NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Like I said in another thread, the IPL itself ripped off a lot from the ICL rebel league and quite frankly I remember being embarrassed at how much the big bully BCCI copied from a rebel league with much less funding and facilities. Slowly this memory has faded from public memory. Lalit Modi simply copied a formula and added stuff on top. Seems a lot of people have forgotten.
That is actually not true. Lalit Modi copied IPL from NFL. He did his research by visiting US and seeing how crazy people were behind franchise leagues here in US. NFL Super Bowl, the attendance and all got his eye. He saw how much money was to be spent.

While I liked the ICL, IPL was on papers when the ICL started. I loved ICL, I loved seeing the Lahore Badshah's take on Indian team. I loved they had a 50 over tournament planned.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
That is actually not true. Lalit Modi copied IPL from NFL. He did his research by visiting US and seeing how crazy people were behind franchise leagues here in US. NFL Super Bowl, the attendance and all got his eye. He saw how much money was to be spent.

While I liked the ICL, IPL was on papers when the ICL started. I loved ICL, I loved seeing the Lahore Badshah's take on Indian team. I loved they had a 50 over tournament planned.
From memory I am sure the BCCI were opposed to the T20 format before India won the inaugural world T20. Also I am very sure the popularity of the ICL despite being unofficial and denied patronage convinced the BCCI to go ahead with the league. There seems to be a rewrite of the narrative post 2008, to wipe out the memory and the role of the rebel league completely from history.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
From memory I am sure the BCCI were opposed to the T20 format before India won the inaugural world T20. Also I am very sure the popularity of the ICL despite being unofficial and denied patronage convinced the BCCI to go ahead with the league. There seems to be a rewrite of the narrative post 2008, to wipe out the memory of the rebel league completely from history.
So I was big into Cricket and 2005-2012 was my peak. I used to breathe cricket, eat cricket and fart cricket :lol . BCCI being BCCI was opposed to T20. Saw how T20 went and craze of it. However BCCI had at that time planned on franchise league (not T20). Lalit Modi was asked to do something about it. They saw the popularity of T20 WC, India winning, people talking and boom that franchised league became IPL behind closed door. ICL started and was so good that BCCI had to twist Zee's arm.

Officially Zee/ICL won the legal battle but BCCI had the power Zee did not expect and that is banning players from playing International Cricket. So many big names were in ICL in Ambaty Raydu, Gillespi, Shane Bond, loved Ibrahaim Khaleel (was one of my first picks in drafts here in Cricket Leagues)... etc etc.

BCCI also arm twisted ICC (BCCI = ICC right?) and made sure other boards banned the players as well. Bangladesh even barred showing the matches when there was a Bangladeshi team in ICL.

ICL was the first to introduce DRS as well. BCCI might have seen the money aspect but IPL was not copied from ICL. It was a dream that Modi had watching MLB and NFL.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner

A lot of people had the idea of porting over the hugely popular Western concept of franchise league tournaments. Thats where the ICL was born. But somehow they had run-ins with the then BCCI establishment and Lalit Modi was an office bearer at that time, and so he was tasked to create the official version of the ICL, which then became the IPL. They tagged ICL as the 'rebel league' and ostracized it and then they created the BCCI version of it and called it 'IPL'.

The concept of franchise leagues is inherently very exciting. You have these private players own teams and hire players, trade players, win players, etc. Its a great form to watch the sport without all the morality aspect of supporting a country, etc (believe me, I am ever so slowly moving away from the passion of supporting/following Indian cricket, as I know these leagues exist and I get my fix of the sport from them). That's how it works in USA - the most popular tournament in USA is the Super Bowl, which is basically a city based franchise football league consortium. World Cups are not as popular in USA as the Super Bowl.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
West Bengal (Kolkata) government allows 75% crowd for the India-West Indies T20I's

This is huge!!! First indications of a post-Omicron relaxation of restrictions in Indian cricket. Hope this is the catalyst for the BCCI to drop the idea of hosting the IPL in Maharashtra, and instead host it in its original form all over the country. More than 50% of the world population is estimated to have already caught Omicron. India has stronger immunity from the deadly Delta wave that gripped the country last year. And Omicron must have reached into a lot more, who didn't get caught up in the Delta wave. That with the ever increasing vaccination numbers, should easily give India a significant wall of immunity when it enters the summer months. South Africa (where Omicron was identified) handled the wave with extreme ease as they were in their summer and their hospitalization/deaths were very low (though less than 30% of their population was vaccinated). SA's median age is 27.6 years (said to be a huge factor in the very low hospitalization/deaths). And India's median age is 28.4 years. High likelihood that India has crossed the dark days

Last edited:

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Virat 15 crores and Iyer 20 crores
Interesting
Will be interesting definitely. Iyer going to RCB would let him get what he wanted, he wanted to captain a side hence Ahmedabad or Lucknow did not pick him. Would have loved to see him at KKR as well.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Weird that the auction starts at 12PM IST. Was hoping they would use the ODI D/N timings (3:30 to 10:30pm). It will now start at 2:30am EST for me. Hoping to catch the second half of the auction each day from 5-6am onwards. Or maybe watch the first day in its entirety....

Shreyas Iyer to lead RCB? Heard rumors of RCB saving approx 20 crores to spend on Iyer.

Could be a diversionary tactic by RCB on other franchises
:D

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Looking at the names of the new team (and some of the older ones), the logos, etc.. I feel IPL has lot all its glamour and innovation. Lalit Modi was really good and without him its all lackluster.

Modi was good. However, cannot attribute the glamour quotient to him. In the initial days, the number of superstars associated with IPL teams was huge. South Indian, Bollywood actors, etc. I also remember that Modi had sold 2 additional franchisees (subsequently scrapped - Pune & Ahmedabad to Saif Ali Khan & Videocon). Yes, the man was a visionary, but to entirely put the glamour onto him- not right.

Like I said in another thread, the IPL itself ripped off a lot from the ICL rebel league and quite frankly I remember being embarrassed at how much the big bully BCCI copied from a rebel league with much less funding and facilities. Slowly this memory has faded from public memory. Lalit Modi simply copied a formula and added stuff on top. Seems a lot of people have forgotten.

Most of the discussion around the IPL in this thread is spot on. There's always the ICL v IPL debate, but as someone pointed out, the BCCI was working on a league system in Indian cricket. Infact, Lalit Modi had registered the company Indian Cricket League Limited- a franchisee model , however, this was to be on the lines of a 50 over tournament then.

The BCCI was initially opposed to the concept of T20. The win in 2007 did change their outlook as they saw the monies that could be made from the game. The Subash Chandra run ICL could very well have bee integrated into the main event. However, the BCCI, at that time , was involved in a nasty TV rights issue with ZEE. ZEE had originally bid and won the rights from Star (thought to be impossible back then)- This surprised many at the BCCI as they were certain that an Indian TV network without a sporting channel could possibly not broadcast+telecast quality cricket. It was then that Subhash Chandra launched the ICL (trying to be India's Kerry Packer). He actually thought that they could get Indian cricket rights for an eternity. However, the BCCI was too strong time(Thank God!)

The combination of India's 2007 win, blacklisting of ZEE, ICC's verdict on declaring the ICL as unofficial, Supreme Court intervention on the TV rights issue meant that the BCCI was free to run its own tournament (plus, they had all the marquee players).

Users who are viewing this thread