English Domestic Cricket 2007

Animator! said:
But Rashid is 19.
It would be absolutely pathetic if we called him up for England duty within the next 2-3 year.
He needs to play 2-3 years of county cricket before hand.
We can't afford to screw another young spinner up like we have done some many times before; Dawson, Scofield, Salisbury.
lol I'm not saying we call him up but just that OD experience is just as important as FC experience imo if we want a more rounded player

He has plenty of time to play OD cricket.
Missing one game at the start of the season isn't going to do that much damage.

Another pathetic batting once again from Lancashire. Only really Chapple got going and he played a super little knock. Marshall and Cross chipped in with cameos, and we recovered we a competitive total after being 112-8.

3 early wickets and we looked in with a good shout, the innings that really won it for them was Groenevald's. He hit some meaty blows and when they were behind the rate they did that with Ambrose playing sensibly at the other end. They got home by 2 wickets:(, no trip for us to Lords this season then. Never mind, it'll have to be the CC:D

Incredible goings on at the Oval. I dont get how Vaughan gets to play for Yorkshire, while we have to till next Sunday to play Freddie. We should win next week with Fred, Saj and Jimmy back and with Northants still without Monty.

treva said:
No it's about seeing him bat as I said. He looks in great form and when he does come back to the England side, he will maintain the status of England's best opening batsman and maybe overall batsman level with Pietersen.

Steve Jones

Steve James

---------

:p at Treva :D

Great comeback by the Sharks today. Monty was good whilst batting as was Goodwin, and Rana at the end was useful.

The bowling start was poor but we came back through Mushy mainly and latter on Martin Jenkins and latterly Rana who bowled two perfect yorkers (lke England don't).

Last edited:
barmyarmy said:
I can't believe that Surrey score: 496 off 50 overs. Rikki Clarke hitting 82 off 28 (and yes those numbers are the right way round)!
Full scorecard here.
While England can't rely on a opening partnership to score 50 runs in 10 overs, what is that Benning guy doing in the county circuit? Surely he's a career international. At the very least, England could do with another player of that attitude.

268 isn't at all bad is it? :D

The best economy of the Gloucs bowlers was 8.3 rpo :D

Benning for England - angryangy...

Well his name has been brought up on here and occasionally on the TV too. He made a big OD hundred last year too iirc 170 odd iirc. I certainly wouldn't have any objections to him playing.

Sureshot said:
Steve James

---------

:p at Treva :D

Great comeback by the Sharks today. Monty was good whilst batting as was Goodwin, and Rana at the end was useful.

The bowling start was poor but we came back through Mushy mainly and latter on Martin Jenkins and latterly Rana who bowled two perfect yorkers (lke England don't).
That's the badger lol :p

And yes Mushy's inclusion turned the game and martin-Jenkins tbh didn't bowl great but managed to get the 2 crucial wickets of Blackwell and White!

Sureshot said:
Benning for England - angryangy...

Well his name has been brought up on here and occasionally on the TV too. He made a big OD hundred last year too iirc 170 odd iirc. I certainly wouldn't have any objections to him playing.
I think its important not to get too carried away. Lets not forget Surrey play in Div2 for Pro40 and only got promoted to Div1 of the Championship this season, and Gloucestershire are newly promoted to Div1 for Pro40 and play championship in div2.

I'm not saying he's not worth a shot in the future but there is quite a step up from playing in a match between these two teams and facing India or the West Indies.

Got to dig the Middlesex Twenty20 kit this season! :laugh

Kev said:
I think its important not to get too carried away. Lets not forget Surrey play in Div2 for Pro40 and only got promoted to Div1 of the Championship this season, and Gloucestershire are newly promoted to Div1 for Pro40 and play championship in div2.

I'm not saying he's not worth a shot in the future but there is quite a step up from playing in a match between these two teams and facing India or the West Indies.

I for one would like to see Benning playing a lot more cricket for Surrey, hopefully he will this season, and then he'll almost certainly force his way into the England setup.
I think the question that should be asked though is (not really connected to this but a rant regarding Surrey, so...); why has Ali Brown never played a test? 15,000 runs at around 45 should have secured him a place in the team a long time ago (obviously he wouldn't have as many runs, but the average would probably be better) but he's never played one and now never will :brickwall

I guess Stats don't tell the full story, I'm sure there are other cricketers on the county circuit who have similar stats but haven't played a test either. I guess timing plays a part (not in the batting sense) A national team is a pretty hard thing to break into and you have to be hitting form when a place is up for grabs, maybe he just never hit form at quite the right time?

Kev said:
I guess Stats don't tell the full story, I'm sure there are other cricketers on the county circuit who have similar stats but haven't played a test either. I guess timing plays a part (not in the batting sense) A national team is a pretty hard thing to break into and you have to be hitting form when a place is up for grabs, maybe he just never hit form at quite the right time?

Maybe, I've only been following Surrey for 4/5 years, he was still a bit "past it" when I started. From what I've seen though he's very consistent and when he plays well (quite often) he can dominate an attack as well as KP, but with a little more sensibility when required.

It's already been accepted by the council Sam....

I didn't exactly say he should be in the team asap, just I wouldn't object to his inclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread