"I told you so": Botha suspended for suspect action

ajay2k5

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
MWaugh said:
im not sure. its an icc thing not an australian thing. i thought i read in another thread that the icc tested all players before the champions trophy in england the other year. so they must be able to test there aswell

I thought they re designed a new test system since then?

angryangy

ICC Chairman
MUFC1987 said:
I'm talking about Australian fans claiming that every half decent spinner is 'chucking'. Which is obviously relevant as the thread title starts with 'I told you so.' Or are you ignoring everything about this thread and then just coming to some random conclusion?
I have said what feels like a hundred thousand times that they showed a super-slow motion replay of him bowling during the Sydney Test, which many people saw and in which you can clearly see his arm bend then straighten. "I told you so" comes from the fact that he was refered to the biomechanics department at UWA and many people said he would be cleared. Having seen evidence of a sort for myself, I strongly begged to differ.

Now "every half decent spinner" is a bit much. Murali and Botha, big deal. I'm quite comfortable in saying there are at least 6 better spin bowlers in Australia, so Botha is barely world class. I've never heard complaints about the actions of Danny Vettori, Paul Wiseman, Malinga Bandara, Anil Kumble, Murali Kartik, Danish Kaneria, Saqlain Mushtaq or Ashley Giles.

Harbhajan Singh was tested and cleared, but I do not recall a large public debate about his action.

The only other "spinners" I can recall are Shoaib Malik, with the healthy Test bowling average of 58, who was suspended from bowling temporarily and Grant Flower, who was called once for throwing during a match.

This thread is about Botha being suspended for an illegal action. It's not about the ridiculous assertion that Australia is hell bent on banning its opponents' spin bowlers.

Jarryd

Club Cricketer
MUFC1987 said:
Apart from the fact that you're not the best in the World. Chanting 'No Ball' shows that Australian Crowds lack intelligence. Simple as that.
Oh really? OH REALLY? Well that's VERY interesting....

BiNG.jpg

That my friend, is called Check MATE

kodos

International Coach
Will be interesting to see whether the barmyarmy shout "no-ball" when they flock into the grounds later on in the year. If they don't it will mean that they have grown up and stop acting like immature people or they are as dumb as some members of the aussie crowd who continue to "no-ball" Murali and shout racist taunts.

I agree Botha is not even close to world-class or even in the top 5 spin bowlers in the world. He still has plenty of time left in his career to rectify his action or return back to his medium pacers.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Yeah, that's the funny thing, as far as I can tell, he wasn't a bad medium pacer. Somewhere along the line, someone must have suggested that if he was a spinnner he would get to the top.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
That happens to every bowler in Australia , no wonder Shoaib ran away said he had a injury in that last Pakistan tour."i think".

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Shoaib always seems to pick up injuries in the big tours. Take for example, India's current tour where Shoaib has picked up an ankle injury.

kodos

International Coach
angryangy said:
Yeah, that's the funny thing, as far as I can tell, he wasn't a bad medium pacer. Somewhere along the line, someone must have suggested that if he was a spinnner he would get to the top.

It was Mickey Arthur in fact. I suppose he will now return back to his medium pacers.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
kodos said:
It was Mickey Arthur in fact. I suppose he will now return back to his medium pacers.
I think he had an injury that made his medium pace bowling difficult, or had reoccuring injuries etc. At least that's what an Article I read said.

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
I read in a magazine that it was Mark Boucher, that told him that spin bowling would get him into the selectors eyes, and Mickey Arthur encouraged him even further. Arthur at the time was the coach of the Mercedes Benz Warriors. Now we can try to find who is totally right, and who is far off lol.

valvolux

Club Cricketer
Justice has been done by banning this blatent chucker. The thing I can't understand is how Murali is still allowed to bowl. The ICC have cocked things up in a big way. They "relaxed" the laws from 10 degrees (I think it was) to 15 degrees to allow Murali to play..there's no other explanation - then voila, there are suspect off spinners everywhere. Even with Muralis latest tests - he had some dilveries between 14 and 15 degrees. All of them would've been chucks in the old system. Do you really think after bowling 20 overs in a day he's still going to be able to consistently keep his elbow at 14.9 degrees? Give me a break. The experts still say what they've always said - the doosra is a suspect delivery, and the best course of action is to ban that delivery.

And you bet I'm shouting out NO BALL when murali comes into bowl. I think he chucks it. Are we jealous of him? Hell no. How do we prove it? We spank him for 0-99 in 10 overs. If it's too hot, get out of the kitchen. Murali can't hack the big stage, and he's learnt some awful truths about his bowling each time he's come to australia. So he's taking the easy option and is leaving. The only way he can get the monkey of his back is to come back and prove us wrong. Unlikely scenario.

It's the same as the massive whining we had to put up with from the South Africans. The aussie cricketers cop 200% more flack wherever they go...whether it's bottles being thrown at them in NZ, or bomb threats in the sub continent...they get on with the game. Sure the racial stuff is pretty bad, but it's the south african ex pats who were doing it - 99% of australia had never heard that 'K' word before this series. 99% of the south africans who now reside in australia have left for similar reasons to why KP went to England - and 99% of these guys are pretty darn racist people....good people....but with very strong ideas about what's wrong with their country. Anyway, off topic. I'd be mighty suprised if Botha bowled another ball in test cricket.

As for Shoib Akhtar - my fiance's friend catches up with him everytime he comes to australia (which seems to be whenever he's not playing cricket) for "coffee". You will see that guy in Perth night spots almost as regularly as you'll see damien martyn acting like a drunken fool. Believe me, that guy likes to get up to mischieve when he's in australia and that's the real reason he went a-wall - his mind goes off the game.

Cricket_60

International Coach
Interesting points.....

I also beleive that people should stop giving Aussie crowds crap for chanting no-ball to players who have questionable actions. Racism is obviously totally unacceptable but people should lighten up about crowd chants. As Jarryd proved, the BarmyArmy does it, Kiwi fans give Aussies a hard time. It's just part of cricket, As long as it doesn't escalate into racism or violence then chanting is perfectly fine with me. Face it everyone, no crowd in the world is perfect. No one can say how shocking Aussie crowds are without looking into some of their own.

Also if Botha chucks then so does Murali. Thats just my opinion...

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
As it's so obvious that Murali chucks, you must have some evidence. So find one of the several threads on this topic and post it there.

It should be easy to find one, just do a search for Jarryd's posts, most of them are about Murali's action.

Cricket_60

International Coach
lol, I guess the Murali issue will always be debated.

He used to chuck, until they changed the rules in his favour. Now he doesn't because of the bent rules. While he doesn't officially chuck now many people still question why they changed the rules to benefit him.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Cricket_60 said:
lol, I guess the Murali issue will always be debated.

He used to chuck, until they changed the rules in his favour. Now he doesn't because of the bent rules. While he doesn't officially chuck now many people still question why they changed the rules to benefit him.
Beacuse apart from Chanderpaul every other bowler in the Champions Trophy 2004 straightened his arm past 10 degrees, many close to 15 degrees. Including Mcgrath, Gough, Pollock, and the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread