It's just not cricket

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
You know what I'm talking about. The IPL.

It's a waste of time.
Only the Indians like it.
It's a money grabbing scheme.
It only causes injuries.
It's not entertainment.

People take it say to seriously (eg Indians saying "OMFG YYOUUU MUUUUSSSTTTTTTT PICKKKK THIS PLAYERZ FOR AUSSIES THIS SESON CAUSE THEY HIT A SIXXER IN THE IPLL!!!111 OH AND DONT FORGET UV KING OF SIXEERRSSSS!!!!111!!!"

Bodyline was much better.

I could go on, but I wont.

OffCutters

International Coach
Yeah, screw the IPL, i`ve hated it ever since it was implemented. And based on statistics, Australian Players who played in the IPL gets injured and misses a series or two after the season, and some wont be fit, and some will lose in form. Good on people like Mitchell Johnson to work on his fitness rather than play in a stupid league.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Well I think it wasn't too bad of idea. But they (ICC) musn't go overboard with the whole 20/20 tournament stuff. One tournament is enough, I don't want any more.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Well I think it wasn't too bad of idea. But they (ICC) musn't go overboard with the whole 20/20 tournament stuff. One tournament is enough, I don't want any more.

Yeah, I agree. One tournament is good, but 2 is overkill.

Pup and Johnson gained so much more respect from me from sitting out the IPL.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Would you be still complaining if it was in Australia not India?

Leverocks

School Cricketer
I reckon they should just have one every 3 years or so.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Only the Indians like it but sadly there is quite a lot of them.

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
We have started to sign international players for the KFC Big Bash haven't we, if that turns into another IPL-ish tournament, which I think it might with all these new signings, then I'll stop watching it. Hard enough watching Gul or McCullum play.

It should be a training ground for our talent really. We're already down with numbers for true T20 players.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
It's a waste of time.
In what context? How is watching sports not a waste of time, then? I mean you could be doing a lot more productive things than watching Test cricket for 5 days. I don't think the IPL is any more a waste of time than any other sport (except maybe lawn bowls).

Only the Indians like it.
Wrong. There are many viewers around the world who have taken a liking to the IPL. Sure the primary fanbase is Indian, but that is the reason it is called the Indian Premier League. Besides, a lot of people are glad for the chance to see legends of the game such as Shane Warne on the field at their best, again.

It's a money grabbing scheme.
No, really? Is the ICC World Cup a benevolent tournament geared to help cure poverty or something? Almost all professional sporting events are driven by the bottom-line. Singling the IPL out because it has succeeded to achieve this target is unfortunate.

It only causes injuries.
This is as silly an argument as any. If a player is going to get injured from playing a couple of weeks of "hit and giggle" cricket, then I really question how long they would have lasted in a Test or ODI series.

It's not entertainment.
Wrong. It is purely entertainment. It's primary goal is to make money by entertaining the public (a secondary goal being to unearth local Indian talent). It is definitely entertaining for the audience it is targeting--the Indian public.

People take it say to seriously (eg Indians saying "OMFG YYOUUU MUUUUSSSTTTTTTT PICKKKK THIS PLAYERZ FOR AUSSIES THIS SESON CAUSE THEY HIT A SIXXER IN THE IPLL!!!111 OH AND DONT FORGET UV KING OF SIXEERRSSSS!!!!111!!!"
Your failure to distinguish sarcasm from an earnest comment does not mean that people take it too seriously. There's no point bringing up the "UV" nonsense over and over again when the person who coined that phrase has admitted that the only reason he did it was to annoy the English members a bit. Apart from that, I've not seen anyone post anything along the lines of "OMFG YYOUUU MUUUUSSSTTTTT..." but then again I haven't been active in CD for a couple of months. Besides, looks like the Indians aren't the only ones doing this--wasn't it the Aussie selectors who fast-tracked Shaun Marsh into the ODI unit after his IPL season?

I could go on, but I wont.
Please don't. Besides the fact that the timing of this thread is so out of place that I think it is geared only at getting a reaction, I don't think this "discussion" would ever be polite given the dichotomy of cricket fans when it comes to the IPL.

sohum added 3 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

And based on statistics, Australian Players who played in the IPL gets injured and misses a series or two after the season, and some wont be fit, and some will lose in form.
It's silly to blame this on the IPL. Some players have ALWAYS missed a series or two after a season, not been fit and more than half of cricket players lose form at one point or another.

