Editor for Cricket Captain 2020 (Release)

fastbowler85

School Cricketer
Hi, long time lurker first time poster.
First off, kudos for the monumental efforts of the editor.
I'd like to know if this editor provides function to export statistics of completed matches within the game?

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
Hi, long time lurker first time poster.
First off, kudos for the monumental efforts of the editor.
I'd like to know if this editor provides function to export statistics of completed matches within the game?

Currently, the only part of the editor related to statistics is the "Player Statistics" tab in the player editor. So, currently no match stats can be exported.

As far as I know, individual match summaries (including the scorecard) can already be exported from within Cricket Captain. Would that meet your needs? If not, then this could be added to the editor. What exactly would you like to export? And do you want any specific format (simple .csv spreadsheets would probably be easiest)?

fastbowler85

School Cricketer
Thanks for the reply weetabixharry.

I do data analysis as a hobby, and would like to be able to export mass data from the game. Admittedly haven't bought the 2020 version yet, but I have played around a bit in earlier versions with the included export features. From what I have seen you can export the scorecard manually after a game is finished, and it requires you to click into the game, save scorecard, go find the txt file.

As you can see this is not exactly streamlined for mass data analysis and the txt file is not really a great format.

So, yes CSV file would be a great place to start with the goal of being able to export a custom date range of results. I have a rough idea of the fields I'd be after perhaps I could DM you with further info?

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
@fastbowler85 Usually I think it makes sense to continue any discussions in the forum, just in case someone else comes along with a similar interest. However, you can also send information via DM if you prefer.

One thing I'm not sure about is how long match summaries persist for in Cricket Captain. (If I remember correctly, only the current season can be accessed via the Fixtures and Results screen, so possibly they're deleted after each season). Still, exporting once per season should be a lot better than once per match.

I guess one main goal might be to be able to export every completed match listed in the Fixtures and Results screen (I don't think any other match summaries exist). One route to achieving this might be to use what we already know about the fixtures format from Isura's Fixture Editor. I've got the Fixture Editor partly working for Cricket Captain 2020, but have been a bit lazy with it recently.

However, as a first step I probably just need to figure out how to export individual matches. I'll post back here when I make any progress.

Admittedly haven't bought the 2020 version yet

There is a free demo on Steam if you want to try it out. (I think it's limited to playing just a handful of matches, so not ideal for data analysis).

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@fastbowler85 Usually I think it makes sense to continue any discussions in the forum, just in case someone else comes along with a similar interest. However, you can also send information via DM if you prefer.

One thing I'm not sure about is how long match summaries persist for in Cricket Captain. (If I remember correctly, only the current season can be accessed via the Fixtures and Results screen, so possibly they're deleted after each season). Still, exporting once per season should be a lot better than once per match.

I guess one main goal might be to be able to export every completed match listed in the Fixtures and Results screen (I don't think any other match summaries exist). One route to achieving this might be to use what we already know about the fixtures format from Isura's Fixture Editor. I've got the Fixture Editor partly working for Cricket Captain 2020, but have been a bit lazy with it recently.

However, as a first step I probably just need to figure out how to export individual matches. I'll post back here when I make any progress.

There is a free demo on Steam if you want to try it out. (I think it's limited to playing just a handful of matches, so not ideal for data analysis).

I wonder if it is possible to do something like the almanack for Cricket Coach where you can export the data for an entire season? It is unlikely that you can export anything more than results where as in Cricket Coach if I remember correctly you could even navigate the file for stats and other cool stuff without coding for it specifically (seriously, why have the devs not implemented this?! Doesn't require anything new or out of the box). Do matches other than our domestic and all international games get actually simmed? For example, if I play with South Africa or NZ, is it possible to get the result of a county match exported? I know it is impossible ingame to view it (again, another feature that makes so much sense but is missing) but given how the form and stats gets calculated and displayed on player profiles, is it not being simmed somewhere but the player can't view it for some reason?

fastbowler85

School Cricketer
@weetabixharry @Bevab Fantastic, downloading the demo now.

Essentially I'd want all the stats from every completed match in the game. I'd like to be able to export this at any time if possible (5 games in, end of season etc...). Haven't played Cricket Coach in a while so forget what the almanac looked like.
I just started playing around with a csv to try and mimic how I'd want the data laid out, there would definitely be a challange to handling the different stats columns for batting and bowling. I'd likely be importing the csv into an external program for analysis with R, and haven't found a clean layout I'd be happy with yet, especially for test matches with multiple innings.

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
@weetabixharry @Bevab Fantastic, downloading the demo now.

Essentially I'd want all the stats from every completed match in the game. I'd like to be able to export this at any time if possible (5 games in, end of season etc...). Haven't played Cricket Coach in a while so forget what the almanac looked like.
I just started playing around with a csv to try and mimic how I'd want the data laid out, there would definitely be a challange to handling the different stats columns for batting and bowling. I'd likely be importing the csv into an external program for analysis with R, and haven't found a clean layout I'd be happy with yet, especially for test matches with multiple innings.

