How I made this game really really fun

Zamakhtar

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
What I would do is play a 20 over ODI match on Test level, with humid weather, a normal pitch, and always in Durban, South Africa.

I always play as Pakistan, so I went in the player editor and reduced each player?s batting stats by 20. I raised the batting stats of players of all opponents to a minimum of 45.

Even then, the game was not challenging. So I decided that if I bat first, whatever total I post, the AI has to get half of that. If I bat second, I have to get the AI total in half the allotted overs.

This made the game REALLY fun, I had so many close matches with great finishes. Australia, specifically, are difficult for me to beat. Sometimes I will beat a team with ease as well. It feels like real ODI cricket.

The interesting thing is that whatever score I post in 20 overs is always similar to a realistic score in 50 overs. For instance, a par score for me in 20 overs is about 240 (12 runs per over), which is a par score in a real 50 over ODI. Once, when I was batting really really well, I got around 350. These are scores the AI will never be able to chase in 20 overs, so I reduce them by half and if the AI gets half my score I forfit the match. Usually the AI can come very close, which is why this method makes the game exciting.

I just think of the scores I get in terms of a 50 over match, so the scorecards look realistic except for strike rates of course. Because the game is played in Durban, I find that the AI will always smash you for six or four if you bowl a poor line, so bowling good line and length is vital. Because of the humid weather, bowling is a lot of fun as you can swing the ball - though indippers will be smashed for six often.

I also never change my field setting when I am bowling, except for adding a slip. I think you have to be creative to make this game fun, and by placing these handicaps the game became really fun for me while it still retained a lot of the psychology of real cricket.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting method. To be honest the only thing this game is good for is two player. Single player gets boring after a while. Why do you always play in Durban though?

Zamakhtar

School Cricketer
Left_Hander said:
Interesting method. To be honest the only thing this game is good for is two player. Single player gets boring after a while. Why do you always play in Durban though?
Durban is a peculiar field. The CPU tends to hit a lot of balls fine in the leg side, which are scooped up by the fielder on most grounds 90% of the time. I find in Durban, the ball only has a 50% of going to that fielder so the AI are able to score more runs. Also, overall the AI is a lot more capable of hitting fours and sixes in Durban instead of hitting the ball to the fielder always. Usually the AI always achieves run rates over 5 against me in Durban, though a lot of the time I can get them all out under 20 overs. Sometimes their run rate is around 9 and if that is the case, then I have to get them all out or else I won't be able to win the match as scoring 180 in 10 overs is difficult (especially with player stats reduced). It is not that easy to get them all out especially with the stats of the tail enders up.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
That is really wierd. Maybe the AI likes the Durban conditions or Codemasters really like Durban?

Users who are viewing this thread