Story England International Season - September 8th, 2007 - India in England

Who will finish victorious in the Natwest ODI Series?

• Total voters

Pakistani Army

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Haha, much obliged guys! :)

England will rue putting down Ganguly with still a fair few overs to go, as he made a fantastically compiled century. His strike rate was above 90 runs per hundred balls, 91 to be precise and was the spearhead of the mass total of 297 runs. England leaked runs yes, but they took the wickets of Dravid, Yuvraj and Dhoni just when they looked to be establishing themselves, and were going to aid their captain at the other end.

It was a brave decision from the England captain to bring Pietersen at the death. I feel it was an excellent decision in the end, as by removing Pathan and Harbhajan, it stemmed the potential for more runs to be obtained. Despite Flintoff being able to reverse-swing the ball, and bowl very accurately at the death, i feel he would have found it difficult to dismiss both Pathan and Harbhajan, as an edge off his 86+mph bowling would have resulted in an instant boundary, with fine-leg likely being inside the circle during this stage of the innings.

The England bowlers were average, and no one out of the main five bowlers used, stood out. Even towards the end of the innings, short and wide is unacceptable, hence it was punished, despite the track being an excellent one for batting.

Overall, 297 runs to win is doable. In order for England to win, they will have to make certain of some factors. A) Their two pinch-hitters Lumb and Wright get the run-chase underway with a blistering start. B) The ten overs to be bowled by Harbhajan. On this hard wicket, bounce will be a certainty to be extracted by Harbhajan. England must make sure that they attempt to milk Harbhajan, even if it is for a sultry 3.00 tuns per over. As you highlighted earlier, i feel the main battle will be Irfan Pathan vs Kevin Pietersen.

Overall, it should be a fantastic match. My prediction is that India are to win by 18-27 runs.

Dipak

ICC Board Member
England will rue putting down Ganguly with still a fair few overs to go, as he made a fantastically compiled century. His strike rate was above 90 runs per hundred balls, 91 to be precise and was the spearhead of the mass total of 297 runs. England leaked runs yes, but they took the wickets of Dravid, Yuvraj and Dhoni just when they looked to be establishing themselves, and were going to aid their captain at the other end.

It was a brave decision from the England captain to bring Pietersen at the death. I feel it was an excellent decision in the end, as by removing Pathan and Harbhajan, it stemmed the potential for more runs to be obtained. Despite Flintoff being able to reverse-swing the ball, and bowl very accurately at the death, i feel he would have found it difficult to dismiss both Pathan and Harbhajan, as an edge off his 86+mph bowling would have resulted in an instant boundary, with fine-leg likely being inside the circle during this stage of the innings.

The England bowlers were average, and no one out of the main five bowlers used, stood out. Even towards the end of the innings, short and wide is unacceptable, hence it was punished, despite the track being an excellent one for batting.

Overall, 297 runs to win is doable. In order for England to win, they will have to make certain of some factors. A) Their two pinch-hitters Lumb and Wright get the run-chase underway with a blistering start. B) The ten overs to be bowled by Harbhajan. On this hard wicket, bounce will be a certainty to be extracted by Harbhajan. England must make sure that they attempt to milk Harbhajan, even if it is for a sultry 3.00 tuns per over. As you highlighted earlier, i feel the main battle will be Irfan Pathan vs Kevin Pietersen.

Overall, it should be a fantastic match. My prediction is that India are to win by 18-27 runs.
You should become a commentator. :)

Some very good feedback there.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
skysportslogowu1.gif

1st Innings Analysis

indiainenglandcopy.jpg

England vs India
7th Natwest ODI
September 8, 2007
Lords', London

Sourav Ganguly Wagon Wheels

gangulywagonwheel.png

gangulywagonwheel2.png

Hawkeye Sixes

hawkeyesixes.jpg

righthandersixes.jpg
lefthandersixes.jpg

These graphics show where the five balls that were hit for six pitched and at what height they came through to the batsmen. As you can see, anything short and at the body was punished, as well as full deliveries outside the off stump to the left handers at the end of the innings.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Trev, that hawk eye is sensational. :clap I can imagine how much time it would have taken you to make it. :)

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Didn't take too long. What I did was use the cricinfo hawkeye from one of the SA-Sri Lanka test and then used the pen tool to fill it in. What took the most time was finding the balls that were identical or close to the balls from the game. Cheers Aditya.

