My Batting Advice

PotsnPans

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
As with everyone else I too struggled majorly with the batting. I made some really good scores in the T20s but this was more because I was premeditating a few specific shots and slogging quite a bit. Got some 50s this way. What I had issues with was constructing an innings...even when defending I would get out a lot through edges or missing the ball completely to be bowled/lbw. Finally everything seemed to just click in my last 2 county championship games...mainly because I realized a lot of the points on your list...which is pretty dead on.

A couple of other things I started doing too...against the pace bowlers I was pretty much exclusively camped on the back foot. It is still possibly to drive this way but wide deliveries I left quite a lot. And spin was the complete opposite. This way in my mind I was already sorted for what I was doing with the left stick and just altering my shot selection depending on line and length. When defending I was also playing it to a specific location...so if the ball is slightly leg side I defend that way. Basically whatever direction I would hit an attacking shot I would play the defensive one. This stopped me from nicking off when playing with a straight bat. Using these methods I made 51, 29, 47 & 48 in my last 4 innings of the season.

Now that I'm getting it a lot more it'll make it a lot easier to accept having to start again once the patch is out!

Orangzeb

Banned
My biggest problem with the batting :

in a split sec I can't judge the line or bowling.......

Any Tips? Thanks

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I check the gaps and have 3 shots in mind. Somewhere offside, somewhere legside and block.
See where the ball is and play it. Not going great for me so far but I'm starting to get 20s and 30s in career mode.

BoomBoomBoom

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Ok have seen a lot of people who really seem to be struggling with batting and whilst I am "no Don Bradman" I very rarely get out for less than 30 and have made some good solid innings so Thought I might offer my thoughts that may help some people who are having lots of issues.

1. Know where the fielders are. When you come to the crease check the field. At the start of each over check the field. If you see a cut seen (fielding change) check the field. You need to play to the gaps or defend especially when you arn't set.

2. Know your bread and butter shots. I.e what you know you can keep on the deck. While you are getting set, wait for the right ball to try and score your runs.

3. Dont be afraid to play the support role. If you come in and your AI partner is set, let him go. The run rate will flow and you can turn the singles over till you are set.

4. Dont auto hit and run. Dont be fooled by a well times shot.Wait till you are sure the run is safe. Watch the ball, make sure there is no fielder who will run you or your batting partner out. Taking one less run is better than being out.

5. Understand the fundamentals of Batting and use it. Have patience. I.e If the field is to tight on the off side, Block it out until you get the right ball. Dont start trying to take balls from outside off to the onside etc or vice versa. Once you are well set you can become more aggressive.

6. Sight each new bowler. When the bowler changes tone down your aggression till you know what he is going to bowl. Even if you are well set a change in speed, length etc can make you come unstuck really quick when you are used to the previous bowling.

7. Defend with a straight bat. Sounds simple but the analogs are easy to push slightly off to each side. Defend the shot with a straight bat to the line of the ball. Personally for the first 20 or 30 balls, I have the defense button pushed prior to the ball being bowled. If its a bad ball I let it off and play a stroke. ( I dont tend to do this in T20's or ODI's as much.

8 Finally know the game situation. There are some 4 day games etc you are only going to be batting for a draw.

Batting is hard in this game but its rewarding. I hope the above may help some people.

I myself love batting and it takes alot of patience. However, I think the game would be better off with a fielding radar; maybe optional or not. Still waiting for the patch and holding off any more comments about the radar, maybe after the patch the fielders are more visible.

So your point 1 doesn't really apply right now because half the time the fielders are barely visible, i have confused fielders with the photographers alot of the times. :wave

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Folks, I have a question related to batting...

How do you play an on drive through wide mid-on/mid wicket area, i.e. left stick up and up & left (North-West) on right stick? When I try to do so I get random results. Sometime the ball is played up in the air to fine leg or leg slip, or the ball goes along the ground to square leg region. Initially I thought it was due to my hand slipping or user error, but after playing bunch of games and practicing playing the shot to leg side deliveries in match practice mode, I still wasn't able to get a handle on the said shot. If anyone has any idea how to play a fuller length delivery through mid wkt/widish mid-on area, pls let me know.

ambar_hitman

Club Captain
Good tips. I am in 3rd year of career mode now and except Tests, doing fine as pure batsman. I am playing Aussi Domestic season, and I am about to be selected in English P40 cup, Very Close in English T20 and Getting attention from Indian T20 (IPL)

I mostly make 30s and 40s, because I slog a lot in initial overs with field restrictions. Afterwards, it is all luck, as sometimes a well timed shot also goes in fielder's hands who are super saiyans or something.

graham

Club Captain
Good tips. I am in 3rd year of career mode now and except Tests, doing fine as pure batsman. I am playing Aussi Domestic season, and I am about to be selected in English P40 cup, Very Close in English T20 and Getting attention from Indian T20 (IPL)

I mostly make 30s and 40s, because I slog a lot in initial overs with field restrictions. Afterwards, it is all luck, as sometimes a well timed shot also goes in fielder's hands who are super saiyans or something.

