India vs Sri Lanka : 3 T20I & 3 ODI: Jan 03-15, 2023

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Anyone watched a video of Hardik abusing the backups in the previous match? I have never liked his arrogant attitude and this is the epitome of it. It didn't even looked like he was saying in a friendly way. Also, if anyone has noticed, he denied Virat a sure shot run in this series. He did this during IPL as well. I am not sure what has gotten into him. I just hope the captainship hasn't turn into his head. He is extremely talented but he is not at all showing the behavior that one would look up to.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
You do realize that Gill has been scoring runs aplenty at the top. Plus, Rahul bats very slow when opening the batting but is a completely different batsman lower down the order. There is no way, Rahul would be playing as an opener.
He's also got a strike rate that sits in between Bairstow and de Kock over the last two years.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Death, taxes and SKY saving the Indian lineup in every T20I possible.

No surprises that Gill gave us his best impression of a Rahul… just get Shaw in there. Tripathi’s someone who should also be in the scene to test his quality against international attacks as he’s got the right mentality for this format. Hope we don’t persist with Chahal after this… Bishnoi should walk into this side.

Gill- is a good batsman. My gut feeling is the management wants to persist with him for the sake of continuity. He is getting runs, no doubt, but the openers spot isnt for him. Like you mentioned, Shaw/ Tripathi as openers would do well.

If we look at the longish horizon, in a post CWC23 era, without Rohit and Virat, expect Shaw to be the main opener alongside Tripathi. Gill can then drop down to No3 /4 to lend that stability and Virat-esque flamboyance to the team.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
You do realize that Gill has been scoring runs aplenty at the top. Plus, Rahul bats very slow when opening the batting but is a completely different batsman lower down the order. There is no way, Rahul would be playing as an opener.

Rahul shouldnt be in the team, IMO. Let him remain the back-up/ reserve. India needs a proper keeper batsman- looking at Samson or Kishan might be better for us in the longer run.

I feel KL Rahul can open and still keep wickets making way for SKY and Iyer both in the middle.

This is my 15 for WC 2023

Rohit (c)
Rahul (wk)
Kohli
Iyer
Suryakumar
Hardik
Jadeja/Axar
Kuldeep/Chahal
Shami
Bumrah
Siraj/Bhuvi

Backup keeper: Kishan

I still do not understand the fascination of having Rahul in the XI- why should he keep? My 15 for the World Cup looks a bit different

Shaw
Gill
Rohit
Virat
Shreyas
SKY
Hardik
Kishan
Axar
Ashwin
Bishnoi
Siraj
Shami
Arshdeep
Bumrah

Reserves: Samson, Tripathi, Umran

Monzi

Panel of Selectors
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Virat banging out the ODI hundreds again. Great to see (I can't cause it'd be another f*ckin subscription)
Even though every other page claims Sky Sports, it took me some time to figure out where I could watch the matches. It used to be available on Sky Sports. Now I'm not sure why it isn't.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Even though every other page claims Sky Sports, it took me some time to figure out where I could watch the matches. It used to be available on Sky Sports. Now I'm not sure why it isn't.
I thought Willow had global rights

Monzi

Panel of Selectors
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It's been on ESPN. I often see Sky Sports listed when it isn't.
Yes, I just got the membership from the first ODI.
Post automatically merged:

I thought Willow had global rights
In the UK, it's still Sky Sports, but I'm guessing it's mainly for Global Tournaments like WC, IPL, or any series with the ENG team from now on.

Fenil

Gill- is a good batsman. My gut feeling is the management wants to persist with him for the sake of continuity. He is getting runs, no doubt, but the openers spot isnt for him. Like you mentioned, Shaw/ Tripathi as openers would do well.

If we look at the longish horizon, in a post CWC23 era, without Rohit and Virat, expect Shaw to be the main opener alongside Tripathi. Gill can then drop down to No3 /4 to lend that stability and Virat-esque flamboyance to the team.
1. Virat still have few more years in him unlike Rohit so he will most likely continue at #3 for at least 2-3 years.

2. Gill started off as a #3 batsman but if he is doing exceedingly well, I don't see a reason why one should try and solve a problem which doesn't exist in the first place.

3. Shaw is very inconsistent and is a walking wicket against an inswinger at length/short of good length from a right armer. Unless he irons out this drawback, I don't see him having a career any different from uthappa who too was immensely talented but had a habit of getting out in the same fashion (at mid on/mid off) which saw his downfall as an international cricket despite cracking the code against the then #1 bowler - Nathan Bracken.

Fenil

This carnage from Bracewell reminds me of Yusuf Pathan's century against South Africa. Luckily Santner is giving excellent support to Bracewell so that he doesn't have to fight a lone battle.

India vs RSA scorecard

Users who are viewing this thread