Fake Names

• Thread starter Deleted member 9102
  • Start date

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Please make Shane Watsnogoodatcricket (Watson) Please!

Australians are harsh with their cricketers, most of them didn't like Simon Katich either but he has a good technique. Shane Watson has the ability to score runs quickly so he would be good for England's team!

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
New Star Soccer has links to a site where you can get real names and logos from it and they havn't had any legal issues. What about that PlanetCricket staff team if it is in, maybe that could be the appropriate link.
I don't know anything about that game in particular, but I'm sure you would understand that it is best to be cautious around the legal issues, best not to get Paul sued, though obviously we can't stop people from posting a patch here and someone googleing it ;).

Are you going to use the proper names but with fake names and blame it on mispronunciation? :p
You are oddly close, but not quite there. Keep trying, that cookie could still be yours

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Yeah it is better to be absolutely sure that there is no legal issues surrounding anything in TAOC. It's quite easy to find PlanetCricket from Google anyway, I found it by searching "brian lara 2005 real names". So a simple search like "art of cricket real names" should bring it up. WHich a lot of people will do.
Yeah, we don't get sued and PlanetCricket gets members, everyone wins!

Are you going to be just using the proper commentary names but say somethig like "Any similarity between any person in the game and an actual person is purely coincidental".
As much as I'm enjoying keeping you guessing, I don't want you spending sleepless nights figuring it out. The full-ish explanation follows:
The names are fake, the commentary will be read from those fake names, but by a complete coincidence the fake names are pronounced exactly the same as the actual name, so when the written name is patched the spoken names will sound exactly right (despite the fact they are not the actual names of the players).
This is done basically by switching letters with other ones that make the same sound, here are some example names that best show it: Ganguly is Gangooley, O'Brien is O'Bryan, Tuffey is Toughie, Tait is Tate, Collingwood is Kollengwould. See a pattern emerging? Some names are very difficult to do this to so I have had to use letters like ß in some names, and it is obviously more difficult to do shorter names. Other names need to be 'creatively spoken' to sound right, but accidental mispronunciation may happen with some.
Hope that makes sense, and that people like the idea.

And the question, is Duff still working with you on commentary and how far are you with it? Have you started yet?
I haven't heard anything in relation to Duff's position on the commentary team, so at this stage he still is and in my view it would be disappointing if he didn't. I'll try to ask him directly though. I personally haven't started, I started writing lines a while back but haven't done anything on it in a while, I mean to do it in the school holidays that are coming up for me in about a month so I can do it all within a short space of time (so my voice is consistent).
If someone can dig up the 'Commentary Lines' thread and post a bunch more lines it will be greatly appreciated

D

Deleted member 9102

Edit: Chris Gayle

Last edited by a moderator:

Krypta

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Will the fake names be chosen from the "Commentary Names" thread?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
If you mean that will fake names be made from the names people have put forward to be put in, I would say that it would be very unlikely and even if it did then they would sound the same.

In my opinion, a person is the license holder of their own name, so if they have posted their name for use in The Art of Cricket, they are licensing the developers to use that name.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
If I remember correctly I think manee had a huge list of commentary lines he wrote up which could come in handy for all of the commentary team.
Yeah he did, though IIRC it wasn't completely finished

Great idea that about the names though
Thanks

P.S. - Will the Umpires and Stadiums be done in the same way? will they be spoken by the commentators? For example "Welcome to the game here at <stadium>" and "The umpires for todays game are <umpires>.
Stadiums are more likely to be using the place name, like the MCG would just be called Melbourne, though the sound files for the actual names of the stadiums might accidentally leak ;). The umpires however will be like any other name

Will the fake names be chosen from the "Commentary Names" thread?
In my opinion, a person is the license holder of their own name, so if they have posted their name for use in The Art of Cricket, they are licensing the developers to use that name.
True, but what about the people who's names have been put forward by others? Like I put some of my friends/teammates names down, they then wouldn't have been giving their license to us directly
Anyway, there's no need to change them to fakes as I don't think my mates/teammates will be trying to sue you for using their name :D.
The reason we can't have real names in the first place is not because the names themselves are protected by any laws it is because the various cricket boards have rights to licence their brand, the player names are part of that brand (If you hadn't heard of any of the players would you go and watch Australia play?).
With the names of the general public this is not the case, in the most part there is implied permission given for the names in the commentary names thread and for the rest the poster has implied that they have the right to post those names on behalf of the name user. There is next to no case for a member of the general public to sue in regards to someone else putting their name in the game (even then it can't be directly linked to them, I know there is more than one person with my name) and there is none what so ever for someone who has posted their own name in the thread.
Besides unlike the actual players, unless you are in a member squad that is included in the game, there are no other details linked to you, the commentary names thread does what it says on the cover, it gets your name into the game and that is it, so when you create your own player you can give it your own name.

The Mongrel

Club Cricketer
As much as I'm enjoying keeping you guessing, I don't want you spending sleepless nights figuring it out. The full-ish explanation follows:
The names are fake, the commentary will be read from those fake names, but by a complete coincidence the fake names are pronounced exactly the same as the actual name, so when the written name is patched the spoken names will sound exactly right (despite the fact they are not the actual names of the players).
This is done basically by switching letters with other ones that make the same sound, here are some example names that best show it: Ganguly is Gangooley, O'Brien is O'Bryan, Tuffey is Toughie, Tait is Tate, Collingwood is Kollengwould. See a pattern emerging? Some names are very difficult to do this to so I have had to use letters like ? in some names, and it is obviously more difficult to do shorter names. Other names need to be 'creatively spoken' to sound right, but accidental mispronunciation may happen with some.
Hope that makes sense, and that people like the idea.

I like the idea, but are you sure that its legal?

I'd imagine that if somebody named themselves Tripel Aich and became a wrestler, or started a fast foot joint called MacDonald's (which happened), its not exactly going to hold up in court.

Not putting a downer on the idea, but you may want some legal advice on it to avoid real trouble.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Do you look like Bill Lawry? Because thats how you sounded like in that post!?

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Madman said:
If I remember correctly I think manee had a huge list of commentary lines he wrote up which could come in handy for all of the commentary team.
That was a long boring summer holiday!;)

Users who are viewing this thread