Again, I find it extremely hilarious that a 3-week tournament of low-intensity cricket is being used as a reason for injuries. If anything, the packed international calendar is the major cause of injuries and the IPL isn't exactly a mandatory event. If players have injury concerns, it is THEIR responsibility to step out of the IPL, not the IPL's responsibility.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Besides, I'd like to add, that if it wasn't for the IPL, many professional cricketers would consider changing profession because of the inability of their cricket boards to pay them. For example, the Sri Lankan and West Indian cricket boards have been embroiled in an economic mess for as long as I can remember. If it wasn't for their IPL contracts, they may even have quit cricket altogether because they do have families and their livelihood to think about, as well.

Take the example of Chris Gayle. He is one of several West Indian cricketers with an IPL contract that will now be depending on his paycheck from that tournament since his national cricket board sucks. If the IPL allows players like Chris Gayle to continue playing the game, then I'm happy to deal with whatever negatives it brings up.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Just a quick note, this thread is also directed at Twenty20 in general.

In what context? How is watching sports not a waste of time, then? I mean you could be doing a lot more productive things than watching Test cricket for 5 days. I don't think the IPL is any more a waste of time than any other sport (except maybe lawn bowls).

Any true cricket fan would much, much rather watch a Test game than a hit and giggle, waste of time, Twenty20 game.

ICC World Cup

Dear god, don't get me started on more Twenty20.

This is as silly an argument as any. If a player is going to get injured from playing a couple of weeks of "hit and giggle" cricket, then I really question how long they would have lasted in a Test or ODI series.

That's not the point. If you have a big test series coming up, and you do an injury (it's not hard to do an injury that isn't pressure) when you are running, or batting, or bowling, or something, that's not the fault of a pressure build up.

Wrong. It is purely entertainment. It's primary goal is to make money by entertaining the public (a secondary goal being to unearth local Indian talent). It is definitely entertaining for the audience it is targeting--the Indian public.

Pfft, great entertainment it is!

Your failure to distinguish sarcasm from an earnest comment does not mean that people take it too seriously. There's no point bringing up the "UV" nonsense over and over again when the person who coined that phrase has admitted that the only reason he did it was to annoy the English members a bit. Apart from that, I've not seen anyone post anything along the lines of "OMFG YYOUUU MUUUUSSSTTTTT..." but then again I haven't been active in CD for a couple of months. Besides, looks like the Indians aren't the only ones doing this--wasn't it the Aussie selectors who fast-tracked Shaun Marsh into the ODI unit after his IPL season?

Could I please have a link to where the member who did it admitted it?

Please don't. Besides the fact that the timing of this thread is so out of place that I think it is geared only at getting a reaction, I don't think this "discussion" would ever be polite given the dichotomy of cricket fans when it comes to the IPL.

Of course I'm trying to get a "reaction" - isn't that the point of an internet discussion board? To get people to reply?

It's silly to blame this on the IPL. Some players have ALWAYS missed a series or two after a season, not been fit and more than half of cricket players lose form at one point or another.

It is just adding unnecessary cricket to the calendar.

Again, I find it extremely hilarious that a 3-week tournament of low-intensity cricket is being used as a reason for injuries. If anything, the packed international calendar is the major cause of injuries and the IPL isn't exactly a mandatory event. If players have injury concerns, it is THEIR responsibility to step out of the IPL, not the IPL's responsibility.

Again, it's not something of a pressure build up. Say a batsmen is hit in the ribs, that's completely different.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Just a quick note, this thread is also directed at Twenty20 in general.
Certainly didn't appear that way considering that you attacked the IPL from the first sentence to the last.

Any true cricket fan would much, much rather watch a Test game than a hit and giggle, waste of time, Twenty20 game.
Irrelevant to the topic. I don't see how you can say conclusively that one form of cricket is a waste of time whereas another isn't. Would you rather watch a 5-day match on a flat track where only two innings are completed or a close T20 match that comes down to the last ball? And if we are in the process of defining a "true cricket fan" I will go ahead and say that any true cricket fan would enjoy watching any form of the game. Most people don't grow up playing 50-over or Test cricket. When I was a kid we used to play informal 14-over-a-side games.

Dear god, don't get me started on more Twenty20.
ICC World Cup... you know. Like the one that was held in West Indies? And the one that will be held in the Indian subcontinent in 2011?

That's not the point. If you have a big test series coming up, and you do an injury (it's not hard to do an injury that isn't pressure) when you are running, or batting, or bowling, or something, that's not the fault of a pressure build up.
You cannot really predict when an injury is going to happen... I mean you could fall down the stairs one day after choosing not to play in the IPL. There is no correlation. Yes, there is a higher probability of getting injured, but then there is also a higher probability of being in nick when the series' comes around. It's really up to you if you want to take the risk, and no one has made it mandatory for players to play.

