Editor for Cricket Captain 2018 (Release)

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
Don't think that potential abilities does anything noticeable, players never reach potential attri

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
@TemPSaad I have checked and I think it is working fine. I can see a player's ability increase by about 10% within about 3 years.
I meant to say that players never reach their potential attribute , they do however improve a bit each season but it is irrespective of what you set their potential attribute manually, like I tested two players with similar initial ability but one player with legendary potential attribute and one with decent potential attribute and I sim through the decade only to find that even after a decade both players current skill attributes are more or less similar and yes they improved like 25% from their initial skills but I thought the one with legendary potential will turn in to a legendary player which didn't happen.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
I also tested couple of other players with high initial ratings but very low potential rating I-e 1500 current skill and 1000 potential attribute, one player after a decade was 1650 and the other player initial skill was drop from 1500 to 1200 automatically after 1st season in which he performed dramatically well and he never manage more than 1250 skill after a decade, so it worked for one player but it didnt for another player.[DOUBLEPOST=1589490124][/DOUBLEPOST]I think there are some other hidden mechanic on potential attribute as well.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
One another case I like to mention, I set 1000 initial rating for one player and 1800 potential rating and he flops straight in 4 seasons and then he started performing dramatically after than and after a decade his skill were 1580 something.

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
@TemPSaad I think the slow improvement (regardless of potential ability) could just be the way the game works. It is possible that the maximum improvement per year is very limited. However, it is also definitely possible that there are other important factors we don't know about yet.

There are several ways we could try to confirm this. Probably the best way would be to set identical "ability" and "potential" attributes for several players (or even a whole squad) and see if they improve at different rates. For example, set the whole squad to 1000 batting ability, 1500 batting potential, 1100 bowling ability and 700 bowling potential.

At first, it would be best to use no training. (Later, it might be interesting to see what effect training has).

If the players improve at very different rates, then we will know for sure that there is some other factor (or factors) we need to find.

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
@weetabixharry, I think the problem is that the ability seems to up in the editor but the player does not perform or get chosen inspite of this. Maybe there's some other hidden attribute?

@Prashanth S Kharche I haven't tested it myself yet, but from what you said, I think there must definitely be some factor(s) we don't know about that affect the AI team selections.

I have always doubted that the AI looks at batting/bowling averages. However, I have just finished adding player statistics to the editor (which I will upload later today, Friday), so we could test that too. However, to find a real answer, we may need to try something more scientific (instead of just guessing: ability, potential, averages, ...).

Right now, I can't think of a good method. One thing possibly worth trying would be to try to get a star player dropped from a team. For example, you could try reducing Joe Root's batting ability to 800 and see if he gets immediately dropped by England. If he does, then this confirms that ability is one factor that directly influences selection. If he doesn't get dropped, then it's more interesting: ability doesn't directly influence selection, so it must be something else...

Prashanth S Kharche

Club Captain
@weetabixharry I think I probably know the issue. It's age-related. Once a player reaches 30-32, his selection from the AI is very difficult unless you increase the ability to very high numbers. Even then, he hardly performs. I think this is where the issue lies.

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
@weetabixharry I think I probably know the issue. It's age-related. Once a player reaches 30-32, his selection from the AI is very difficult unless you increase the ability to very high numbers. Even then, he hardly performs. I think this is where the issue lies.

I just did my own tests with a (very weak) 20-year-old batsman. I increased his ability and potential and he was selected to bat at number 3 for England within 1 year.

If you think it is age-related, then one option is to reduce the player's age in the editor.

Prashanth S Kharche

Club Captain
@weetabixharry Yes. Even I just did that. Strange weakness for young players. I suspect that's why regeneration players are coming into the picture very early, say 2-3 years into the game. I guess its a flaw in the AI, nothing much we can do about it except change the age of the players. Every cricketer has his best years between 28-35, but the AI seems to shun them!

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
@Prashanth S Kharche Yeah I agree - I think this is probably a flaw in the AI. Until I can figure out how to edit squad selections, there's not much we can do. You could try reporting it on the childishthings.com forums and there's a (very) small chance a developer will be interested and fix it in Cricket Captain 2021+.

I have made virtually no progress with editing squad selections. Hoping for a breakthrough soon.

Prashanth S Kharche

Club Captain
@Prashanth S Kharche Yeah I agree - I think this is probably a flaw in the AI. Until I can figure out how to edit squad selections, there's not much we can do. You could try reporting it on the childishthings.com forums and there's a (very) small chance a developer will be interested and fix it in Cricket Captain 2021+.

I have made virtually no progress with editing squad selections. Hoping for a breakthrough soon.
Well, I know how frustrating it must be for everyone when you try to play a career mode. You want to play against a proven opposition team, not one filled with virtually unknown regenerated players!

All the other flaws of gameplay could be overlooked but not this. You're right, the developers won't fix this till 2022 or later I feel. I have left several messages on the forum as well as their FB page. But no response would mean that they're aware but can't really find an easy fix!

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
@TemPSaad I have added ability and potential randomization. Please download and try 2018.09-07. This new editor also includes a new tab for editing player statistics.

To use ability and potential randomization, change the "Hidden Attributes" selector to "Hidden". This will hide the ability and potential attributes and replace the standard editing controls with randomization controls.

To randomize ability, set the "Min." and "Max" ability and click "Rand". By default, random Batting Ability will be between 1000 and 1500, and random Bowling Ability between 700 and 1000.

Random potential is similar, except it is an offset from the ability. By default, random Batting Potential will be between (Ability + 0) and (Ability + 300), and random Bowling Potential between (Ability - 0) and (Ability - 100).

Always click "Apply" to save your changes.

Screenshot09-07.png

Users who are viewing this thread