India in England Jun-Sept 2014

Epic

Panel of Selectors
He didn't ball that bad, wasn't too expensive but yeah he is a part timer who can bat a bit but still, when you have an "allrounder" in the teams, you should bowl him, puts too much pressure on the regulars.

I'd rather put more pressure on the front line bowlers instead of having Binny take the pressure off the opposition batsmen, that said, I'm willing to give him another game on a more responsive pitch to see what he can do, which is what I think Lord's will be, especially after requests from both captains for quicker pitches.

BBC Sport - England v India: Alastair Cook & MS Dhoni request faster pitches

Last edited:

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
Binny surely not going to get a chance next test.Ashwin may very well come in. Well done Dhoni ,now you wouldn't be criticized for not picking Binny and could bring in Ashwin without the blaming he usually gets.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I think it will be totally unfair and stupid to sack Binny after one game.
The whole point of including Binny was to have a 5-bowler lineup so we can get 20 wickets in English conditions.

Clearly did not get an opportunity to test this out because of the type of wicket that was dished out. Bowlers struggled to get tailenders out .Binny hardly got to bowl. And he made a good score in the second innings. Jadeja also showed a lot of grit going at an uncharacteristic SR of 30 something.

We should persist with this team if we are provided a faster wicket in the second test. If it is slow again, then maybe Ashwin should come in

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I've a gut feeling Cook will score in the Lord's test.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I've been looking at the batsmen and what their record is like at Lord's.

England

Gary Ballance has only played one Test at Lord's, obviously, but when he did last month he got 104 not out against Sri Lanka in the second innings.

Joe Root averages 102.40 from three Tests at Lord's. He of course got 180 against Australia there last summer and 200 not out against Sri Lanka last month. He's also in form after his excellent innings in the first Test.

Ian Bell has a very good average of 57.38 at Lord's. He's played 15 Tests at the Home of Cricket with 4 hundreds and 8 fifties.

The last batsman of note at Lord's is Matt Prior. His average of 45.84 there includes 3 hundreds and 4 fifties from 13 Tests.

As for India, MS Dhoni is the only one of their 'batsmen' to have already played a Test at Lord's. It was also interesting to see that the great Sachin Tendulkar only averaged 21.66 there from 5 Tests.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I've been looking at the batsmen and what their record is like at Lord's.

England

Gary Ballance has only played one Test at Lord's, obviously, but when he did last month he got 104 not out against Sri Lanka in the second innings.

Joe Root averages 102.40 from three Tests at Lord's. He of course got 180 against Australia there last summer and 200 not out against Sri Lanka last month. He's also in form after his excellent innings in the first Test.

Ian Bell has a very good average of 57.38 at Lord's. He's played 15 Tests at the Home of Cricket with 4 hundreds and 8 fifties.

The last batsman of note at Lord's is Matt Prior. His average of 45.84 there includes 3 hundreds and 4 fifties from 13 Tests.

As for India, MS Dhoni is the only one of their 'batsmen' to have already played a Test at Lord's. It was also interesting to see that the great Sachin Tendulkar only averaged 21.66 there from 5 Tests.

tbf I don't think there are many Indian batsmen who have played a test match in England,it's a young squad...in terms of experience that is.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Lords has been a road for the last few years, but it does usually have a bit in it for bowlers. If you can bowl good lines the natural slope always brings the slips and keeper into play.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The problem is, Dhoni will now get swayed by the criticism on Binny's selection and might drop him for Lord's, where actually Binny could come into play if it swings.

Wonder if Dhoni is making the decisions himself, or if Fletcher is having any kind of influence in it. Whoever it is, its complete B.S. management that's one of the big reasons why the image about Indian cricket (on the field) in recent times is so bad.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The problem is, Dhoni will now get swayed by the criticism on Binny's selection and might drop him for Lord's, where actually Binny could come into play if it swings.

Umm .. disagree. Dhoni has been known to do the exact opposite.

One of the biggest criticisms he has been getting for the longest time is that he is too stubborn with his team selections and backs failing players for too long (Sharma, Jadeja, Rohit)

lion100lion

International Coach
One of the biggest criticisms he has been getting for the longest time is that he is too stubborn with his team selections and backs failing players for too long (Sharma, Jadeja, Rohit)
Out of which 2 players have proved their captain's backing.

----------

Ian Chappell feels MS Dhoni should give way to Virat Kohli as India?s Test captain

What I don't understand is that why these Australians are poking their nose in Indian matters :facepalm

Australians whitewashed England in the Ashes and were whitewashed by India. They also lost to England in the Ashes held in England.
The only overseas series they have managed to win is against South Africa. That's same like India winning overseas series in Srilanka or Pakistan.

The actual test will be in Pakistan series. Let's see what Chappell will say when the Australians lose that series.

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
It was also interesting to see that the great Sachin Tendulkar only averaged 21.66 there from 5 Tests.

Its not only sachin, but none of the modern greats lara,ponting andsrt have got hundreds at lords, though sachin has got one in that diana memorial match and ponting an odi century, but that doesn't get them in to hall of fame like test hundred, funny thing, ajit agrkar has got one.

Blogs: Jon Hotten: The Lord's anomaly for Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting and Kallis | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Users who are viewing this thread