MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Rugby Challenge 2 which is published by Tru Blu/HES is currently on Steam.

They also are one of those publishers who screw over customers with regional pricing. The game is US$69.99 to buy in Australia (AU$77.51 - so basically the retail PC pricing from the first post), but US$49.99 in the US or ?29.99 in the UK - which is AU$50!

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on Steam, but if they do that with the pricing for DBC14, I hope no one in Australia buys it that way.

This is always fun to look at.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Rugby Challenge 2 which is published by Tru Blu/HES is currently on Steam.

They also are one of those publishers who screw over customers with regional pricing. The game is US$69.99 to buy in Australia (AU$77.51 - so basically the retail PC pricing from the first post), but US$49.99 in the US or ?29.99 in the UK - which is AU$50!

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on Steam, but if they do that with the pricing for DBC14, I hope no one in Australia buys it that way.

This is always fun to look at.

Looked at the link and was surprised at the difference in prices! Any idea why games in Aus are priced so high? Is it due to taxes, i.e. taxes are added to the cost in Aus whereas in US it's not included as part of the game? And are these prices shown for the same time-frame for all regions?

If the difference is so high, I would be tempted to go with a VPN service which offers a US IP address and purchase the game at US prices. I am sure lot of people would be doing so.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
You don't pay tax on those Steam prices, because you're buying from an overseas company - which means they basically set the prices in line with the retail prices that include tax, not have to pay that tax and just pocket the difference, as well as the saving from not having to make boxes, press discs, etc.

It's up to the publisher and not Steam whether they price with a single global price, or set them per market. Tru Blu seem to do the latter.

Because they can is probably the reason. Steam can block your account for using VPNs to avoid the pricing rip-offs and there's a bunch of PC gamers who don't want to have to put in the disc which gives them a reason to buy a digital copy despite the price.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
^^^^
If the difference in pricing across regions is so stark I would refuse to buy the game on the principle of not paying the "rip off tax".

In this case I would rather import the game from UK even though it's in a disc format and not digital.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
In this case I would rather import the game from UK even though it's in a disc format and not digital.
Unless I want a game day one, which I certainly do for DBC14, I'll import or just wait. Unlike Steam, there's good competition at the retail level that usually means you can save enough off the RRP that you're just paying a bit more to get it sooner.

I'm sure the majority of the difference goes to the retailer and publisher, not the developer, which makes it even harder to justify the purchase.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The issue for us here is that games are way more expensive to produce in Australia than elsewhere. To cut to the chase, we are way too good at digging stuff out of the ground so our dollar is strong, it's not wise to correlate this with the "reality" of value and cost of living in any given country, they don't bear much resemblance.

Aussies think we're being ripped off compared to the Poms, the Poms are getting ripped off compared to the Americans, the Americans are getting ripped off compared to the Indians... if we all pay what is valid in India then there is no industry.

In terms of Cricket specifically, without the Australian return on investment the game would certainly not be viable.

Our prices have been pretty stable regardless of the exchange rates, you win some years, you lose others.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Regardless of commercial realities - I can't look at paying more for a digital good based on my IP address as anything other than a rip off.

I can understand it at a retail level - you are buying from a shop where you need to pay Australian wages to all the employees involved in getting it to you - paying a bit more for the convenience of it being in your hands in the middle of nowhere is fine.

I suppose at least it isn't like trying to charge the $70 for a PC version of the game in Australia while selling it on Amazon for ?15 like a certain other cricket game.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
You have to think globally, average the income and divide it - if you get to pay the same as the cheapest nation then one of two things happen - the game does not get made or a cheaper game gets made.

If the dollar goes down then the pound goes up, it's all factored as part of the global income.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
If the dollar goes down then the pound goes up, it's all factored as part of the global income.
On Steam however I'm paying in US dollars - yet they set a US dollar price $20 higher because I'm in Australia. That price doesn't go down if the currency falls like it has recently.

If Australian domestic sales at the full retail price are that important to the viability of cricket games, shouldn't we get the game first by a few months to maximise that revenue?

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
On Steam however I'm paying in US dollars - yet they set a US dollar price $20 higher because I'm in Australia. That price doesn't go down if the currency falls like it has recently.

If Australian domestic sales at the full retail price are that important to the viability of cricket games, shouldn't we get the game first by a few months to maximise that revenue?

The price for games is pretty stable worldwide, what is not is the exchange rate.

There was a delay with Rugby League Live so as to minimise the impact with the importation back into Australia. I do not see that happening in the case of Don Bradman Cricket 14.

Dean2

School Cricketer
jb hifi has the 31.12.13 as release date is this just a guide because they don't know or is it the real one ?

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
Just a place holder date...

No official release date yet.

phil1987

Club Captain
Haha how does Tru Blu release Rugby challenge 2 which is barely a patch up of the initial Rugby challenge and still sell it for $89.
Its ok to do that because when you divide it on a global scale of RRP prices compared to England, U.S and India it makes it reasonable? How is that fair on us Aussies at all?

Ross's point is that games in Australia come at a much higher cost TO MAKE.

Please tell me how much Tru Blu and Sidhe MADE from scratch for Rugby Challenge 2. There was hardly anything new in it. It was just a patch up and a very very poor one at it yet they put it on the shelves for $89.

To see Tru Blu on the cover of DBC14 was a bit of a let down to be honest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread