My Batting Advice

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
so i followed some of the playing spin advice, went into match practice to apply it, set bowler to very good, batsman to poor to try and replicate the county pros v my awful career player...

well i was doing fantastically. picking the line, sweeping, even reverse-swept a couple of fours; getting the hang of this, i thought.

back to career mode... castled third ball. FML.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
so i followed some of the playing spin advice, went into match practice to apply it, set bowler to very good, batsman to poor to try and replicate the county pros v my awful career player...

well i was doing fantastically. picking the line, sweeping, even reverse-swept a couple of fours; getting the hang of this, i thought.

back to career mode... castled third ball. FML.

Blocker play a few tours and casual games till the patch is released and you will still get out. I just made 261 all out on pro vs England in a test but my top scores for the game was only 50. I lost 6 wickets to spin but i score of them now. Just play late and you will get there. I also scored 22 with lyon and Johnson got 49 not out.:(

PS I have not played career yet but i hear it's harder than the other modes and as it should be.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
yeah, i decided to play some other modes to improve more generally. i'll also be starting a new career post-patch because at the moment i've got default players.

you really notice the difference between batting with a 4-helmet international player and your 1-star rookie.

AL_Amin

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Thanks! got my first fifty in any format on career mode. not that I didn't know most of these steps already, but its just that I wasn't confident to what I was doing previously.

Out 56 (93)

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
yeah, i decided to play some other modes to improve more generally. i'll also be starting a new career post-patch because at the moment i've got default players.

you really notice the difference between batting with a 4-helmet international player and your 1-star rookie.

Try playing casual matches against Pakistan. They have a bunch of spinners and would be good practice for playing spin.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
good idea.

Also do one more thing. Tweak the AI's lineup and stuff the team with spinners. That way most of the overs you face will be from spinners.

----------

Anyone knows how to help with the following issue I'm facing while batting...

Folks, I have a question related to batting...

How do you play an on drive through wide mid-on/mid wicket area off a fuller length delivery, i.e. left stick up and up & left (North-West) on right stick? When I try to do so I get random results. Sometime the ball is played up in the air to fine leg or leg slip, or the ball goes along the ground to backward square leg region.

Initially I thought it was due to my hand slipping or user error, but after playing bunch of games and practicing playing the shot to leg side deliveries in match practice mode, I still wasn't able to get a handle on the said shot. If anyone has any idea how to play a fuller length delivery through mid wkt/widish mid-on area, pls let me know.

Killer Nads

Club Cricketer
On Pro, i seem to have mastered the block and default analogue stick shots along the ground. One thing i can't seem to get right though is the cut shot to off-field on a spinner. This is just impossible as the bat never gets anywhere near the ball! Its easy to hit it behind past the wicket keeper with a late cut diagonally back. However, playing a cut shot completely horizontal to the batsmen is impossible in the game.

One other thing i can not seem to master is hitting a six, sometimes it just works and goes for easy sixes, however more then 70% of the time you always get caught on the boundary :D Very hard to know when to play six and when not too! :thumbs

Anyone has any not so straight-forward tips?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Go to the nets and practice against medium and medium fast bowlers. I was timing quicks very well but giving catches away off slower bowlers. Nets helped me sort my timing out. :)

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I skimmed through some issues about inverting batting controls and stuff a while back. Can someone please expand on that again (or maybe share the link if they have it) ?

Basically, unless I am going crazy, my player sometimes plays a shot in the exact opposite direction of where I move the analogue stick. Instead of flicking, it tries to play a very late cut shot and I end up getting bowled (has gone to the boundary a couple of times). This is on PRO, so the AI shouldn't be compensating for a poor stroke, right ?

Jadel

Club Captain
I skimmed through some issues about inverting batting controls and stuff a while back. Can someone please expand on that again (or maybe share the link if they have it) ?

Basically, unless I am going crazy, my player sometimes plays a shot in the exact opposite direction of where I move the analogue stick. Instead of flicking, it tries to play a very late cut shot and I end up getting bowled (has gone to the boundary a couple of times). This is on PRO, so the AI shouldn't be compensating for a poor stroke, right ?

If your playing looking at your batsman from behin.. Regular control. If you are looking at him front on (weirdo) then reverse controls.

Don't have an answer for your flicking.. But most issues are timing and footwork

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Ohh. I am looking at him from behind - Batsman cam (close). So I guess I am good on the controls side

I will try again today to see if its just me being silly and playing the wrong shot. It happens only with Left handers btw. Forgot to mention that.

CallyT

School Cricketer
Normal cut is ok as i score runs easy with it but stay away from the late cut as the keeper catches almost everything.

PS for Bigant and all this talk about making the game easier i say no but if you can make edges not always go to the keeper. I would love to see a 4 or runs scored down to third man area as it's very rare and 4s no way.

I have had edges not get caught, I nicked one between the keeper and slip last night that went for runs to 3rd man. Also had an edge fall short of the keeper. I saw the AI also have a catch dropped in 3rd slip last night also.

The batting is hard but I don't really want them to change it. Most of my dismissals these days are from my own stupid mistakes which is like when you actually play. Its not perfect but its miles ahead of anything else ever made in my opinion.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'd love to know if anyone has managed to bat for a whole day in a Test match. I'm about to start a one off Test with Zimbabwe against England on PRO and i'm aiming to bat for the whole day and I don't even care if I score at a snails pace. I'd imagine batting for 90+ overs in this game requires immense concentration :yes

Users who are viewing this thread