Germany 1-1 Italy: L?w?s men start well but fade out

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
An entertaining game in Dortmund ended 1-1, as Giuseppe Rossi came off the bench to cancel out Miroslav Klose's early goal. Germany played a full strength side, rather than using it as an opportunity to give new players a chance, but did however slightly alter their system. Cesare Prandelli handed Thiago Motta his National debut in a diamond midfield.

Italy played an interesting system with a diamond consisting of Mauri, Montolivo, De Rossi and Motta; and had Cassano is a free role off of Pazzini. Offensively Italy struggled to create much, and relied heavily on individual flair rather than collective play. Italy's midfielders seemingly had very undefined roles. While all of them are well rounded players, none of them seemed to have set roles. Thiago Motta was the deepest of all the midfielders, but it should be noted that he is not an out-and-out defensive midfielder.

Antonio Cassano was reunited with his former strike partner Giampaolo Pazzini at the top of the field. Cassano and Pazzini formed a fantastic partnership at Sampdoria, becoming the best 9/10 combination in the league. Here Pazzini played as a traditional forward, whilst Cassano played off of him in a free role. Cassano generally played on the left hand side but drifted from flank to flank.

Germany went with their normal 4-2-3-1 formation with Khedira and Schweinsteiger playing as double pivots. The side was very much their full strength team and Germany were clearly playing to win, rather than experiment with their side.

1297370055151433.jpg

How they lined up

Germany started off the better team, with Italy struggling to retain possession. Montolivo was largely at fault here as his passes continually went astray. Mauri also struggled, playing a strange role which consisted of him playing high up the pitch but not really as a playmaker. Klose opened the scoring for Germany, improving his already outstanding goalscoring record for his country, but the movement and understanding of the German players has to be outlined. Ozil worked space for Muller to drive into and eventually set up Klose.

germany-goal.jpg

Ozil draws out the defender and making lots of space for Muller to run into

The German side showed amazing understanding and awareness of team mates and space around them. Klose and Ozil in particular were outstanding in this area. Despite playing against a congested diamond midfield, Ozil continually found space to work in.

ozil-movement.jpg

Ozil finds space in a congested midfield

klose-movement.jpg

Ozil plays a defence-splitting pass to Klose who made an excellent run, and should've scored

At the World Cup, whilst coating their style with visually aesthetic football, Germany played reactive football. They relied on their opposition to get forward in numbers before mercilessly hitting them on the counter. Here they took a slightly different approach. They carefully brought the ball forward, bringing more men forward and taking the initiative in attacking. This showed good flexibility from Joachim L?w as Italy rarely threatened with numbers and as a unit, so counter-attacking would've been very difficult.

Despite a very positive start, Germany lost their initial momentum and looked very jaded as the game wore on. This brought Italy back into the game and through Aquilani and Rossi started playing much better and eventually scored. Aquilani passed the ball around very well in a calm manner, as opposed to Montolivo who looked panicky whilst on the ball. Rossi's introduction added spark to the side and Italy looked much more likely to score.

Rossi scored the equaliser late on and the game ended 1-1. Germany started very well but weren't able to continue it on throughout the whole game. This gave Italy a window of opportunity, which Rossi eventually took. The thought of having Rossi merely on the bench seems baffling but having him as an option whilst others start to tire is a very good one.

I wrote this piece for my blog Hoof It Up | Discussing Football, tactics and more! . Any comments, opinions, advice would be fully appreciated!

War

Chairman of Selectors
Nice analysis as usual.

Italy team seem so weak these days. No notable defenders (although Chellini is solid & Buffon is still around) & no notable strikers since Totti & Toni left (although Balotelli is potentially the answer).

Now that they have Motta. A potential mid-field trio of Motta/De Rossi/Pirlo could be pretty impressive though.

That German team could have that as their main XI between now & the 2014 WC quite easily. Only change is that they will need a replacement for Klose.

Pepper, do you think Gerrard/Wilshire could do a similar role for ENG as a central-midfield partnership like Khedira/Schweinsteiger does for Germany?

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Nice analysis as usual.

Italy team seem so weak these days. No notable defenders (although Chellini is solid & Buffon is still around) & no notable strikers since Totti & Toni left (although Balotelli is potentially the answer).

Now that they have Motta. A potential mid-field trio of Motta/De Rossi/Pirlo could be pretty impressive though.

That German team could have that as their main XI between now & the 2014 WC quite easily. Only change is that they will need a replacement for Klose.

Pepper, do you think Gerrard/Wilshire could do a similar role for ENG as a central-midfield partnership like Khedira/Schweinsteiger does for Germany?

Ranocchia is a very talented defender, he's just got his big break to Inter and I see a big future for him. Striker wise I'd have to disagree tbh. Pazzini has got the chance he truly deserves at Inter, Cassano is probably Italy's most talented player on his day, Rossi is getting better every game, and then there's Balotelli, Quagliarella, Gilardino, Boriello. They're really well stocked up attacking wise.

