Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

saulman55

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
So after growing tired of taking 10 wickets in a match for every 4 day game i decided to start a career as a batsmen. Gotta say i cant see what all the fuss about batting difficulty is. in my first game i made 56 and 42* scored slowly vs the quicks, and then worked the spinners all round the wicket

dontboycottme

School Cricketer
First post here. I've been playing for a few days on the ps3 and I am really impressed with the game. I wish I had more time to play but work commitments preclude this. However, the game is extremely addictive. Yes there are some nasty bugs and major irritants. I find it particularly irritating that the bales are whipped off or hit with just about time you bowl. the career mode is truly excellent. I started on amateur level but that's just too easy when batting. I am now getting used to batting on pro level and whacking the ball around without too much of a problem in career mode. I've given up with online games as other players are such bad sports and keep pulling the plug then the black screen. I gave up on FIFA 13/14 for the same reason. It's only a game and not real life. If you are are getting whipped then take it and move on. I expected the same childish behaviour with this game and sadly I was right.
Yes I like this game. No it's not pick and go, it requires time and practice. Just like the real thing.
Brilliant game. I try and get a few matches in before work. So it's off to the nets for me.
Have a good day. It's very sunny here, and no chance of rain stopping play.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well this has been stated ad nauseum but want to reiterate that in test and first class matches, when you bowl a 'bad' ball, the AI should look to be aggressive playing shot along the ground as opposed to going airborne all the time. Takes you out of the immersive experience too much and gives impression every game is a one day/T20 match

Jadel

Club Captain
So after growing tired of taking 10 wickets in a match for every 4 day game i decided to start a career as a batsmen. Gotta say i cant see what all the fuss about batting difficulty is. in my first game i made 56 and 42* scored slowly vs the quicks, and then worked the spinners all round the wicket

Aren't you clever.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Had a really good T20 match on PRO against the AI :)

Kent (AI) v Zimbabwe (me)

Kent won the toss and batted first, they scored quickly for the first 6 overs but after the powerplay I managed to take wickets and bog them down (especially with the spinner). A crucial 50 partnership from Stevens & Ball left Kent on 122/9 which I thought was a competitive score considering my batting isn't great.

KobjcUF.jpg

Now it was my turn to bat and I had a shakey start losing a few wickets but with the RRR still around 6 an over I knew I could take my time and build a solid partnership and I did just that with a 50 partnership between Raza & Chigumbura. Felt so good picking up the singles and getting the odd boundary to relieve the pressure :)

82MrW4k.jpg

A fairly comfortable victory for Zimbabwe.

A8VsjB7.jpg

By the way I have found an alternative way to play the game if you don't particularly like bowling or you continue to bowl the AI out cheaply.

Simply create a tour of your choice and once you get to the match settings screen select left or right on the d pad to choose your team. Once in the game simply save and exit upon finishing your batting innings and load up the saved game again but this time choose the team in which is due in to bat so you're effectively chasing down your own score :) This is how I played IC10 and had a lot of fun doing it.

smasta

Club Captain
By the way I have found an alternative way to play the game if you don't particularly like bowling or you continue to bowl the AI out cheaply.

Simply create a tour of your choice and once you get to the match settings screen select left or right on the d pad to choose your team. Once in the game simply save and exit upon finishing your batting innings and load up the saved game again but this time choose the team in which is due in to bat so you're effectively chasing down your own score :) This is how I played IC10 and had a lot of fun doing it.

By the way I was just going to write this up here. Yesterday I got bored and frustrated with my career player when batting didn't clicked and I got to do only bowling in 3 matches continuously. So started 8 team T20 KO and batted both sides choosing opponent side accidently when I loaded saved game after the dinner break I took between the innings. :thumbs

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
By the way I was just going to write this up here. Yesterday I got bored and frustrated with my career player when batting didn't clicked and I got to do only bowling in 3 matches continuously. So started 8 team T20 KO and batted both sides choosing opponent side accidently when I loaded saved game after the dinner break I took between the innings. :thumbs

Oh, so you can do it in competition mode as well. Even better! :thumbs

Howlingwolf

School Cricketer
Loving the game but confused as to why all the fielders pick up and throw left handed when probably 70% of the players in the game are right handed. Would have been nice if they picked up and threw with there appropriate hand so you could judge whether to risk a run. Although at the minute with the fielders accurate throwing arms that would make no difference if that is fixed would have been nice.

