Lee to quit Tests

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
According to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald, Lee is expected to confirm his decision at a press conference on Friday. At the age of 33, he currently lies fourth on the list of Australia's all-time Test wicket-takers, with 310 victims in 76 Tests dating back to his debut in 1999.

Brett Lee set to quit Tests to prolong career | Australia Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Sad, but nothing you can do. at least he will be fit to play ODI and T20

According to the SMH, Lee's decision to retire from Tests was influenced by a discussion with Flintoff, leading to speculation that he too could seek to pursue a freelance career to maximise his earnings in the final years of his career.

IPL

KevC

School Cricketer
I have always loved watching Lee play, especially when he is at his best!!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Tricky Foxsports "Brett Lee to call stumps on career" as their title!

His recent Test form wasn't great so its probably best for him to stick to his best formats in the shorter stuff.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Sad. But one sort of expected this decision after the amount injuries he was having over the last 18 months.

Robelinda

International Coach
Good. He wasnt even a good test bowler. We carried him for so many years, then he finally had a good year or two in 07 and 08, then failed in India and then against SA AGAIN, but before that he was truly crap. Always been a great ODI bowler, the best we've had, but way too many series where he just didnt do the job in tests.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
This is a shame.

As Robelinda said, he'd kinda been carried in the first part of his career and he really was an immature bowler for the most part - far too impatient, but I think he's been unfairly criticised lately. He won the AB medal in 2008 and was bowling really well, obviously loving the extra responsibility. Yes he tanked in India - BUT SO DID EVERYONE ELSE! And yes he was not penetrative in the Perth Test against SA. But if you take out Mitch's half hour of brilliance it was the same story - no one else was doing the job, particularly Krejza who leaked runs badly. If you want to criticise his effort at the MCG with a fractured foot be my guest.

And everyone was quick to jump on him after Gayle smashed him in the World T20, but since then he'd bowled very well. ODI Series v England was good, Champions League was good too. I still think the best pace trio Australia could put out for the Ashes next year would have been: Lee, Hilfenhaus, Johnson.

But on the bright side it lets Australia field the world's fastest attack in T20s: Tait, Nannes and Lee. Better have a change of pants ready for the batsmen :laugh

War

Chairman of Selectors
Good. He wasnt even a good test bowler. We carried him for so many years, then he finally had a good year or two in 07 and 08, then failed in India and then against SA AGAIN, but before that he was truly crap. Always been a great ODI bowler, the best we've had, but way too many series where he just didnt do the job in tests.

Well IIRC correctly Lee did go into that 2008 India tour injured & with the distraction of family issues. Then by the time the home series vs SA he was basically playing injured. So he can be excused during that period to be fair.

Robelinda

International Coach
I'd say he was carried from 2001 to 2006. Look at the series averages from all those series in that time, some terrible bowling. He had maybe 18 months from the 06/07 Ashes to the 07/08 season where he was good. Yes he was injured in 08, that doesnt erase the many years of crap bowling. I'd say he had 5 or 6 good series in his whole career, which in 10 years isnt great, thats why he averages 30 with the ball, which is the worse average of any fast bowler with 300 wickets. Anyone who watched his crap bowling in the 01/02 tour, the 01 Ashes, the 03/04 home summer especially would understand.

ajdude

International Coach
So that means I went to both Andrew Symonds AND Brett Lee's last test matches, and I'm pretty sure I saw the last time that Brett Lee bowled in a test match because I went on day 4, and I don't think he bowled on day 5. I remember the agony of him bowling Neil McKenzie off a no ball!

War

Chairman of Selectors
I'd say he was carried from 2001 to 2006. Look at the series averages from all those series in that time, some terrible bowling. He had maybe 18 months from the 06/07 Ashes to the 07/08 season where he was good. Yes he was injured in 08, that doesnt erase the many years of crap bowling. I'd say he had 5 or 6 good series in his whole career, which in 10 years isnt great, thats why he averages 30 with the ball, which is the worse average of any fast bowler with 300 wickets. Anyone who watched his crap bowling in the 01/02 tour, the 01 Ashes, the 03/04 home summer especially would understand.

Ye your basically on point. Although i say he was carried from Ashes 2001 to Super Test 2005 to be 100% exact. Lee turned his corner in 05/06 summer vs WI with that 5 wicket haul in Brisbane.

Then from Brisbane 05 to Barbados 08 was the best phase of his test career. Until he had those injury & family woes vs IND/NZ/SA 08/09.

Users who are viewing this thread