I'd be disappointed if Montolivo was dropped because he is a very talented player, it's just that this system doesn't really suit his passing style. Aquilani has looked excellent every time he's been given a chance. I'm interested in seeing how Pirlo fits into all this. Italy could do with a proper trequartista tbh - all these players are central midfielders.

Wilshere/Gerrard replicating Khedira/Schweinsteiger - short answer no. Watching Khedira and Schweinsteiger in full flow is truly amazing. Khedira's efficiency in the runs he makes is phenomenal (it's a shame he hasn't really got going for Madrid yet). Wenger sees Wilshere as a box to box player, so I guess he'd be the Khedira player but they're quite different. Wilshere is much more elegant but lacks that ruthless edge. Gerrard's strengths quite simply aren't that of a deep-lying playmaker. He is a fantastic attacking midfielder, there's no point changing that. Wilshere and Gerrard could play in that Khedira-Schweinsteiger style double pivot, but not alongside each other. They need a more conservative style player alongside them.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ranocchia is a very talented defender, he's just got his big break to Inter and I see a big future for him. Striker wise I'd have to disagree tbh. Pazzini has got the chance he truly deserves at Inter, Cassano is probably Italy's most talented player on his day, Rossi is getting better every game, and then there's Balotelli, Quagliarella, Gilardino, Boriello. They're really well stocked up attacking wise.

On the defenders i'll conceed for now since i have not seen much of them given the lack of Serie A on skysports here.

But outside Balotelli & maybe Macheda i really dont see much to speak about to be honest:

- Its early days for Pazzini in his Inter & Italy career. So i reserve judgement on him for now.

- Cassano as you said could be Italy's talent on his day. But his temper & inconsistency throughout the last decade in all the clubs he has been to. So he still has alot prove in his new move to AC Milan.

- Rossi well im not sure how to gauge him. A United rejected who is stuck @ a decent - but unspectacular Spanish club where he has been a regular. His career seems fairly stagnant to me.

- Have seen Boreillo enough times @ Milan to say for sure he is crap. Which is why they where so eager to get Zlatan & have now loaned him to Roma.

- Gilardino is similar to Cassano in that as youngster they where hyped as Italy's next striker great. But he clearly hasn't reached those heights. Just an average striker these days.

- Quagliarella is also decent. But nothing overly spectacular.

Wilshere/Gerrard replicating Khedira/Schweinsteiger - short answer no. Watching Khedira and Schweinsteiger in full flow is truly amazing. Khedira's efficiency in the runs he makes is phenomenal (it's a shame he hasn't really got going for Madrid yet). Wenger sees Wilshere as a box to box player, so I guess he'd be the Khedira player but they're quite different. Wilshere is much more elegant but lacks that ruthless edge. Gerrard's strengths quite simply aren't that of a deep-lying playmaker. He is a fantastic attacking midfielder, there's no point changing that. Wilshere and Gerrard could play in that Khedira-Schweinsteiger style double pivot, but not alongside each other. They need a more conservative style player alongside them.

Cool. Solid reasoning.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Pazzini and Cassano already have fantastic understanding, they were easily the best partnership in serie A a few years ago at Sampdoria. Cassano is actually starting to become consistent at Milan! Something like 5 assists and goal already for them. Rossi has been the la liga player of the season outside Barca and Madrid. Villarreal really do player wonderful passing football, technically excellent and great to watch. Quagliarella, Borrielo and Gilardino are great back ups to have after all them.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Pazzini and Cassano already have fantastic understanding, they were easily the best partnership in serie A a few years ago at Sampdoria. Cassano is actually starting to become consistent at Milan! Something like 5 assists and goal already for them.

Well it will be interesting to see how that partnership develops for Italy in the EURO 2012 Qualifiers.

Rossi has been the la liga player of the season outside Barca and Madrid.

Surely not over Forlan & Aguero my friend. Plus Fabiano & Kanoute couldn't have been too far of given that Sevilla finished 4th.

Villarreal really do player wonderful passing football, technically excellent and great to watch. Quagliarella, Borrielo and Gilardino are great back ups to have after all them.

Great is bit too much of lavish term to give them TBF.

You compare the current crop of Italian strikers to 98-2006 era of Baggio, Vieiri, Izagahi, Totti, Del Pieiro, Montella, Toni, Delvichio (all at their peaks) & this current crop is shadow of those players.

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
I meant this season. Rossi has been phenomenal. Forlan has not been the same after the world cup, Athletico as a side have just collapsed tbh. Sevilla are a shadow of their former selves - Kanoute is getting on a bit, Fabiano too, and Sevilla just aren't the same team anymore unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread