KFC pulls 'racist' Aussie cricket ad

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
KFC head office in the United States has pulled a controversial Australian commercial which sparked furious debate in America about whether it was racist.

The commercial, featuring a white Australian cricket fan offering fried chicken to West Indies supporters, has been pulled from the air in Australia.

"KFC Australia is removing the television advertisement that was being run in conjunction with the Australian cricket season,'' the chicken fast food giant announced in a statement.

"We apologise for any misinterpretation of the ad as it was not meant to offend anyone.''

Due to space issues, I haven't posted the Full article - KFC pulls 'racist' Aussie cricket ad | The Daily Telegraph

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I've seen the ad and it wasn't racist at all. The fans just happened to be black. It wasn't a dig at the stereotype of black people only eating fried chicken.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
I just saw the Youtube video. I don't exactly think its racist. But well, when America talks, we listen :D

They seem very offended by the ad, tbh. Read some comments on their websites and you will see

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
OMG, some Americans really don't know where to stop......

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Hmm, when I read the comments, I expected the video to be of some Aussie bloke offering a West Indian KFC. Fair dos. Giving a whole black crowd KFC to get them to shut up and then saying 'Too easy' is different.

Still, it's quite clearly not an attempt to be racist. We need to get over this stereotype (that included perceiving innocently-conceived concepts as enforcing a stereotype). It's not racist.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Hmm, when I read the comments, I expected the video to be of some Aussie bloke offering a West Indian KFC. Fair dos. Giving a whole black crowd KFC to get them to shut up and then saying 'Too easy' is different.

Still, it's quite clearly not an attempt to be racist. We need to get over this stereotype (that included perceiving innocently-conceived concepts as enforcing a stereotype). It's not racist.

The funny thing is that if England were touring then KFC would have put a bunch of English supporters in the crowd and made the bloke give them the Chicken, then we wouldn't have heard a bar of this racism crap.

What's the World coming to when you can't give a Black person free Chicken without being a racist?

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
The thing is, he uses KFC to get his white room mates to shut up in another ad too.
I was thinking that too....

Gazza_11 added 0 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

Geez it was a pretty lame ad.

Yeh, that's probably the worst of them....

Gazza_11 added 0 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

What's the World coming to when you can't give a Black person free Chicken without being a racist?
:laugh

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Well he gives it to them to stop singing and dancing. But on another ad he gives Phil Hughes KFC for an autograph so I don't think it's that bad of ad. I didn't even think about that when the ad was on.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
I assume the world has gone crazy? How was that racist? I'd imagine its only how Brendan Nash felt when he entered the team.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Pffft, typical Americans. How is that ad racist in anyway?

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Hilarious... Politically correct muppet's them yanks, oh sorry I mean American's... I saw them on the news stating that it's "a racial stereotype of Afro-American's", when they're actually West Indian fans, that's narrow-minded and racist to assume that in itself. Do they even know cricket exist's???
What really made me laugh, was that channel nine new's headline's first bought my attention to this stating that it had been pulled and then,the very next advert was the aforementioned offender.
I think someone at nine was taking the p***:laugh

cooks1st100 added 6 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

I also wish to complain that there is another offending KFC ad depicting a ticket tout (a scalper for the Aussie reader's,) as a shady London type....... I was absolutely horrified!!!

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
I would like to speak to Phil Hughes and say that was racist towards him. Apparently that eating KFC is the reason for his batting woes.

Users who are viewing this thread