England in Sri Lanka March-April 2011/12

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
I agree, it's not at all relevant to a series in Sri Lanka, more making a point how Bell is getting the criticism and Strauss seemingly isn't...

lancashire666

International Coach
Interesting team from England today, Cook being left out to let Patel and Ravi have a shoot out for the number 6 spot maybe?

Wonder who is going to open? Prior, Bell or Trott most likely, and Id expect it to be Trott with Bell in at 3 where he said he wants to bat and did so pretty successfully last year.

Swann again struggling in what you would expect to be good conditions for him,but it was good to see Broad back in the team, and in the wickets as well.

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
Well this happens when you dont play Panesar :p Swann cannot pick wickets on SC conditions

Owzat

International Coach
I agree, it's not at all relevant to a series in Sri Lanka, more making a point how Bell is getting the criticism and Strauss seemingly isn't...

Strauss has had his fair share in the past.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Just reading abour England's exploits in the field yesterday. Apparently it was so hot yesterday that Prior kept wicket without any pads on for the first two sessions and lost 4kg in weight! Bit warm at the moment is it?!

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
To be honest 46C I thought I read somewhere. That's bordering on dangerous.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
They'd stop the tennis at that heat. I wonder what is the policy on playing in an ice vest.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Crazy that they'd stop a 3 set tennis match, but not a 30 over bowling spell, or equally as dangerous to the player, an 8 hour batting knock.

Highlander999

ICC President
Another failure for Bell, he is just looking like a walking wicket. If he fails again, I reckon this should be the team

Cook
Strauss
Trott
KP
Bopara
Patel
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Panesar/Finn

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Even for Sri Lanka that looks a bit batter-light. I'd feel much more confident about Bell filling his boots with a score than Bopara or Patel.
That said you may have a point about balance. If all the pitches are decks we can't really go in with 4 1/2 bowlers.

Sureshot

Executive member
Strauss has had his fair share in the past.

Indeed, just not so much now, when he is arguably more deserving of it. Still, some runs today and I'd love for him to prove me wrong, not that I think he'll go beyond the 2013 double Ashes anyway.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
if it's going to be that heat two spinners is a must, possibly even the part-time option as well. I sometimes feel that's an element that's forgotten about in SC conditions, it's not always just that wickets aren't good for quick bowling and are good for spin. it's because after running in when it's 40 degrees a few times you'll be dead on your feet.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah definitely plays a massive factor. Batting as well, it isn't so much dealing with the fact the ball isn't doing very much. It's coping with a ball that isn't coming onto the bat coupled with retaining concentration in sweltering heat. Easy to play a loose cut shot to ball-outside-off-stump-number-158 and play on or get a thin edge.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I have to be honest I'm really not sure why we didn't take the full batting time. Our players need time in the middle not not time slogging it out in extreme heat in the field.

Owzat

International Coach
I have to be honest I'm really not sure why we didn't take the full batting time. Our players need time in the middle not not time slogging it out in extreme heat in the field.

Exactly what I came on here to post. Pietersen is in form from the ODIs so surely they could have batted Bopara at three and Patel at four with Bell at five and KP at six. Once the openers had got in they could have retired out, I doubt their 1st class averages mean that much to them (as if 100 or 50 would make a lot of difference over 100s of innings anyway)

The bowlers already toiled for 100 overs, Swann did nothing and Patel nothing special, so I'm not sure other than trying to get Swann in the wickets what they are hoping to achieve - especially as bowling wasn't the biggest problem in UAE, batting was

I think there are signs of favouritism, trying to get KP and Bell in form and not the batsman or batsmen that could be pivotal. Think about it captain, if you want to play Patel then he needs to spend time in the middle as well. Although I suspect England have already predetermined who will play, I think they think they are tactical geniuses and it doesn't really matter what happened before and during warm ups. I think they'll be undercooked under-strauss once more, just long enough between series and not long enough preparing. Aren't Sri Lanka playing a ODI competition so some of their players will be bang in form, even if Malinga is not going to play.

Users who are viewing this thread