Pretty much any sane format would be okay on my side. For me, the main challenge is getting the data out of the game memory (and knowing which stat is where). The final output format can be converted relatively easily. So just let me know whenever you have some ideas.

@Bevab I played Cricket Coach very little (many years ago), so I also can't recall the almanac. But it sounds like this is roughly what we want. Stats exporting has been mentioned to the Cricket Captain devs, but probably not quite on this scale. To be honest, there's a pretty healthy crossover between people who like cricket and people who like data, so it would be a nice feature to add. And, like you say, this would be a relatively easy feature to add on their side.

Jamesb1234321

School Cricketer
Pretty much any sane format would be okay on my side. For me, the main challenge is getting the data out of the game memory (and knowing which stat is where). The final output format can be converted relatively easily. So just let me know whenever you have some ideas.

@Bevab I played Cricket Coach very little (many years ago), so I also can't recall the almanac. But it sounds like this is roughly what we want. Stats exporting has been mentioned to the Cricket Captain devs, but probably not quite on this scale. To be honest, there's a pretty healthy crossover between people who like cricket and people who like data, so it would be a nice feature to add. And, like you say, this would be a relatively easy feature to add on their side.

Hi @weetabixharry - love the editor mode, been long looking for it for this game. Is it possible to use the version with real stats shown? Not sure how to show I'm good for it, but am happy to help in the work making a new one or something.

Lenix43

School Cricketer
Would it be possible to edit contract types in the editor?

For example I know domestic t20 only contracts exist as players like Paul Stirling start the game on them however I can't sign players on them myself. Doing it via the editor would be a nice workaround.

Lenix43

School Cricketer
Would it be possible to edit contract types in the editor?

For example I know domestic t20 only contracts exist as players like Paul Stirling start the game on them however I can't sign players on them myself. Doing it via the editor would be a nice workaround.

Ignore this I've just realised it's already there.

Another thing, would it be possible to add a button that with one click sets the budgets of all counties to zero? At the start of a new save I change all county budgets to this to stop them signing all the uncontracted players in the first transfer window allowing me to play the first season with real squads. I then set the budgets back after the contract window.

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
Sorry for the late replies...

Hi @weetabixharry - love the editor mode, been long looking for it for this game. Is it possible to use the version with real stats shown? Not sure how to show I'm good for it, but am happy to help in the work making a new one or something.

Some player statistics are shown in the "Player Statistics" tab. Editing statistics doesn't work correctly in some specific cases (fixing this is on my to-do list).

Ignore this I've just realised it's already there.

Another thing, would it be possible to add a button that with one click sets the budgets of all counties to zero? At the start of a new save I change all county budgets to this to stop them signing all the uncontracted players in the first transfer window allowing me to play the first season with real squads. I then set the budgets back after the contract window.

I don't currently know an easy way to do this. Basically, I know how to iterate through the players in a given club, but I don't know how to iterate through the clubs in a given league. I don't think this would be too hard, but I won't have any time to spend on new features for the editor for a few weeks at least.

Lenix43

School Cricketer
No worries Harry.

I've had another idea that would be really useful. I find it very hard to rate 'decent' players. For example an opening batsman in real life who is pretty average and pretty agressive so might score 2 or 3 fifties in the Blast and will be useful in the Championship but probably not threaten 1000 runs.

It would be good if I could load player A who I know is at this level and click a 'save ability' button, the editor would then store the players batting or bowling ability (invisible to me) then I load a player B and click 'apply ability' and player B's ability is set the same as player A.

If I have a rubbish in game player who I think is underrated (perhaps due to real life performances) it can be very hard to use a % or a figure with no context to get them just right as you don't want to risk making them too good and equally if nerfing an over powered player may not want to make them too bad.

Lenix43

School Cricketer
No worries Harry.

I've had another idea that would be really useful. I find it very hard to rate 'decent' players. For example an opening batsman in real life who is pretty average and pretty agressive so might score 2 or 3 fifties in the Blast and will be useful in the Championship but probably not threaten 1000 runs.

It would be good if I could load player A who I know is at this level and click a 'save ability' button, the editor would then store the players batting or bowling ability (invisible to me) then I load a player B and click 'apply ability' and player B's ability is set the same as player A.

If I have a rubbish in game player who I think is underrated (perhaps due to real life performances) it can be very hard to use a % or a figure with no context to get them just right as you don't want to risk making them too good and equally if nerfing an over powered player may not want to make them too bad.

Any thoughts Hazza?

weetabixharry

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
Any thoughts Hazza?

I thought I replied to this weeks ago - I guess not.

I think the closest we could get to this would be to completely overwrite the player with "player A" and then try to re-overwrite the parts that we want to keep from the original player.

This could run into a lot of problems (like crashing the game and/or corrupting your savegame) and I don't see it as an improvement over what is already implemented.

Users who are viewing this thread