Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
...everyone makes mistakes. Get back to GTA comparisons, please [/2014]

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Do you think this will be possible? Even Fifa doesnt have this....are there any sports games that have analysis of gameplay?

It might be limited to stuff like: he played the wrong line, bowled too leg side, got late on it etc. but I think it's possible & 100% the way to go.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
...moreso than that, I think (and you've talked about it before) the commentary needs to aid the player and offer advice, in a masked way. So things like "the run-rate needs to increase", "the captain needs to look at a change in the field, this player is well known for being strong on the offside" ...and even prompting cutscenes, so things like "lets check out the manhatten, you'll see team X is well ahead of the required run-rate" or "I'm surprised the captain hasn't bowled any spin today, team x was getting a lot of turn in the previous innings"

Mostly terrible examples, but you get the idea.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
....we just call that online vs @MattW

roop

School Cricketer
In DBC 17 Score hud should also need more colourfull i mean if we can edit the looks(colours) of score hud and be able to put on Top left of the Screen also.

In attributes there should be sentence(defination) added to each atrributes and skill telling the players that if we make any change then what will be the effect of that change in gameplay because right now it jus say the name of attribute which is sometimes confusing.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
...moreso than that, I think (and you've talked about it before) the commentary needs to aid the player and offer advice, in a masked way. So things like "the run-rate needs to increase", "the captain needs to look at a change in the field, this player is well known for being strong on the offside" ...and even prompting cutscenes, so things like "lets check out the manhatten, you'll see team X is well ahead of the required run-rate" or "I'm surprised the captain hasn't bowled any spin today, team x was getting a lot of turn in the previous innings"

Mostly terrible examples, but you get the idea.

agree. the game needs to give us feedback, and doing it via commentary is "doing commentary right" tee-em.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
you can count the number of sports games that do commentary well in one hand practically; the NBA 2k series is really good, the fact that ESPN NFL 2k5 is spewing new lines at me over ten years after release is amazing and that's about it. MLB The Show are close, the issue is that lots of the analysis bits have repeated lines (if I hear the bit about how a Knuckleball is pitched again I'll kill someone) which isn't great and the main problem of sports games. Commentary is really hard to get right, the fact that Madden has very bad commentary despite being one of the highest budget sports games should tell you that!

They need to stay away from big name commentators and get a few voice actors (at least two, although if they had some money a few sets of actors might simulate the changes in commentary that you get IRL) to do that side of things. That's what the NFL 2k games did and I can't overemphasise how good that commentary is - a little hammy at times but for a ten year old PS2 game its amazing and shows that a few talented voice actors can do better than real commentators if given a good script - mostly because they are used to recording that sort of thing so it sounds a lot more natural.

Maybe follow the 1980s approach and only have them speak when appropriate - especially since that seems to be the commentary style that everyone likes...

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
...absolutely and the key is always less is more. Doesnt necessecary mean less commentary what it does mean is less often. As long as we get the score at the end of each over, whatever happens in the middle can be one or two lines appropiate to the situation.

D

Dutch

I would hope that the guys at Big Ant would be beyond that. They have been so welcoming of the feedback from the community that I would hope that they would allow people to really fine tune their great work. There are lot of guys on these forums who really know cricket very deeply and it is a great opportunity for us to tweak and form the game so we can play it as close to our own needs as is possible. Flightsim is a pretty basic setup out of the box. All the finetuning and addons have made the product very close to reality as possible and the flightsim companies organise and bring their products with a very very open editable system so that the community can fine tune their work. I am not saying the guys at BA don't know their cricket but hopefully they will allow the community to bring the depth and subtlety we crave for

I am reading a lot into the fact that Ross reacted to this post positively: I think we are going to be blown over as to what we can do with this game, including gameplay and conditions.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I am reading a lot into the fact that Ross reacted to this post positively: I think we are going to be blown over as to what we can do with this game, including gameplay and conditions.

I was reading something similar into that and the tweet.

Also he thanked this post by me the other day

Aye, I'm sure there'll be more licensing than the last one but my point was licensing doesn't equate to modding so I'd read Ross' comment to mean much more editing capability from within the academy

Which as we know is equivalent to a feature confirmation ;)

D

Dutch

I was reading something similar into that and the tweet.

Also he thanked this post by me the other day

Which as we know is equivalent to a feature confirmation ;)
Ha ha its so nice to take things out of the realm of gossip and hearsay and place thrm firmly in the realm of "cast iron truth"!

LiamHampshire

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I think the 12th man replacing injured (or tired as it seems to encompass nowadays) players in DBC17 would be an interesting feature. Admittedly it's a very small and specific feature but it's something that I've said would enhance the realism of the game if they added it.

Update: As I was writing this, I spoke to my little brother about 12th men in DBC14 and he said he thinks a player who he had as 12th man was credited with a run out in a game that he simulated part of. Does anyone know whether 12th men replacing players in the field is an existing feature in DBC14?

Last edited:
D

Dutch

I think the 12th man replacing injured (or tired as it seems to encompass nowadays) players in DBC17 would be an interesting feature. Admittedly it's a very small and specific feature but it's something that I've said would enhance the realism of the game if they added it.

Update: As I was writing this, I spoke to my little brother about 12th men in DBC14 and he said he thinks a player who he had as 12th man was credited with a run out in a game that he simulated part of. Does anyone know whether 12th men replacing players in the field is an existing feature in DBC14?
It certainly happens if you sim innings: never seen it happen during gameplay...

Users who are viewing this thread