So if I can play for 3 years in career mode I will get 30s and 40s !
I will keep going because it's very addictive batting at the moment .
Just to get to 20 is my first aim it's tough .

MrDantes

School Cricketer
Glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with batting looking for fielders is a joke makes me so mad when you get caught thinking it was gap or superhuman guy on mid wicket actually covers long on and fine leg!

The thing that really annoys me is leaving the ball happens when you press the analog in I've been out so much doing that in heat of moment trying to hit six press by accident. Anyone else have that issue?

Rant over offer some tips that have helped me. I've used lot of advise given here so I won't repeat that but here's some stuff hasn't been shared yet.

1. Use the AI to avoid problem bowlers got this idea from Geoff boycott best place to play fast bowling at non strikers end so early on in career treat yourself like tail ender and protect your self from strike of bowlers giving you trouble.

2. I like to come down the pitch to spinner I find it easier to hit to midwicket and drive make sure to move foot placement left stick slightly outside leg to play drive and to right for midwicket shot. Only play these when no one out on boundary power play t20.

3. Use the sweep shot LB L2 to spinners especially when bowler around the wicket you can hit leg side n middle stump balls easily for 1 and you'll just miss offside one no harm done.

Last edited:

CallyT

School Cricketer
I really don't have issues picking up the fielders, but after the patch it will be easier.

Trying to play shots through wide mid on isn't easy and requires the right ball in the right area. It's a lot easier to pull a short ball off the front foot through that area.

Devlin345

School Cricketer
best and fun way to practice batting is having 15 balls a side casual games agaisnt cpu do have 15 balls a side games go into cricket academy and make thee game 5 overs with 3 balls and over i always put it that the innings ends after 2 outs

PotsnPans

Club Captain
I don't mean to be too critical of people posting about the batting but it seems like people want everything too soon. You've got a 20 year career mode to build up...it's not gunna happen all at once. You gotta tough it out and pick up skill points here and there then eventually the window in which to time your shots will widen. At the start of my second season I'm already able to time the ball better and construct my innings more comfortably. BigAnt have made an enjoyable and more importantly a challenging game mode which takes time to get used to. If you want to slog it around and win all the time set it to amateur and play a world cup or something. However if you want to stick to it and feel rewarded once you finally accomplish some good scores then stay with the career mode.

It sounds obvious but I've started sizing the bowlers up. Whenever the AI makes a bowling change I get off strike as quick as I can and watch from the non-strikers end. That way I can see what lengths that bowler favours and already set myself up to play them off the front or back foot...then even if they mix in a short ball or a full delivery you can still play them...it's possible to play a back foot defence to a full ball and likewise you can pull off the front foot...it's just slightly more difficult to time.

Anyway that's just my input. Sorry if it sounds ranty. It's just at the start of my second season last night I made 57 & 29 in my first county game and I'm currently 38 not out in the first one day game...there's a noticeable increase in being able to play shots comfortably. It does get easier...but you have to work.

rygers

School Cricketer
Guys, if there is one thing that I took from this thread is this...be confident you can block anything. It's one of the first things that @CallyT mentions and for me it's the most important. Especially in Pro level and above.

After getting rolled time and again, by spinners in particular, I went into practice mode and probably spent 2 hours working out a "method" for blocking. Once I knew I could block absolutely anything aimed at the stumps I felt way more comfortable. I had control. Now I could wait for the field to change or a loose ball to be bowled.

Next, I came up with a "technique" for batting. My theory is that you can basically camp on the front foot. The fact you can pull of the front foot is HUGE and allows you to premeditate your foot selection.

In short, I hold the left thumbstick straight up and early on have my right index finger holding down the block trigger. This way when the ball is bowled I have everything in place to block the ball if it's aimed at the stumps. Now I can't be out bowled or LBW and the beauty is I only really have to move one input, the right stick, to play the shot. I found that having to push / move three different things at once was not working for me.

If the ball is sliding down leg I move the left thumbstick marginally to the left (for foot placement), let go of the right trigger and play an on drive / leg glance / pull shot. If the ball is outside off I move the left thumbstick marginally to the right, let of of the block trigger and decide to either play or leave the ball. Early on I try leave outside off until a bit more settled. Found I was knicking off / driving in the air too much.

Once I'm "in" I don't really bother with the holding in the "block" trigger and just play the ball. But I still keep my left thumbstick straight up, ready to launch onto the front foot.

For me the difference has been huge. Went from getting 80 all out to 280 all out on pro level.

For some out there the game is going to be easy, for others like myself, you just gotta spend some hours in practice mode working out your technique. I wouldn't bother with the nets but rather the match practice as you get into the rhythm of the bowler running in, the arm action etc etc.

That's my 10 cents worth!

RedskinsUK

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
hey guys.

luv the game but am getting a bit anoid with the batting!!

Cant get past 24 runs!!!
only once in a five over game England vs Afganistan where i got 38 with Carberry but slogging!!

am trying to be patient but keep getting caught & bowled or out cheaply to spinners in my career

HELP PLEASE!!

Users who are viewing this thread