Exis

School Cricketer
Aight so yeah, what do I think of DBC14...I have mixed opinions all across the board.Firstly I wanna say thanks to Big Ant for takin' on such an enormous challenge by delvin' into a sports game as complicated as cricket...that's definitely not as easy thing to do, so kudos for even havin' the guts to do this when other companies don't.

I love the foundation you've set, aswell as the bar for others that wanna dip into the pool and try to raise shit a tad bit higher...you really should be proud whether this game turns out to be a massive success sales wise or an incredible flop, as you've achieved what a lot haven't nor have attempted.

The gameplay is fine imo...the mechanics are sound, battin' and bowlin' with the analog sticks is not only revolutionary but it just feels right...

Absolutely hate the cameras though, they never seem to give you a decent view of the action...and what's happenin' on field is a little strange to say the least.Graphically the game is woeful, probably the worst lookin' sports game that I have played on ps3, jerky animations do nothin' for me and in all honesty that's my only real problem with the game apart from commentary...which is dull at best.

Bug wise things aren't an issue...I've never been run out as when I hit the ball I can judge a run, push for two or three by holdin' sprint...and if the ball isn't into a gap I hit the O button and both batters stay in their ground.Also don't have a problem with bowlers losin' speed after a few overs either (maybe that's just a career mode thing?) so yeah the so called bugs that a lot are complainin' about mean shit to me.

My real complaints are about graphics and commentary as I stated previously, and as a cricket tragic I can definitely look beyond that and find solid gameplay underneath...

For the record I'm American, grew up in Jamaica and now live in Australia so I have a grasp on the sport...love it to death and in closin' Ima say if you could iron out some things, tinker with shit a little and don't listen to ****ers that want a fieldin' radar included 'cause they suck at findin' places to successfully score runs, then yeah you have a winner on your hands...a great franchise in the makin' is on the horizon my friends, and this is a great place to not only start but have us play until your next instalment arrives.

Gracias for the tremendous leap forward in computer cricket, You deserve all the accolades that come your way.

Howlingwolf

School Cricketer
Aight so yeah, what do I think of DBC14...I have mixed opinions all across the board.Firstly I wanna say thanks to Big Ant for takin' on such an enormous challenge by delvin' into a sports game as complicated as cricket...that's definitely not as easy thing to do, so kudos for even havin' the guts to do this when other companies don't.

I love the foundation you've set, aswell as the bar for others that wanna dip into the pool and try to raise shit a tad bit higher...you really should be proud whether this game turns out to be a massive success sales wise or an incredible flop, as you've achieved what a lot haven't nor have attempted.

The gameplay is fine imo...the mechanics are sound, battin' and bowlin' with the analog sticks is not only revolutionary but it just feels right...

Absolutely hate the cameras though, they never seem to give you a decent view of the action...and what's happenin' on field is a little strange to say the least.Graphically the game is woeful, probably the worst lookin' sports game that I have played on ps3, jerky animations do nothin' for me and in all honesty that's my only real problem with the game apart from commentary...which is dull at best.

Bug wise things aren't an issue...I've never been run out as when I hit the ball I can judge a run, push for two or three by holdin' sprint...and if the ball isn't into a gap I hit the O button and both batters stay in their ground.Also don't have a problem with bowlers losin' speed after a few overs either (maybe that's just a career mode thing?) so yeah the so called bugs that a lot are complainin' about mean shit to me.

My real complaints are about graphics and commentary as I stated previously, and as a cricket tragic I can definitely look beyond that and find solid gameplay underneath...

For the record I'm American, grew up in Jamaica and now live in Australia so I have a grasp on the sport...love it to death and in closin' Ima say if you could iron out some things, tinker with shit a little and don't listen to mobileers that want a fieldin' radar included 'cause they suck at findin' places to successfully score runs, then yeah you have a winner on your hands...a great franchise in the makin' is on the horizon my friends, and this is a great place to not only start but have us play until your next instalment arrives.

Gracias for the tremendous leap forward in computer cricket, You deserve all the accolades that come your way.

I didn't think the graphics were that bad to be honest yes there not up there with the fifas and nbas but look at there budget as for jerky animation I'm beginning to think this is a ps3 thing because I have now seen 3 complaints now and all have been from ps3 users but I don't have any on my xbox

Exis

School Cricketer
I don't care what you think son...my post wasn't for you, it was for who made the game.

Howlingwolf

School Cricketer
I don't care what you think son...my post wasn't for you, it was for who made the game.

Erm why the aggressive attitude I wasn't saying your opinion was wrong I'm saying you can't compare a big budget game to a game made by a small independent and as this is a forum you will get opinions and discussions.

Users who are viewing this thread