Fleming rips into Richardson!!

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
To quote Cricket Web:
This was the interview, which prompted the comments from Stephen Fleming:

It starts off with Mark Richardson addressing the commentators.

Mark: "Thankyou Smithy, it is a little damp underfoot out here in the outfield, but rest assured if it clears up soon we can have a full day's play.

Stephen, I realise you're a little underdone in this test, after playing all those one dayers, but can you tell me the real excuse why the Kiwi's have failed with the bat in this game?"

Stephen: "I think failed is a strong word, we came here with a game plan but unfortunately we couldn't stick to it at times and I guess that's what cost us"

Mark: Chuckles off to the side "But I mean, it's as if our batsman have been unable to get back into the swing of test cricket. Is that a fair assumption?"

Stephen: sort of stares at Mark "I think we just have to do the basics of what we know best when it comes to batting. I think at times we have done that well and at times maybe not so well, but we certainly know we have a fight on our hands".

Mark: "And what could be the reason for the slow tempo of the innings? Is it the pitch you think? Is it playing up? Or are our batsman stuck in between the 50 over game and the longer version?"

Flem mumbles a barley audible answer and then he says "thanks mate".

Then (off air):Richardson: Ok thanks, good luck.
Fleming: Thanks mate. (Interview ends) Yeah, you're an idiot. That's ridiculous, seriously that's just ridiculous. Two things: You've forgotten who your mates are, some of your comments in the changing room? And the other thing is you're just an idiot talking about scoring rates and picking up the... uh... the tempo of games; you were one of the most boring players to watch and from what I've seen so far in your commentary, it is crap. You're forgetting who your mates are mate; about six months ago you were with us.
Source Cricket Web (can also view the video here)

I think this is shocking!! Never knew Fleming had a nasty side to him. Apologies if this has already been discussed here.

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Haven't seen it before but quite amused by it.
Richardson probably deserved what he got tbh although Fleming will probably wish he hadn't said it...

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
Fleming has just ruined his good boy image. I feel sorry for Richardson - He was speechless! He was almost crying.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Yeah, I watched the video. It definitely will hurt him because one thing that apparantly comes through in his book is his respect for Fleming.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I read the interview first and somehow I understood why Fleming became upset. If such an ex-colleague would me ask such questions, I wouldn't like him too at that moment. For the long term it isn't sensible.

After that I watched the video. The last comments of Fleming were difficult to hear.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Crank up the volume. ;)
Fleming was obviously quite hurt by what Richardson asked him. But I don't think that was a correct way to respond. Anyhow, it was probably the state of the game and the uneasiness of Richardson's questions that got to him.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
I keep seeing it again and again, and everytime Richardson's face cracks me up. He didn't know what just hit him; looked dumbfounded.

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
may be he deserved it. It is surprising from Fleming, but i think all captains/players need to have such attitude. There are so many people who try to disrupt the mood in the camp (like the media) and the players/management need to hit back.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Now that was shocking! Did the people watching the series live see it? The commentators must have had a chat about this atleast once during the match!

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
No, they had the latter part of the conversation (after they said thankyou and good bye) when the interview was off air.

irottev

School Cricketer
Hang on, what did Fleming do wrong? Richardson totally deserved it. It was a ridiculas interview.

Richardson is a poor commentator.

Greenidge

School Cricketer
I've just watched this interview, had a mate email it through. Absolutely priceless.
I can't stand Richardson, his comentary is rubbish but I almost (not quite though) felt sorry for him watching that. He looked like he was about to burst into tears.
Still, way to go Flem. That will teach him for making us have to listen to his awful commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread