English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bit of a wild suggestion but couldn’t the smaller counties merge? In truth they don’t really contribute much but to sit in Division two and remain sides without any realistic ambition.

Derbyshire into Lancashire

Leicestershire into Northamptonshire

Gloucestershire into Glamorgan

Worcestershire into Warwickshire

Essex into Kent or Kent into Essex

You would lose five teams but could have two leagues of seven teams.

More funds, more youth players to choose from.

Stronger county teams but a few upset fans maybe.
But then where would the bigger, Test hosting Counties poach all their players from?
Hampshire do so Somerset is the only non test ground in division 1, with Cardiff (Glamorgan) being the only one in division 2.
Like I said, worrying. Seems to be money is the only way to succeed.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I just think we have issues with the system. There is this sort of misconception that you have to be doing the job in Division One of the County Championship to be noticed by the England selectors. But it seems to me that you only have to be doing well for one of the bigger sides to be getting the nod for England. For me it just breeds the system that the best players will leave small clubs, to go to the bigger ones, purely for money reasons. That means that when good players become England players, the clubs that produced them aren't getting the financial rewards that they should be for me, which comes back to their bottom line suffering.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Anyone have a good sense what's going on with the County Championship for 2017?

I saw this tweet pop up:

Gpilley1

School Cricketer

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Anyone have a good sense what's going on with the County Championship for 2017?

I saw this tweet pop up:

First division 8 teams, second division 10 teams from 2017, 14 games per team so the first division will be everyone home and away whilst the second division will be playing a few teams only once.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
And so a new season and a new era begins. Good work with the ball for Somerset today, just a shame that we lost both openers. I sense a lot depends on Rogers and Hildreth tomorrow, which will probably be the case for most of the season in the Championship. Good that Gregory and Groenewald have started well with the ball though.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
So I'm going to attempt to follow Hampshire this season. First game is a terrible start. Need Dawson or Vince to stick around after top order fail. Disappointed with Vince though as he probably is trying to fit into the new 'exciting' brand of England cricket but this was the perfect time to dig in and play a gem of an innings. Good to see the how-hasn't-he-played-fifty-tests-McLaren doing well. I reckon if Tomlinson or Edwards can stick around and help McLaren get the score to around 250 we've somehow created a game...

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
So I'm going to attempt to follow Hampshire this season. First game is a terrible start. Need Dawson or Vince to stick around after top order fail. Disappointed with Vince though as he probably is trying to fit into the new 'exciting' brand of England cricket but this was the perfect time to dig in and play a gem of an innings. Good to see the how-hasn't-he-played-fifty-tests-McLaren doing well. I reckon if Tomlinson or Edwards can stick around and help McLaren get the score to around 250 we've somehow created a game...

Yay,a fellow Hampshire fan for the season then :D. Vince has a tendency not to try sticking around that often which quite often results in innings that will be called counterattacking with him going along at a very good SR but when it doesn't pay off it can sometimes look poor. Quick summary so far : Word is that Topley fractured his non bowling hand when batting yesterday so may be out for the first month or so now, Wood or Crane will probably replace him conditions dependent. Jimmy Adams should be fit for the next game (and will presumably replace Alsop opening the batting unless he does something special in the 2nd innings if we get there) whilst Gareth Berg ,our leading FC wicket taker last season and also adds some handy batting to what is currently a pretty long tail, is going to have surgery so will be out for quite a big chunk of the season.

With the whole day lost today this game looks more likely to end in a draw but the forecast looks ok for the next 2 days so some quick wickets could throw the game open a bit.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Well a lovely day down in the South West, but apparently pouring it down in Durham today, with more due for tomorrow. Ah well, a draw would be great from where we are. :D[DOUBLEPOST=1460492428][/DOUBLEPOST]That's so unfortunate for Topley too by the way. It would have done him the world of good to get some overs under his belt and get some confidence back in his game.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
So it looks like we are crumbling. Hampshire need to focus on signing/producing better fast bowlers. Tomlinson and Wood aren't good enough, Fidel is on and off so we banking on McLaren who can't lead an attack. Good to see Vince batting well. Hopefully my wonderkid makes the England squad vs Sri Lanka..

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Vince owes his bowlers a big score and some rest after opting to bowl first, without a toss. :D

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Ok this is becoming a joke at Hampshire with Fidel Edwards now out injured.

Edwards
Berg
Adams
Topley
Ervine
Wood (seemed to not be bowling the other day but may be being forced to now given the injury situation)
Dawson (Similar bowling issue)

If Vince gets called up we're really gonna struggle with all these issues. Benkenstein has said we're looking into possible loan deals.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Ok this is becoming a joke at Hampshire with Fidel Edwards now out injured.

Edwards
Berg
Adams
Topley
Ervine
Wood (seemed to not be bowling the other day but may be being forced to now given the injury situation)
Dawson (Similar bowling issue)

If Vince gets called up we're really gonna struggle with all these issues. Benkenstein has said we're looking into possible loan deals.

So many players injured that Benkenstein (our coach) had to take to the field for most of today.

Users who are viewing this thread