England

Dutchmen

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't think he may play that good in the WC. He just played 6 games and those 5 where against the Pakistan. If he does well in this series against Australia, then he may take hes place back.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Davies is almost certainly going to be opener and wicket keeper come World Cup. We've changed things last minute at previous World Cups and look where its got us.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Davies is almost certainly going to be opener and wicket keeper come World Cup. We've changed things last minute at previous World Cups and look where its got us.

WRONG! They've gone back to Prior...
World Cup 2011 news: England choose Matt Prior over Steve Davies | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

Raises some questions. Where will he bat? Who will open? Bell?

Personally I think they should never have dicked around with Prior in the first place. Try your new keeper in T20 if you want to get someone new involved.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I was surprised about Prior's inclusion as well. Personally I feel they shouldn't have dropped Prior in the first place. I wonder whether he will play in the current ODI series against Australia.

Chris Tremlett is unlucky to be left out after his Ashes performance. Luke Wright must feel happy that he is included.

ferg512

International Coach
This doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. So Davies will continue to play in the upcoming ODIs (which are pretty much world cup warm ups) while Prior who is selected will not be playing. I can't really see what Davies has done wrong tbh.

----------

I had no idea that Wright made it in, you may as well have included both Prior and Davies instead of that guy.

Highlander999

ICC President
Nah according to BBC Sport, Prior is gonna take Davies position for the rest of the ODI's opening with Strauss. Not too sure what to make of this. He certainly was in good form during the Ashes, but ODI cricket in the sub-continent is such a different kettle of fish.

ferg512

International Coach
Ok, I still feel pretty sorry for Davies though. I thought hes been pretty excellent since hes been in the team.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Ah good to know we aren't alone with crazy selectors. If Prior was in the frame then surely he should have been in the ODI squad and what if Victoria didn't get him for the Big Bash? I'm guessing he would have been in England meaning they would need to fly him back. Also not seeing what Davies has done wrong, especially if the selectors have used the 1st ODI.

Sureshot

Executive member
I (sort of) called it the other day. Hardly think it's a craxy decision, he's in pretty good nick, even if his previous ODI record isn't that great.

Be interesting to see how he goes in the rest of the ODIs in Aus. It's a pretty big call, bit harsh on Davies.

Owzat

International Coach
England's World Cup squad:
Andrew Strauss (Middlesex, capt)
Matt Prior (Sussex, wk)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Kevin Pietersen (Surrey)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)
Paul Collingwood (Durham)
Luke Wright (Sussex)
Michael Yardy (Sussex)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
James Tredwell (Kent)
Ajmal Shahzad (Yorkshire)
James Anderson (Lancashire)

So Prior pretty much was dropped from ODIs and batted mostly near the top of the order if not opening with an average of around 25 and it's decreed he can go back there?!?!?

This reminds me a bit of the 1999 squad in the number of bits n pieces players. Is anyone in the side good enough for number seven? Wright is, well something that rhymes with write.

England won't get anywhere near winning the World Cup, if they had a few strong inclusions I could make a case but too many inclusions are questionable with the typical lack of foreplanning to give EXPERIENCE where it is needed. Wright needs more experience at not being picked

Sureshot

Executive member
Maybe the question is, do we have someone who can play at #7? I've not seen many suggestions, Trego seems to have been mentioned by a lot, but he has no experience at international level and has a certain reputation in the county scene.

I'm surprised by Wright's inclusion, though I don't see him playing.

I'd also say the only bits and pieces player is Wright, given how many overs Yardy is bowling, he has to be considered a bowling all-rounder.

Owzat

International Coach
Maybe the question is, do we have someone who can play at #7? I've not seen many suggestions, Trego seems to have been mentioned by a lot, but he has no experience at international level and has a certain reputation in the county scene.

I'm surprised by Wright's inclusion, though I don't see him playing.

I'd also say the only bits and pieces player is Wright, given how many overs Yardy is bowling, he has to be considered a bowling all-rounder.

I included Yardy as "bits n pieces" because he bats so low and not that much. He does tend to bowl more than four overs, but not always his full 10 and in my book anyone who bowls five overs and doesn't get bowled out very often, which he does, is bits n pieces. Bresnan too, he doesn't really have a strong suit in either discipline (IMHO) despite a decent Ashes.

Tredwell may well bowl more because of where the World Cup is, but for me he's bits n pieces as well. Broad as well, although he bowls well in ODIs, still isn't batting to all-rounder strength but playing as an all-rounder, so perhaps in that instance he's just being used in the wrong role/bat too high

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
So Prior gets picked for ODi's on Test form again, brilliant. Awful ODi record, very few domestic OD runs and not too many signs of genuine improvement to his OD game in England last year. He looked decent in a couple of T20 knocks, but other than that showcased very little. Prior might have a marginal edge in the keeping, but Davies will score more runs at a better strike rate. Worse selection than keeping Luke Wright for me.

Should have ditched Wright, and brought in Bopara to fill the finishing role. Offers more with the bat, as much with the ball and is as good in the field. Stuck with Davies and picked Fats Patel ahead of Tredwell. My XV would have been:

Strauss
Davies
Bell
Pietersen
Morgan
Bopara
Yardy
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Collingwood
Trott
Patel
Shahzad/Tremlett (depending on who has the better ODi series vs Aus)

Depth in the batting, a proper finisher at 6 in Bopara, Yardy's good enough to bat 7 and the bowlers pick themselves. Tad harsh on Trott, but for me, Trott either bats 3 or doesn't play. Bell is the form player, and I'd have him at 3. Some may disagree, but I like that team personally.

Users who are viewing this thread