Mongoose Bat

DJ Ager

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
True, but once you get used to it you can get more flick and leverage I reckon, but it's only good for attacking shots, not defensive, wouldn't mind one myself, but the cheapest are ?159

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
it has the air of a tennis racket, should be lighter and the center of balance will obviously be much lower down, meaning that you should be able to swing faster.

I reckon it probably will be pretty powerful but i think they are making twenty20 stupid. it won't have as much control, it's definitely not a defensive tool (I would expect to see lbws increase three fold if it was used) ok if it means you can hit sixes, but if you can take an edge out the park (as some of the ridiculously big bats can, but at least then you have to be an abnormally powerful person to wield them like that) then it devalues batting.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Talk about taking a long handle to the bowlers!

I think to some degree it's just an ostentatious extension of the variance that already exists between bats. Bats that differ by half a pound in weight may look very similar, but it means a lot to the user. Likewise, you wouldn't have to go back 200 years to find a bat that is completely different to use.

It wouldn't prevent the use of defensive shots, but as explained, extra bounce is its weakness. When you look at Test pitches all over the world, it really wouldn't be far fetched to suggest its use, as venomous pitches are one in a million. It would be very easy for lower order batsmen to opt to use the Mongoose after the conditions have been tested out.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
looks ugly! almost ugiler then the bat i made in woodshop in 1st grade :rolleyes:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
lance_cairns_cricket.jpg

Lance Cairns' Excalibur anyone?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Our captain sent an e-mail round about this. Anyone else reckoning this is the way bats seem to be going?

4_1196909807_baseball_player.jpg

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Stuart Law is going to be using it in the up and coming T20 tournament for Derbyshire.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
That's fugly. As much as it can be an advantage, it also can be a disadvantage because you simply have less wood to hit the ball with.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
it has the air of a tennis racket, should be lighter and the center of balance will obviously be much lower down, meaning that you should be able to swing faster.

I reckon it probably will be pretty powerful but i think they are making twenty20 stupid. it won't have as much control, it's definitely not a defensive tool (I would expect to see lbws increase three fold if it was used) ok if it means you can hit sixes, but if you can take an edge out the park (as some of the ridiculously big bats can, but at least then you have to be an abnormally powerful person to wield them like that) then it devalues batting.

Since it is vulnerable to extra bounce, I wonder if this sort of bat would be really good against spinners. You usually don't have to worry about the extra bounce with them, and you could reach forward and paddle them off their length.

I'm not really sure why it doesn't happen more actually - players swapping bats in different situations or against different bowlers. You could call for a heavier bat in the smashing overs of a T20/ODI for example.

Users who are viewing this thread