"I told you so": Botha suspended for suspect action

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
valvolux said:
you could put the responsibility back on the umpires....i know that if they got the green light to call Murali, they would.
Umpires are free to call no-balls on any bowler for throwing when they are absolutely sure the delivery is a throw.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
I totally agree with you Valvolux. When you doing the tests you don't have the strain of the game going on around you, also during the tests your doing you best to keep you arm perfectly straight, where as in a match you trying to get a wicket.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I find it terribly ironic that people who don't even know the rules or regulations with regards to illegal bowling are calling for a man who has been cleared about 5 times to be no balled. This bandwagon has gone far too far.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
valvolux said:
The problem is this sort of testing doesn't replicate test match conditions - it can't give the bowler the "i'll do anything to get this guy out" feeling after he's been walloped for consecutive sixes. It doesn't replicate the sore wrist after sending down 20 overs before tea. This is where in game technology comes in - or, you could put the responsibility back on the umpires....i know that if they got the green light to call Murali, they would.
I don't think the point is to replicate intense match conditions which might induce an anomaly, rather to determine a consistent technical flaw.

In Murali's case, if an umpire felt he was worth a no-ball (now, not five years ago), where would it lead? Send him to the lab, gets cleared to bowl, umpire no-balls him, send him to the lab, gets cleared... do you see a vicious cycle? I'm rather certain that an umpire would be risking his career, at least his credibility, by initiating this process. I can see the merit to this argument, because you can't expect to test every single delivery for legality. Likewise, though, the theory can not be proven because of this mitigating factor.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Just to add, Why is it entirely wrong of the Aussie fans to call no-ball when Murali is bowling? I'm happy to accept that his action is legal, afterall that is a fact. However, if the Aussie fans know that it disrupts him and puts him off his game, then it is hardly going to make them stop is it?

Football players have to put up with most of their private lives in the media, and as such deal with entire home crowds chanting about whatever it is. In my opinion it is is Muralis softness that will stop him, in my eyes, being ranked above Warne when their careers end. Afterall I'd rather have some crowd members shouting "no-ball" than asking "Where my wife was" after a divorce.

Sorry to go off-topic, but it seemed over the last 2 pages that had become the topic.

In respects to Botha, I do feel sorry for the lad, likewise with Shabbir Ahmed, as has been mentioned, if they weren't called up to International Cricket they would still be able to play domestic cricket as noone would have picked up on it, but they have been, and as such now face a year out of cricket.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
puddleduck said:
Just to add, Why is it entirely wrong of the Aussie fans to call no-ball when Murali is bowling? I'm happy to accept that his action is legal, afterall that is a fact. However, if the Aussie fans know that it disrupts him and puts him off his game, then it is hardly going to make them stop is it?

Football players have to put up with most of their private lives in the media, and as such deal with entire home crowds chanting about whatever it is. In my opinion it is is Muralis softness that will stop him, in my eyes, being ranked above Warne when their careers end. Afterall I'd rather have some crowd members shouting "no-ball" than asking "Where my wife was" after a divorce.
Cricket laws include a section of playing the game in the correct spirit, whereas football does not.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
MUFC1987 said:
Cricket laws include a section of playing the game in the correct spirit, whereas football does not.

Yes for the players, I can't imagine the Aussie batsman whisper it as Murali comes into bowl. If you've payed to attend a match, and you find that shouting no-balls seems to aid your country, your not going to stop are you?

Murali handled it in the wrong way, if he'd tried to get on with the Aussie fans instead of retreating into his shell, the calls would either have dissipated or become more a sign of affection. I know for a fact I'd rather have some fans shout no-ball as I bowl, then face a Brett Lee bouncer!

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
puddleduck said:
Yes for the players, I can't imagine the Aussie batsman whisper it as Murali comes into bowl. If you've payed to attend a match, and you find that shouting no-balls seems to aid your country, your not going to stop are you?

Murali handled it in the wrong way, if he'd tried to get on with the Aussie fans instead of retreating into his shell, the calls would either have dissipated or become more a sign of affection. I know for a fact I'd rather have some fans shout no-ball as I bowl, then face a Brett Lee bouncer!
I tell you what, why don't we just go the whole hog? Put off batsman as well. It's outside of the Spirit of the game for Spectators to attempt to put him off. Next you'll be saying it's ok to throw bottles at fielders 'as long as it puts them off.'

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I tell you what, why don't we just go the whole hog? Put off batsman as well. It's outside of the Spirit of the game for Spectators to attempt to put him off. Next you'll be saying it's ok to throw bottles at fielders 'as long as it puts them off.'

