My Batting Advice

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
tbh, not loving the batting because it's so impossible.

the decision making process you're supposed to make in half a second is stupid for a game.

1. choose the right position for your batsman, people are saying you only need the front foot but that's not true, the reason all these straight drives go up is because they should be played on the back foot. (and anyway what's the point of the foot system if it doesn't mean anything)

2. choose the right shot for the line, you have to keep in mind the gaps, which are rare because the AI dosn't bother with more than one slip ever. presumably you shouldn't be playing on good length on off so also you have to have the defense button ready.

3. get the timing right of the shot.

failure to get one of these right will result in you either missing the ball and getting bowled LBW or skying it to a fielder, or in the case of blocking it, edging to the keeper. you also have to have an intimate knowledge of cricket to know this because there's no tutorial or manual thing explaining how to play certain deliveries or conditions.

the slip thing is particularly annoying, because it just seems like an oversight in design, but then AI doesn't need slips as edges all go to the keeper and you're far more likely to get out chipping a shot so you might as well just put a ring round the batsman.

thing is, there is a lot right with the game, some amazing ideas in there and the challenge is interesting enough that it's quite addictive but I won't last with a game where there's no room for having fun and it's all about practice.

maybe this is what people wanted mind, and I'm just a bit out of touch as I'm a more casual gamer.

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Anyone got any advice for playing v spin? I literally don't recall the last time I scored a run against spin. I got my highest career score recently of 30 all off quicks, out to the first ball faced against spin. I get the need to play very late I just keep playing the wrong line

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Seriously, it's been what? 4/5 days since the game released in the UK. Give it more time and practice.

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
What level are you playing at @StinkyBoHoon? Try the practice match tutorial.
I find the batting easy enough on Amateur, but I get out because I'm impatient. I have spent along time playing in practice matches but I still don't seem to be able to swing the ball, or, I just can't see it swinging.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Anyone got any advice for playing v spin? I literally don't recall the last time I scored a run against spin. I got my highest career score recently of 30 all off quicks, out to the first ball faced against spin. I get the need to play very late I just keep playing the wrong line

I have new tip against spin for you guys and it works most of the time.

Wait for the AI to have no fielders on his right or left and he will move them.
Now play straight and please don't worry about the bowler as he drops almost all of his own bowler. The AI will hate this and put everyone deep making 1s and 2s very easy. Now he will start to bowl shorter to you and it's a win and win for you, just play the back foot cut over and over again but make sure it's outside off and runs will come very fast.

I scored 37 of 21 balls with johnson and 39 of 20 balls with Harris doing this. I also scored my highest total in tests on pro of 237. Still even with these hints the game is not easy and a bit of luck is all you need.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Trust me, it get better over time and you will love it. You don't want to be an expert on the game within a week as it tarnishes the replay value. Other than the AI batting being a bit too loose and the fast bowler fatigue, DBC 14 has got most things spot on.

One piece of advice would be to play 4 day matches or Tests as you have the luxury to take your time to score runs. In shorter formats you have the pressure of scoring runs every ball which will lead you to play a rash shot and get out. Play a few Tests and you will see you improve gradually. We wouldn't want to simplify the batting to an extent where we are wondering what to do in a month's time where scoring runs is a breeze a la previous cricket games.

My quick tips against spinners...

1. Don't play horizontal shots against them, especially the cut shot.

2. Play sweep shots.

3. Play straight if there's no mid on or mid off.

4. This is the key. Remind yourself when a spinner is about to bowl his first over to play the shots late. After playing pacers you tend to lose a wkt off a spinner's first over coz you tend to play the shot early. Remind yourself not to do so and over time you will get better. Your focus in playing a spinner's first over should be not to lose a wkt, even if you play out a maiden. After you have faced the spinner for a couple of overs, it gets muh easier to bat.

