareness situation
DBC's strength of allowing any match format you want to create means creating AI to handle the multitude of situations very difficult

I would personally try to create AI match awareness for the main formats of the game
I.e
Test/first class (assuming 90 overs per day)
Odi and t20

That's probably hard enough but would be great if possible

Is the batting AI as bad on veteran mode as well as it is on pro mode? Pro difficulty level is the normal in the game, so it's ok if the AI is suicidal at times, however if it bats in the same manner on Veteran and Legendary mode as well, then (and only then) there is a problem.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Maybe there can be sliders that determine how many aerial shots should the AI play in any particulars match. Half the trouble with DBC 14 is number of aerial shots. If these can be toned down, wickets will be hard earned.

Last edited:

angad

Chairman of Consent
May there can be sliders that determine how many aerial shots should the AI play in any particulars match. Half the trouble with DBC 14 is number of aerial shots. If these can be toned down, wickets will be hard earned.

But with people finding batting difficult in pro difficulty mode initially, isn't it a better design to have the AI batsman get out cheaply so that you have a lower score to work around with. Once you are winning your matches comfortably (ie bowling AI out cheaply and scoring good runs) then it's time to move onto the veteran difficulty level. If the AI batting is made better on pro difficulty level then you would never have a fair chance at winning the match unless you can bat equally well on pro level.

Best would be to have sliders though, I agree, as then everyone can choose the difficulty levels as per their taste.

Users who are viewing this thread