"I told you so": Botha suspended for suspect action

Jarryd

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Poor guy must've bowled at the tests like he usually does when playing. If he'd spoken to Murali beforehand he'd have been fine :p

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Why did they suspened him? His action looked crisp when I watched him, and the Indians didn't have any problem with him!
Geez, you get Ponting out and you are a chucker :rolleyes: :p :D
Not sure if he did get Ponting out though

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think the Indians were just happy to face his innocuous bowling rather than someone better.

Seriously though, it was the ICC's decision and I think they only pick on Test players, which he wasn't at the time of the Indian tour. So too, perhaps, someone important saw the same super-slow-motion footage of him bowling as I did (and I'm sure quite a few people would have), during that one Test and notice the giant kink he puts in his arm.

Sureshot

Executive member
maybe, but during the ODIs (after the tests) his action looked fine and legal to me.

I don't think he'll have a problem getting back.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
^ Yup...
So they are harsh only on test players? So basically you could bowl at 15.1 degrees and get away in ODIs if you aren't succesful?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
ZoraxDoom said:
^ Yup...
So they are harsh only on test players? So basically you could bowl at 15.1 degrees and get away in ODIs if you aren't succesful?
I imagine Australia thought he was getting a bit good, so Ponting tipped off the Umpires during one of his 'chats'.

Does this involve Chris Broad by any chance?

kodos

International Coach
Jarryd said:
Poor guy must've bowled at the tests like he usually does when playing. If he'd spoken to Murali beforehand he'd have been fine :p

You still incredulous about the reliabilty of Murali's bowling report ;)

Gibbsrules

Club Cricketer
This sucks!We finally get a decent spinner,and the Aussies mess it up for us!I hope they bring in Tshabalala to replace him and he destroys the Aussie batting line-up.

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
I never considered Botha as anything, Tshabalala is much more promising, is still very young, and doesn't know how to hold a bat properly :D. Dedicated spin bowler!

sachin

International Coach
I did say that i thought his action looked a little suspect at the start of the series. I hope he can refine his action and move on with his cricket.

Indiangod

International Coach
Gibbsrules said:
This sucks!We finally get a decent spinner,and the Aussies mess it up for us!I hope they bring in Tshabalala to replace him and he destroys the Aussie batting line-up.

I feel sorry for the Saffies, they needed a good-spinner. Anyway whats happned to Adams?, he was a very good left-handed spinner.

James219

International Cricketer
Yes they do need a good spinner, but I feel Botha was never the one. Obviously I don't know much about him as opposed to the South African people but there was alot of build-up about him and he really failed to deliver, not necessarliy as a result of the pressure either. I still think Boje has a future though, if not a younger player coming through. However I do feel sorry for Botha and hope he can get back to playing, although he will have to cop alot and will find it hard to ever clear his name even if the action is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread