World Cup Group B - Pool Matches Discussion Thread

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Had India been a tiny cricketing nation like Zimbabwe and someone from our country pulled off a Taylor (giving up playing for the country for family's financial security) here, what do you think would have been the reaction? Just curious!

Well done Taylor! Family first, work comes next. Hope countries like India can get to that day where silly patriotism like treating a game of cricket as more important than your own life (an Indian fan even went to the extent of saying "Cricket is not as important as life or death... Its much more important" in today's game at the ground) comes to a full stop. You are not waging a war, its just a profession.

300+ chase on hands. @SaiSrini you will be happy with this for sure .. batsman will get to have a go at it

Hmm... Let's see. Taylor's wicket could potentially trigger a collapse here (already a wicket has fallen immediately after his wicket).

Wonder if Dhoni should have chosen batting. I also feel India are extremely lucky to be playing only two games (that too against sides like Ireland and Zimbabwe, no offence to them) in NZ. Their bowling has looked as pedestrian as it used to be in these two games in NZ conditions.

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
an Indian fan even went to the extent of saying "Cricket is not as important as life or death... Its much more important" in today's game at the ground

Cmon. Thats just an exaggerated way of expressing your passion for cricket. Pretty sure the guy would put his life and his family and his friends before cricket when the moment arrived.

Its just like saying I would kill for an ice cream right now. You cannot take such passionate statements literally :)

Plus being passionate about something is not a bad thing. Its one of the most humane things about us

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This is where India struggles. When the spinners are attacked and don't take wickets in the middle overs.

Very true. This game has opened up major flaws in India's bowling lineup and I feel it is going to be exploited big time by Zimbabwe and BD as well. Not looking good

--

Raza laying into Shami's short balls .. this is looking really bad now

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
For an experienced opening pair, Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan have really horrible co-ordination and communication between each other. Ugh!:mad The poor communication between them has been really consistent in recent times.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Indian fans, given the option would you have Brendan Taylor in your team in place of one of your current batters?

This guy can bat and he's only going to get even better! :)

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Wow, great chance here for the Zimbabwe to get a big victory! They really have played well. India have been caught napping here...

grkrama

National Board President
wouldnty mind it, as would be a good shake up for ind and wont get complacent against ban, 9 rpo is goign to be tough, so far good game by zim

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
That drop catch by Hammy is going to prove costly :noway

PokerAce

Banned
MS Dhoni has hit the winning runs for India 26 times. The winning shot was -
six - 9 times
four - 8
three - 1
two - 3
single - 5

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
India has struggled in the last two games. Ireland was a tad unlucky to not to post in excess of 300 and so was Zimbabwe. I'd like to attribute this to the conditions as the ones in NZ are quite different than Australia.
Especially in today's game, the Zimbabwean batsmen seemed to know the ground dimensions well. Eden Park has always been tricky and it proved tricky for India as well.

I am quite disappointed with Rohit Sharma and his presence in the side. 6 straight games, he has been a liability on the team. MSD won't change the side in the next three games, but I am seriously hoping that Rohit falls down and breaks a body part. Have Rahane open and get in Rayudu to fill the 4th spot.

lion100lion

International Coach
I also feel India are extremely lucky to be playing only two games (that too against sides like Ireland and Zimbabwe, no offence to them) in NZ.
If India and New Zealand win the quaterfinal, both of them would have to play against each other in the semifinal in Auckland.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Blown away by a brilliant Raina/Dhoni partnership, that drop catch by Hammy though :noway

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Indian fans, given the option would you have Brendan Taylor in your team in place of one of your current batters?

This guy can bat and he's only going to get even better! :)

Not really. Our batting cupboard is already overflowing right now. Its bowling where we need more resources. Taylor would be of more help to England (if he qualifies in the next 3 years to play for England). We could probably see Taylor in English colours in the 2019 World Cup.

India has struggled in the last two games. Ireland was a tad unlucky to not to post in excess of 300 and so was Zimbabwe. I'd like to attribute this to the conditions as the ones in NZ are quite different than Australia.
Especially in today's game, the Zimbabwean batsmen seemed to know the ground dimensions well. Eden Park has always been tricky and it proved tricky for India as well.

I am quite disappointed with Rohit Sharma and his presence in the side. 6 straight games, he has been a liability on the team. MSD won't change the side in the next three games, but I am seriously hoping that Rohit falls down and breaks a body part. Have Rahane open and get in Rayudu to fill the 4th spot.

I wouldn't want that. Rohit could come good when the knockouts approach. And Rohit had been doing well when Dhawan was not doing well in recent times. Now that Dhawan is doing well, Rohit has picked the cold. Its OK. As long as one of them is doing well, it should work out for us. Its not like both have to click together to win us games. I absolutely wish no one picks up an injury from here as it could potentially be devastating to disturb the winning lineup in the knockouts. If Rayudu had to play, he should have played by now. Not anymore.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
If India and New Zealand win the quaterfinal, both of them would have to play against each other in the semifinal in Auckland.

Wrong. India are playing Quarterfinal 4 (A4 vs B1). If they win, they will face the winner of QF2 (which is between Australia and the third team of Group B). New Zealand are playing QF 1. Therefore, there will be no clash between India and NZ until the final of the World Cup (i.e. if the teams make it till then). See SF permutations below

Cricinfo said:
SEMI-FINAL PERMUTATIONS

The semi-final match-ups will be determined by the finishing positions from the pool stage.

Semi-final 1 - Winner QF1 (A1 v B4) v Winner QF3 (A3 v B2)
Semi-final 2 - Winner QF2 (A2 v B3) v Winner QF4 (A4 v B1)

Source: ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 | ESPN Cricinfo

So India cannot play anymore games in New Zealand soil during this World Cup. They play their QF in Melbourne. If they win it, they play their semifinal in Sydney (against either Australia or the third team of Group B, most likely Pakistan) and the final is already set to Melbourne. This was confirmed by the commentators also during yesterday's game.

Users who are viewing this thread