Pakistani Army

Panel of Selectors
Ganguly really did play a fantastic knock. He scored around all areas of the ground, and showed no mercy to the England bowlers.

Of the 5/6(?) sixes that were hit, two were on/at a good length. If i remember correctly, Pathan did hit two sixes towards the end of the Indian innings, with the bowler being Kevin Pietersen. The strategy was indeed correct, i.e:- to get the ball up, however due to Pietersen being a part-timer, there was the lack of experience not just for him, but for any spinner bowling at the death to get it fully up in the block-hole.

Moreover, by analysis the second graphic, we can see that two out of the three deliveries that Pathan smashed for six were in the arc for Pathan. As he did show with that line and length, it was easy for him to get underneath the ball, therefore a six was near enough inevitable.

Superb analysis JT. Keep it going buddy. :thumbs

Last edited:

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Got a bit of a dilemma here. The save file, for some reason, is at the 20 over mark in the game. I'm going to assume this has something to do with me backing up my files when I had to put the laptop back to factory settings. I have no idea where my controller is that I use to select both sides, and therefore can't even start a new game and pretend it was the 2nd innings.

So bare with me whilst I try and think of a solution.

Pakistani Army

Panel of Selectors
Got a bit of a dilemma here. The save file, for some reason, is at the 20 over mark in the game. I'm going to assume this has something to do with me backing up my files when I had to put the laptop back to factory settings. I have no idea where my controller is that I use to select both sides, and therefore can't even start a new game and pretend it was the 2nd innings.

So bare with me whilst I try and think of a solution.

No worries man, let's hope you end up fixing the problem.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Cricket 2004 may make a return to finish off the series. Just sorting out the folder now, hopefully I can crack on and play the 50 overs on Wednesday when I have a day off.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I can confirm that the final 50 overs of the series will be completed on Cricket 2004. Very happy about that.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Ignore the last few posts. I've been having the speed issue with Cricket 2004 once again, and have found a way to use my PS3 controller on my laptop. So the game will be finished on Cricket 2005. Hope to have an update for you tomorrow, but don't count on that.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
skysportslogowu1.gif

England start well despite early loss

indiainenglandcopytn6.jpg

England vs India
7th Natwest ODI
September 8, 2007
Lord's, London

Overs 1-20: Highlights

Lord's prepares for the final innings of the series

28065159.jpg

The crowd eagerly await the England innings; India walk out onto the field; Zaheer Khan takes the first over

Khan strikes with just his 3rd ball

46875163.jpg

Big celebration from Khan; Lumb rocks onto the back foot; But plays the short and wide ball back onto his stumps

Bell lives dangerously

60490408.jpg

A direct hit would have seen Bell dismissed; Bell drives on the up through the off side for four; Close but he makes his ground

Wright looks to increase the tempo

17680921.jpg

Hit back over the bowler's head for four; Hoisted away into the leg side; Wright plays and misses off the back foot

Bowling change provides the breakthrough

53751242.jpg

The umpire raises his finger; Bell is hit on the pad in line with the stumps; India celebrate an important wicket

Wright and Pietersen attack

61122750.jpg

Smashed into the off side by Wright; Down the track and lucky to survive; Pietersen hits his first boundary off the back foot

Harbhajan almost strikes immediately

38348431.jpg

Harbhajan is upset at the decision; Hit in line but may have turned too much; Pietersen sweeps for four from the final ball

englandscoreboard.jpg

indiabowlingcard.jpg

England need 191 runs to win from 30 overs.

Users who are viewing this thread