CallyT

School Cricketer
More Spin Advice,

1. Can't stress enough how late you actually play spin bowling.

2. If you cant consistently block any type of spin ball bowled you are going to have issues playing shots and need to work on your timing. The block is very very simple to play to spinners and is a fundamental to understanding the timing of spin bowling.

3. If the bowler is bowling over the wicket and you are a right handed batsman, you probably want to play most shots to the off side unless its a very bad ball outside or on leg stump.

4. If the bowler is coming around the wicket and you are a right handed batsmen you probably want to play it to the leg side unless again its a very bad ball outside off stump. (beware of trying to cut and even driving from a bowler around the wicket. If your timing if off you will probably nick it) Better to let it go sometimes or block it.

5. Personally I find the sweep a bit unreliable so don't use it a lot in the longer game. Its more a OD or T20 shot for me.

Last edited:

plodder

School Cricketer
@blockerdave - try sweeping
@StinkyBoHoon - It's just incredibly frustrating. I get out a lot on the wrong foot and when I'm somehow on the right one I mis-time it and get out. Playing in the V seems to be way too high risk as well.

Have you tried switching the camera to the bowling one (and inverting the controls)?

I was (am) struggling with batting but found that switching the camera angle allowed me to pick up the pitch of the ball slightly earlier, leaving me with just enough time to complete all the necessary inputs.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
@barmyarmy I think "frustratring" is pretty much how I'd sum up the experience, I have put in a good 15 hours at the game now and once made it above 30, twice above 20, and the rest of the time terrible failures. I think more than anything I've watched simulated score cards and load screens while playing.

I get what people are saying that a good cricket game should have people getting out for single figures fairly often but my main concern is that the times I've made it to double figures I've done so off pre-meditated flicks to the on side and not much else.

basically, while all these tips are good stuff I would quite like to play a cricket game where cutting to third man or pulling over mid wicket is possible, but it simply isn't because the decision making process is utterly impossible. you have to play on the front foot to a few gaps and if you're lucky you make a decent score, practical but hardly fun.

I'll stick with it for a few weeks I imagine but if I had played over 100 games of fifa and scored only 3 goals in that time I'd be putting it back in the box forever.

it's sad because career mode is such a jaw droppingly brilliant idea that I want to play it on that mode the exclusion of anything else. also, my bowler career averages 11 with a SR of 20, so the game is seriously imbalanced as I should be avraging 70 with the bat if that's the general standard, I wonder slightly if the game is geared too much towards those that played the nets for 6 months before the release.

Sidfire1

School Cricketer

Agree 101 % with this. I am not sure what the developers where thinking in terms of batting, let me ask you a straight question - can the developers themselves (Ross etc) play well without getting frustrated using these analogue sticks?

Steg3000

School Cricketer
Batting is easily once u get use too it, try looking around seeing where the fielders are before u loft a shot, is where the gaps are. Play in the nets

I make around avg 140 in t20 on pro, I find the bowling to easily on pro as well as the com doing weird things like had Sri Lanka 4 for five at one time and silly run outs

I think people just wont to hit six's all the time and score like 250 in a t20

Sidfire1

School Cricketer

I do not want to hit sixes all the time.

Can you tell me if you can make those split second decisions to actually be able to determine the line and length of a ball being bowled?> if you do then congrats you have great super human skills.

Otherwise I am pretty sure your high scores where all premeditated to a considerable extent.

Sidfire1

School Cricketer

Can you tell me you can make those split second decisions and use the anologue sticks to your liking ?

I do not want to hit sixes all the time.

Nor do I like to premeditate my shots all the time.

You said you can score high - how much did you score simply premeditating your footwork and shot selection?

Steg3000

School Cricketer
Don't get me wrong its still hard , I often play a back shot and the bowler plays right on to my stumps, the al likes too always move the fielding if u hit in an area where u get four, I just work off how the fielding is and only go high if there's no fielder by the covers, But that don't always work.

But in real life the batsman's don't know which foot to go on until the balls coming right at him, so he has to make a split sec decision, seeing where the bowler will put was too unrealistic

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread