India Team Discussion

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Why should he shut up about cricket ? As a fan and a cricket follower, he has as much right to talk about cricket as you or me.

And Bhogle actually is one of the good ones out there. Otherwise, I have no sympathy for most of the journos who push the limits of their rights "to ask whatever they want". And at the same time sell out their "ideals" when it comes to interviewing big personalities who intimidate them and their livelihood. Case in point, Arnab Goswami who would go berserk everyday on his news show and turned into a scaredy cat, sticking to the "script" when he got that exclusive interview with Mr. Modi.

He should shut up because unlike you or me, he is in a privileged position where his opinion holds more weight than yours or mine although we both might know or understand cricket more than him. I'm not talking about 'journalism' in general, I'm talking about the broadcast dished out to us in cricket matches. It's mundane, repetitive and outright boring. There's no attempt to be real or honest because they're so petrified of the BCCI. There is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, Gavaskar/Shastri bring to the table other than licking the BCCI rear end. Gavaskar I would say is outright atrocious. If anyone has followed my posts around here, they'd know I absolutely loathed Manjerekar but he has improved A LOT. Players should have 0 say in who broadcasts coverage to us. If a journalist feels like asking a ViJAY OR a KOHLI something related to the cricket, they should have full freedom to do it.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
He should shut up because unlike you or me, he is in a privileged position where his opinion holds more weight than yours or mine although we both might know or understand cricket more than him.

Don't really agree with this. The only people who would take his words on cricket too seriously are his hardcore fans. Other than that, he is just another popular voice on social media. Nothing else. That is the beauty of social media, isn't it. It evens out the playing field between celebs and non-celebs. If BigB came on this forum and said something like ABD is overrated, I am sure a lot of us, despite beings fans would take him on for that statement

Agree with the reamining part of your post

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
If BCCI is getting influenced by one off TWEETS then the fault lies with them, not with the people tweeting

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Gavaskar and Shastri have been on the BCCI's payrolls since almost 10 years. They were the first commentators to be hired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akshay.

National Board President
India
Mumbai Indians
Champions League Winner
Profile Flag
India
Gavaskar and Shastri have been on the BCCI's payrolls since almost 10 years. They were the first commentators to be hired.
Harsha Bhogle was in the commentary team since the late 90s too if you have seen repeat of those matches

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Harsha Bhogle was in the commentary team since the late 90s too if you have seen repeat of those matches
I meant they were the first commentators to be hired by the BCCI, and were given a script that said they couldn't criticise selection etc. or talk about low crowds

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I've lost all the respect i had for Amitab Bachchan.

Why? Bachchan can speak his mind. He is from the general public and according to the Indian laws of democracy, he has every right to his "freedom of expression". I would blame the BCCI and the people involved in Bhogle's ouster if they indeed used Bachchan's tweet as a benchmark

He should shut up because unlike you or me, he is in a privileged position where his opinion holds more weight than yours or mine although we both might know or understand cricket more than him. I'm not talking about 'journalism' in general, I'm talking about the broadcast dished out to us in cricket matches. It's mundane, repetitive and outright boring. There's no attempt to be real or honest because they're so petrified of the BCCI. There is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, Gavaskar/Shastri bring to the table other than licking the BCCI rear end. Gavaskar I would say is outright atrocious. If anyone has followed my posts around here, they'd know I absolutely loathed Manjerekar but he has improved A LOT. Players should have 0 say in who broadcasts coverage to us. If a journalist feels like asking a ViJAY OR a KOHLI something related to the cricket, they should have full freedom to do it.

No no. This is the problem. Democracy doesnt work like that. Everyone, whether they're a celebrity or a common man, gets to use their citizenship previleges in the same way. The issue here is clearly with BCCI, who have functioned like an autocratic organization

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Why? Bachchan can speak his mind. He is from the general public and according to the Indian laws of democracy, he has every right to his "freedom of expression". I would blame the BCCI and the people involved in Bhogle's ouster if they indeed used Bachchan's tweet as a benchmark

No no. This is the problem. Democracy doesnt work like that. Everyone, whether they're a celebrity or a common man, gets to use their citizenship previleges in the same way. The issue here is clearly with BCCI, who have functioned like an autocratic organization
Yes, and i can tell him to shut up. That's my right too.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Yes, and i can tell him to shut up. That's my right too.

Sure. Go ahead. I am not encroaching that 'personal territory' of yours with Mr. Amitabh Bachchan.

Also let me tell you - when you say "i dont agree with this person..." or "i dont think this person should do XYZ...", thats an 'opinion'. When you say "this person should not do XYZ...", that's not really an opinion even though people think it is opinion. Going to extremes like saying "this person should shut up" or "this person should mind his/her own business.." can possibly even get into the territory of abusing that person and there are laws that govern personal abuse.

Sorry for the lecture on laws (though I am no law expert and dont even know the exact details of many laws) but this is just coming from basic knowledge of laws across the world, especially India.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
when you say [...] "i dont think this person should do XYZ...", thats an 'opinion'.
"I don't think Amitabh Bachchan should (in a diplomatic way) tell a commentator how to do his job."
A much more complicated way to say that he should shut up.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
"I don't think Amitabh Bachchan should (in a diplomatic way) tell a commentator how to do his job."
A much more complicated way to say that he should shut up.

Not really. This sounds better than saying "he should shut up". Certain words trigger certain emotions. "Shut up" triggers aggression and the kind of negative emotions that would lead people into arguments/fights/squabbles. It is even termed verbal abuse by many (Source: Things Abusers Say And Do

I want Mr Bachchan and people like him to continue voicing their opinions even if it leads to the sacking of the most powerful person in this world. Just like we cricket fans have the right to talk about a player's performance, his technique, his personal life, etc, Mr Bachchan can voice out his opinion about how a commentator should talk on air. Bhogle could have responded back to Mr Bachchan asking him to act better in his films and that'd have been fine too.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
I don't care what Amitabh Bachan says. He is an outsider but the other guy should be one of the culprits, He is in the sport and should know what is the job of commentators. They are not there to patronize.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I don't care what Amitabh Bachan says. He is an outsider but the other guy should be one of the culprits, He is in the sport and should know what is the job of commentators. They are not there to patronize.

You mean Dhoni? He just retweeted Bachchan's tweets. Its his personal space. He was off work and what he does on Twitter is his own prerogative. He is not on duty 24/7.

Users who are viewing this thread