Features you want to see in next iteration of Big Ant Cricket

D

Deleted member 9102

Madman...........I agree with Tennis Elbow 2013...........I'm a subscriber to it (with Mana Games), one of the main reasons I joined was for the regular updates, where they constantly spend time updating the engine behind it, and not updating the 'hype'.....I've been a member since the 2011 version. As opposed to the hyped up Top Spin 4 where every damn shot was in a straight line...................and that game was hyped up so much its unreal. I did had a lot of time for Virtua Tennis 4 due to its shots that often had sidespin on, its amazing how many major games didn't have this though and yet no-one mentions it............it should be a basic demanded requirement ahead of anything else in these games.

That's what makes me so passionate about all sports games having proper ball physics in all aspects of the game, its laziness and an indication of a poor ability to apply real mathematics to ball spin that renders coding teams "unable" to apply them to all parts of their respective games.

Back to what I said on an earlier post though, I don't enjoy being a pain in the Sir Alex with this (Sir Alex = Mr Ferguson = Arsehole), and I just want to hopefully see what, when patched with all the imminent graphics patches that the community provide, will be a really fantastic and convincingly believeable Cricket sim.................so why not have realistic outfield ball physics as well????? Lazy *** coding, due to coders who are not up to coding ball physics correctly (*** or should I say have been forced to remove them for outfield), could well hold this game back from true greatness
Good to see a fellow Tennis Elbow fan around, the game has a decent fanbase but probably doesn't get the publicity it deserves. Mana Games are great - I've had the game since 2011 as well and the regular patches/updated builds are pretty much always a step in the right direction with bugfixes and improvements, using feedback from the forums, and the 2013 update was free!

I love having realistic ball physics in sports games, it can be a major factor in the gameplay as well as the visuals, however I think that on the whole the ball physics in DBC are quite good and that things like the ball swerving in the air after being struck by the bat aren't central to the gameplay.

I'd play Tennis Elbow as much as I do now even if the slices didn't curve, or if I couldn't play curving topspin shots - even if every single shot was straight as a die it wouldn't make much of a difference to me. What I enjoy about it is that the way the different aspects of the gameplay interact with each other to produce an experience which captures the tactical/strategic side of the sport quite well and rewards using your brain. I think DBC does this quite well too.

In a sports game like snooker/pool where the physics are pretty much the entirety of the gameplay, then yeah realistic spin/friction/bounce is almost the be all and end all of the experience (Virtual Pool 4 is great btw) but in cricket, tennis, football etc there are more interacting elements to consider which contribute to the overall experience.

That's why I don't place such importance on the movement in the air of shots in a cricket game.

Last edited by a moderator:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
You can be the team on the right hand side. The instructions on the screen explain how.[COLOR]

----------

[/COLOR]

Yes I have, unless I'm being a complete tweaker. I've definitely been able to be the left hand side team or the right hand side team.

Snowy, can you let us know how you can do so in detail? I tried doing so in casual mode and I'm not able to do so. I get the team on the left no matter what I do.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
tell you what i would love, if @BigAntStudios could consider it for a future version, patch or PC update - I would love to able to have a 2-innings match type with 8 ball overs be considered first class/test match, as these were standard in some parts of the world for a long time.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I've been considering some technical issues concerning controller use, muscle memory amongst them, and I decided I prob need to spend more time on drills.

The thing about muscle memory is that you need to program via (uninterrupted, ideally) repetition of correct technique in order to really fix the form of the movement and reduce response time.

The nets + marker allow some drilling, but I thought how great it would be if I could just do real life drills in the game, with a bit of assistance on technical issues so I'm not guessing what the game is giving marks for.

Say I wanted to practice driving through cover ; you go out onto the square, put some cones out marking ideal hitting area. A bowler repeats identical, overpitched deliveries, medium wide outside off stick (irl you'd have throwdowns but the game can offer an untiring bowler with perfect repetition, which is better). The game puts a blob down for the perfect front foot position so you can see exactly how far you are from ideal.

Then you hit deliveries until you're spot on for footwork and hitting in the middle of the cones and all along the floor, and rinse and repeat until you've fixed a strong image of the movement in your muscle memory, and a strong visual association with the initial part of the flight of the perfect driving delivery, the hud marker, or whatever the early indicators might be.

At this stage you want the drivable delivery randomly alternated with good length deliveries on off or middle stick requiring blocks, so you can practise identifying the correct delivery and then executing as opposed to just practising execution.

I'm so ashamed for being such a huge nerd.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
tell you what i would love, if @BigAntStudios could consider it for a future version, patch or PC update - I would love to able to have a 2-innings match type with 8 ball overs be considered first class/test match, as these were standard in some parts of the world for a long time.

Hey Blocker, were you able to play a casual match as the away team (pick a team on the right)? I tried but wasn't able to do so.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Situational awareness needs a bit of tweaking. I just came in with 4 overs to go, scoring 45 and putting us in a position to win. Sadly I was caught with 7 balls left. I then watched the final over as, needing just 6 runs for victory, my guys defended out a maiden over and lost. Heartbreaking. Especially given the two shots that were worth singles at LEAST and they didn't run. :(

----------

Also, when simulating, does it track AI batsman?

I ask because it seems like whenever I come in, the batsman at the other end has always got low confidence irrespective of score: Jon Trott has put on 74 when I arrived at the crease and his confidence is rock bottom.

Although, hey, maybe that's just Jonathan Trott?

dale0404

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
* Fielder radar NO NO NO!!!! :noway
* More Asian stadiums
* Better commentary & interactions
* Lofted shot option over the mid wicket to spinners
* True Statistics connected to cricinfo *

Everything else is a yes :yes

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Situational awareness needs a bit of tweaking. I just came in with 4 overs to go, scoring 45 and putting us in a position to win. Sadly I was caught with 7 balls left. I then watched the final over as, needing just 6 runs for victory, my guys defended out a maiden over and lost. Heartbreaking. Especially given the two shots that were worth singles at LEAST and they didn't run. :(

----------

Also, when simulating, does it track AI batsman?

I ask because it seems like whenever I come in, the batsman at the other end has always got low confidence irrespective of score: Jon Trott has put on 74 when I arrived at the crease and his confidence is rock bottom.

Although, hey, maybe that's just Jonathan Trott?

I'll check the confidence both of these out, the confidence thing for AI was fixed I thought.

ellgieff

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'll check the confidence both of these out, the confidence thing for AI was fixed I thought.

Definitely not, Ross - I noticed that it hadn't changed, but never thought to mention it because I didn't realise it was on the list of fixes.

Still come in to bat (in career mode) with an AI non-striker on a big score, who has large fatigue but no confidence. Similarly, AI bowlers first delivery to me they almost always have zero confidence and zero fatigue. The strange thing is when, occasionally, they don't ...

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Situational awareness needs a bit of tweaking.

That's a bit cheap coming from you considering your track record of cricket games :rolleyes

Friendly banter. ;)

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I took it in the spirit it was meant, to improve the game.

Users who are viewing this thread