Pfft, great entertainment it is!
I see you are speaking on behalf of the hundreds of millions of Indian cricket fans, now. Great! When were you nominated to this post?

Could I please have a link to where the member who did it admitted it?
Search around. I believe it was Leggie who came up with it originally. It was sometime during the last Twenty20 World Cup. I'm sure he'd be happy to come in and make his statement again if necessary.

Of course I'm trying to get a "reaction" - isn't that the point of an internet discussion board? To get people to reply?
You misunderstood my point. When I say you want a 'reaction' I mean that it appears that you are specifically targeting the IPL when there is nothing relating to the IPL in the news right now, in order to evoke unsavoury responses from those who actually enjoy it. Your viewpoint in the opening posts quite clearly demonstrates that you have already made up your mind about the IPL and just want to have a gripe about it, whereas, personally, I'm sick and tired of seeing the IPL being dissed in threads all over the forum.

It is just adding unnecessary cricket to the calendar.
Again, there is nothing mandatory about the IPL. If you want the cash and you are willing to take the risk, you play the IPL. If you're not, then you don't. It comes down purely to choice. The IPL is not this big bad body that has a gun to the back of your head and is forcing you to play. If you're willing to deal with the consequences of playing, then you get to play. Otherwise you can rest and wait for the international season to begin. The IPL is not at fault for providing an opportunity for those players who want to play more cricket to play it.

While I'm on that note, it'd be an interesting idea to compare this to a free market economy. Going by the trend of most international players, it appears that they value the money and glitz of the IPL more than the pride of playing for their national side. Again, I don't think it is the IPL's fault for uncovering this truth. The fact is that players value their trade as being worth more than their national contracts and hence they are looking at other ways to maximize their profits. If the ICC had spent the last decade constructively looking at the way cricket must develop (aka, fixing the Test calendar to make it more competitive and meaningful) we wouldn't have reached this crossroads. Instead, they threw money at associates, poorly organized tournaments (2007 Cricket World Cup), unnecessary tournaments (Champions Trophy) and the like.

In comparison, the IPL stepped in and tapped into a lucrative market and released a product that was unlike anything cricket has seen, which is why they are rolling in the cash while the ICC is scratching their heads and wondering why players aren't interested in playing by the ICC rules anymore.

Note that I'm not saying the IPL is this perfect incarnation of cricket. There are a lot of negatives that have grown from the IPL (but they would not support my argument, now would they? :p). It's just unfair to blame the IPL for many problems that are more the faults of the ICC, national cricket boards and player priorities.

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Irrelevant to the topic. I don't see how you can say conclusively that one form of cricket is a waste of time whereas another isn't. Would you rather watch a 5-day match on a flat track where only two innings are completed or a close T20 match that comes down to the last ball? And if we are in the process of defining a "true cricket fan" I will go ahead and say that any true cricket fan would enjoy watching any form of the game. Most people don't grow up playing 50-over or Test cricket. When I was a kid we used to play informal 14-over-a-side games.

The 5 day match, easily.

ICC World Cup... you know. Like the one that was held in West Indies? And the one that will be held in the Indian subcontinent in 2011?

Yes, I do know what you mean. It's great cricket, and assuming it's held the way it should be in India, it should be another great tournament - not with all the cheerleaders and "entertainment" that is added to it. The cricket is supposed to be the main focus...no bands or anything playing.

You cannot really predict when an injury is going to happen... I mean you could fall down the stairs one day after choosing not to play in the IPL. There is no correlation. Yes, there is a higher probability of getting injured, but then there is also a higher probability of being in nick when the series' comes around. It's really up to you if you want to take the risk, and no one has made it mandatory for players to play.

So you are saying you'd be in better form if you hit 250 runs @ 40-60 with a strike rate of 120 for the test series coming up, or spending that time in the nets?

When were you nominated to this post?

I don't understand.

Search around. I believe it was Leggie who came up with it originally. It was sometime during the last Twenty20 World Cup. I'm sure he'd be happy to come in and make his statement again if necessary.

Leggie to step up to the plate please.

Going by the trend of most international players, it appears that they value the money and glitz of the IPL more than the pride of playing for their national side.

That deeply saddens me.

Note that I'm not saying the IPL is this perfect incarnation of cricket. There are a lot of negatives that have grown from the IPL (but they would not support my argument, now would they? :p). It's just unfair to blame the IPL for many problems that are more the faults of the ICC, national cricket boards and player priorities.

Yes, but there are more negatives than positives, IMO. That is why I don't like it, apart from the fact that I don't like the format of cricket, nor the way it is treated.

Users who are viewing this thread