England in Sri Lanka March-April 2011/12

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Doesn't it concern you that they are two of the best players of spin on the county circuit and have failed so abjectly? It's all very well saying drop the top order but who on earth for?
Time to find some Indian/Pakistanis/Sri Lankans with British grandparents...

lancashire666

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Its always harsh to criticise a bowler for losing his wicket when batsman, and I use that word very loosely, have spent the last few months doing there best Chris Martin impressions, but that was an awful shot from Swann, yet another from this team.
If you cant play spin, then please dont try and play the sweep shot to spinners in these conditions. You would of though Andy Flower would be honest to the team and tell them the truth, look guys, your not very good at playing spin, so dont try and play like Lara and sweep anything near the stumps!

Owzat

International Coach
Doesn't it concern you that they are two of the best players on spin on the county circuit and have failed so abjectly? It's all very well saying drop the top order but who on earth for?
Time to find some Indian/Pakistanis/Sri Lankans with British grandparents...

I thought I said before, kolpakkers! ;) Maybe we should recommend a few spend some time playing cricket in Sri Lanka, Pakistan and India to enhance their chances of being picked for England.

And I think the TMS team and other pundits are concluding it isn't about ability to play spin, these spinners aren't spinning England out, a lot of it is England's own fault because they preempt sweeps and really don't seem to have much of a clue re shot selection and approaches. How many batsmen have showed sense and application for more than 30 balls? Probably Trott and Prior, before the latter threw it away. They all show very brief glimpses of being able to bat out there, then get out without being a brilliant ball or daisy cutter.

Looking for spin playing ability in England is pointless, you should pick the players with the best application which is make most of their ability and sell their wicket dearly. I think a lot of our current batsmen are over-rated, they make runs in England against touring sides who take time to settle on good wickets and at a fast rate, but make it hard work and it's a different story.

----------

Its always harsh to criticise a bowler for losing his wicket when batsman, and I use that word very loosely, have spent the last few months doing there best Chris Martin impressions, but that was an awful shot from Swann, yet another from this team.
If you cant play spin, then please dont try and play the sweep shot to spinners in these conditions. You would of though Andy Flower would be honest to the team and tell them the truth, look guys, your not very good at playing spin, so dont try and play like Lara and sweep anything near the stumps!

Well said. It's not even like they aren't experienced players in Strauss, Cook, Pietersen and Bell. They should have some sense by now, but if they know they won't be dropped then they have no worries about getting themselves out. They always have their previous records to fall back on, but that won't win us matches now.

And does anyone else not think we should play the ODIs first? We might actually find a way to play spin with some matches under our belts, not that I'd pick the same players but while England do then why play ODIs second?!??! I doubt this order of Tests than ODIs increases the crowds or viewers any

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I'd definitely always play the ODIs first. We were even playing Ajmal all right the the final one in UAE.
I don't see who you'd drop of the top 5. The number 6 spot is already up for grabs obviously but if you look at the current top order:
Strauss - clearly out of form but dropping him means promoting Cook to captain and I don't think he's ready yet.
Cook - phenomenal recent record. Future captain etc.
Trott - a player who actually can apply himself and value his wicket.
KP - probably the most vulnerable tbh. Some decent scores in ODI cricket but nowhere near the player he was at test level.
Bell - had a prolific 2010 and is probably technically the best player in the side and one of the best players of spin.

Anderson out so last rites being prepared.

lancashire666

International Coach
18 England wickets fall to spin, fully expect Sri Lanka to drop one of the two seamers for the second test, they dont need two!

Cant wait to hear the England excuses :rolleyes

Sri Lanka played well, but i really believe England lost this game due to truly pathetic shot selection for the millionth time rather than Sri Lanka winning due to great bowling.

I actually dont want England to win the next test, they dont deserve to be number 1

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Nope, a batsman is in the side to bat and any batsman worth his sult would be insulted by being effectively demoted. If there was nothing to be read into it it wouldn't have happened ;)

It speaks volumes you are jumping to the defence of Patel, plays for Nottinghamshire, and that's your domestic team ;)

We need to keep this up, grind their attack into submission so they are the ones doubting they will win. We can't afford to get complacent, reaching 250/5 or even 270/5 will still leave work to be done so the two at the crease need to pretend they are the last pair and everything rests on them. They need to think in terms of one of them being at the crease at the end, whichever way it goes.

How has he been demoted? He's only just got in the side. I'd consider going from not being in the team to being in it a promotion. A wicketkeeper doesn't have to come in at 7 and batting below him shouldn't be seen as a punishment, he is after all the best batting keeper in the world.

Please don't accuse me of bias. It's something I most definitely am not. I personally don't think Patel should be in the team I just completely disagree with the statement you made that batting below Prior is indicative of anything

lancashire666

International Coach
Mark Butcher has just said England should play another bowler in the next game! I think England should play 8 batsman to just attempt to not lose as I have no hope that they can possibly win a test match in these conditions

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Frustrating result really. Dropped chances, missed run outs, no balls, pathetic shot selections, inability to knock the tail off with ease - all in one match to effectively cost us the game.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
England could have won this match really. A little more application and their batsmen would have chased it down. At least they did not get for below 100.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Mark Butcher has just said England should play another bowler in the next game! I think England should play 8 batsman to just attempt to not lose as I have no hope that they can possibly win a test match in these conditions

Well assuming Broad is injured I'd play Anderson, Finn, Bresnan, Swann, Panesar.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Also I'd swap Strauss and KP's batting positions. After all, Cook and KP got along so well facing the new ball in the ODIs, so why not give it a shot in the Tests?

Users who are viewing this thread