Crowd behaviour is an integral part of cricket and that's what makes the game special. the moment crowds degenerate into a yet another spectator sport... That would be a sad day for cricket.

Remember the Test at Kolkata where the whole ground had to be cleared of all spectators before another ball could be bowled. Pretty sad...

As for the chucking issue, I think that the ICC should be equally strict on the superstars as on the newcomers. The rules should apply equally to all players. Unfortunately politics plays a big role here and cannot be avoided.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
MUFC1987 said:

You love putting words in other peoples "posts" don't you.

I obviously do NOT agree with throwing anything at cricketers. I have seen other thread where someone has a differing view to you, so you respond with a post devoid of any thought or intelligence. Using your own form of logic, you do not agree with crowds being involved in the game, so you must mean that anyone caught speaking in a cricket ground should immediately be thrown out of the ground, no speaking, no movement, just sit and watch! Obviously you do not think that, but perhaps that will allow you to graps the folly of your reasoning.

Banter with crowd members is part of the game, throwing objects at fielders is entirely different. What a load of rubbish about putting off batsman, crowds are constantly doing things like mexican waves, and plenty of singing and shouting, a professional batsman has to deal with that, and I can't imagine any of them know its going on. I wonder if you yourself have ever been out in the middle in a cricket match? When batting myself, I've often not noticed people shouting out "your approaching 50" or "30 to win."

A batsman has to deal with sledging, just because the stump mics don't broadcast it to the viewers does not mean it doesn't happen. If your a quality batsman you do not let it get to you, if your Tino Best, you dance down the track and get stumped
:p

Last edited:

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
It seems that you have no problems with the crowd saying what they want, does this mean that you have no problem with players being racially abused as it's all part of the crowd getting involved?

Before you try to belittle my lack of experience, I have played. coached and Umpired cricket. So I'd appreciate it if you don't try to say that I know nothing, when national bodies recognise that I do.

Sman-21

Club Cricketer
Racial abuse is morally unnacceptable so ofcourse its not ok for fans to shout that out.

But fans yelling out no ball shouldnt effect murali one bit.
Andre Nel was getting called a wa#@&^ and other stuff but he was able to put up with it and play along with the crowds.

I guess you think its wrong that crowds boo when theres a big skied catch to put the fielders off.

Murali needs to grow up and stop crying about it.
mummy mummy everyones picking on me i dont wanna play anymore waaaa waaaa.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
MUFC1987 said:
It seems that you have no problems with the crowd saying what they want, does this mean that you have no problem with players being racially abused as it's all part of the crowd getting involved?

Before you try to belittle my lack of experience, I have played. coached and Umpired cricket. So I'd appreciate it if you don't try to say that I know nothing, when national bodies recognise that I do.

Yet again you have responded by putting words in my post! I belittle your first attempt, so you try again. Sorry but I can see why on more than one occassion people just stop getting involved in an arguement with you.

Your logic is along the lines of, "I can't see a tree, therefore trees do not exist."

How on earth do I condone Racial abuse? Of course I don't, you really need to think before you post, as at the moment your just digging yourself more into a hole, I'll pass you a shovel!

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
puddleduck said:
Yet again you have responded by putting words in my post! I belittle your first attempt, so you try again. Sorry but I can see why on more than one occassion people just stop getting involved in an arguement with you.

Your logic is along the lines of, "I can't see a tree, therefore trees do not exist."

How on earth do I condone Racial abuse? Of course I don't, you really need to think before you post, as at the moment your just digging yourself more into a hole, I'll pass you a shovel!
You stated that 'Banter with the crowd is ok.' Some people see racial comments as banter so I assume this is ok in your book? I tell you what, lets have some death threats as well shall we? Is that all fine and dandy as long as you pass it off as banter?

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
MUFC1987 said:
You stated that 'Banter with the crowd is ok.' Some people see racial comments as banter so I assume this is ok in your book? I tell you what, lets have some death threats as well shall we? Is that all fine and dandy as long as you pass it off as banter?

Anyone that sees Banter as including racist comments seriously needs their head checked, last time I checked it was a light-hearted form of communicating with another person. Everytime you have "assumed" or used false logic or reasoning, you are just being an ignorant *insert rude word of choice* (that is not banter, I am being deliberately rude there)

For example Aussie and England fans are always engaged in banter. Sensible Spurs and Arsenal fans are always engaged in banter. What you are implying is quite clearly stepping beyond that and into the realms of abuse or insults. I am seriously starting to believe there is something wrong with you, I see your hole has reached 10 foot, perhaps your going to need the JCB, the spade doesn't look big enough.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread