Feb 27 - India v England

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
I dunno i have seen a few times in the past ball passing the edge, even when snicko was available. A edgy sound was made & nothing was shown up on snicko.

Snicko has shown some odd results in the past. Anyway, I heard a noise, it sounded like an edge, maybe it was one of my joints clicking back in to place. ;)

Yuvraj is left-arm spinner that would turn away from a right hander slightly still. Thats why i saw the guys who made URDS technology aren't 100% they can average balls that can hit the stump over a certain meter range, thus they have told umpires as the situation was with Bell, if the ball hits them so far down give the batsman the benefit of the doubt. Which i think is fair.

As someone who had done a bit of umpiring, what I really don't understand with that is that you have a margin of error, which is great, you see it with the width of the stumps on LBWs which are just clipping to the top of the side of the stumps. Yet there isn't a height margin of error to coincide with the distance a batsman is down the wicket. They just say, he's this far down the wicket, so we don't know what is going to happen, whether the ball is hitting top of the stumps or the middle or lower (as it was in this LBW) part of the stump.

The same data which is used to tell the umpires that they shouldn't change their decision if it's within x of height of the stumps or width of the stumps. Yet they don't use this with when the batsman is running down the wicket, the batsman coming down the wicket doesn't greatly affect the path of the ball created by their cameras (unless it hits him on the full and he's 3 metres down the wicket).

Where the ball hits the batsman makes no impact on the cameras, it is where the ball hits the wicket. If the ball pitches at or before y then they can bring in that margin of error. Simple laws of physics state the ball isn't going to hoop up and down magically, either their system has some awful maths in it, or they've been given some bad advice. Once the ball has pitched, you will be able to tell after it has travelled a foot or so with the ball of the speed, etc, what the path the ball is likely to follow with a reasonable margin of error at the stumps of an inch or so (both up/down and sideways).

That delivery was never going over the stumps, you don't need an estimated path of the ball to see that. It has to be linked with the existing rules on the width/height margin of errors.

If the ball was shown to be hitting the top 2-3 inches of the stumps, then fine, the umpires should be advised that a conclusive decision can not be made.

Anyway it's all pointless now as the game has passed, but the system should be reviewed from this perspective.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
@ SaiSrini , icyman - Just came here to say the tied match against KXP in the IPL was captained by Raina , not MSD :p

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
@ SaiSrini , icyman - Just came here to say the tied match against KXP in the IPL was captained by Raina , not MSD :p

No probz. We simply should change our wordings then. Dhoni tends to win the tournament in which his team 'ties' at least one match. :D

Users who are viewing this thread