Idea: Rankings determine World Cup qualification

baburao

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
What? :D

Five matches vs each country per year? Only Shoaib and Asif could cope with that much cricket...

But PCB wont let them play becoz they will be serving the ban all the time .... :p

angryangy

ICC Chairman
For Akhtar to play 40 odd matches in a year, they'd have to make the steroids mandatory.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have taken into account the fact that hardly anyone understands the official country rankings system, and that the matches are less competitive and teams play poorer because of it.

If no team understands ranking system then why use the same to gaurantee a aspot in World Cup Finals?? :eek:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
ICC and FIFA both work on different principles.
How many football matches does a country play in 4 years ?

Brazil and Argentina meet once in 5 years....

This is because Football is more popular at the club level.
Cricket has never been that very popular at the club level.So,you cant really have a nation playing just 5 matches per years.[BCCI will be the first to object]

Also,there is the fear that good teams will be knocked out.
For e.g
Group I
Aus
Nz
Fiji
Papua N.G

From among these,just imagine if PNG and Fiji qualify for the World Cup.
This would be bad for the game of cricket.
Determining WC positions on rankings is a highly flawed system.It is only good for the second level teams like UAE,Jordan,Ireland etc.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The current system in which Test countries automatically qualify for the World Cup allows teams to rest on their laurels though and play very little competitive cricket leading up to the event and so play poorly in the tournament itself.

England are not going to be playing in Euro 2008 - that is bad for the game of football here, but it has happened - with my idea the teams would go hell out to qualify.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Well,as I mentioned earlier,international teams in football,play a very few matches.,say 3 per year.
This system,you are comparing to cricket where a team on an average plays 42 matches a year.

In football,you do not have any tours as such.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
The current system in which Test countries automatically qualify for the World Cup allows teams to rest on their laurels though and play very little competitive cricket leading up to the event and so play poorly in the tournament itself.
That is not a problem with a system but a problem with whoever is managing cricket in that country. You will see that countries like India and Australia are very proactive in ensuring that they are actively playing cricket leading up to the event. And yet we saw India lose in the first round.

Users who are viewing this thread