World Cup 2011 Groupings - 2003 WC format?

King Cricket

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think I read somewhere that the 2011 WC won`t have a super six stage at all. The top four from both groups qualify for the quarter-finals. So, we`ll directly move into the knock out stages once the league stage is done and dusted. Hence, in some sense it is pretty much like the FIFA WC format. If there are no major upsets, we should have the top 8 in the Q/Fs.

Adi is right.

Cricket World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The current format, approved by ICC to be used in 2011 World Cup, features 14 teams allocated. Within each group, the teams will play in a round-robin format. The top four teams from each group will proceed to the knock out stage playing quarter-finals. Winners of the quarter-finals will play semi-finals and the winning semi-finalists will play in the final.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
At least Indian team will not be out after 2 matches. :p

Raj_Aryan

Club Cricketer
Personally i feel Super 6 concept is good,compared to super 8,its good to see if its back once again...

varunvgiri

Club Cricketer
Personally i feel Super 6 concept is good,compared to super 8,its good to see if its back once again...

I believe there is no super 6. It's 96 format. Group stages and then straight to knock-out. Quarter, semi and then the big final.

One good thing with this format is that the tournament will really come alive towards the end. With the super 8, everybody dozed off at the end.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
This will be one long boring tournament. ;)

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
ICC is just thinking to revive the ODI format.. thats the reason they have decide to make this WC 2011 a shorter tournament with no SUPER 6 and just qualify and Knockout Stage

Hope this will be successful

But still i really liked 03 format and 07 was damn boring

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
i liked how 99 went, every thing was good about it. the matches were great. many more close matches then 03+07 put together. the jerseys were kool! before then, jerseys were used to be all same, except different colors. but in 99, colors were different and each had their representative symbol on em.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
In 2 years who knows where will ODI cricket be. ACC better get this cup insured. :laugh

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
i liked how 99 went, every thing was good about it. the matches were great. many more close matches then 03+07 put together. the jerseys were kool! before then, jerseys were used to be all same, except different colors. but in 99, colors were different and each had their representative symbol on em.

The choice of the jerseys for this cup would be interesting. Someone please put some brains into the BCCI and ask them to revert back to 'sky blue' for the Indian team please.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
The choice of the jerseys for this cup would be interesting. Someone please put some brains into the BCCI and ask them to revert back to 'sky blue' for the Indian team please.

WTF does this have to do with the brains of the BCCI. It's a better jersey.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Mate this jersy is good put brains into bcci for good team selection till 2011 WC where we get some consistent players and not play one seris and out in another type... :doh:doh:doh:doh

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Mate this jersy is good put brains into bcci for good team selection till 2011 WC where we get some consistent players and not play one seris and out in another type... :doh:doh:doh:doh

This I agree with. Selection in the last WC was atrocious, we went in with way too many openers, Sachin batting at four (wtf), AJIT AGARKAR, and no Sreesanth in the playing XI. Geebus.

Users who are viewing this thread