NatWest Series 2004

jonah

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Originally posted by Darren
Time for change in the England squad. Think Strauss should open, with Vaughan at 4, Key out, but unsure who should be put in his place. Gough I think must now retire from internationals. I say bring Gloucestershires John Lewis in (Biassed I know but he is the leading wicket taker this year), or more seriously Hoggard.

I agree totally there Darren. Maybe take a look at Bell or Pietersen at 3?
As for Goughie, I think he'll call it a day before the ICC Trophy. As you say, Hoggard is probably the obvious replacement, but what about Simon Jones should he stay fit? Also, will they persevere with Mahmood?

Darren

Club Cricketer
Not sure how good Jones is as a one day bowler. Think Mahmood needs more international match practice - think he needs to go on the next A tour and then see how he does as a result of that.

Pietersen sounds a good bet but am not sure if he is legal yet. In the same sense Spearman (NZ at the mo). Has Bell been tried out in the past?

Think Bell has to be a possibility, also potentially a Glamorgan player - powell??

The thing that has always frustrated me about the squad for the one day team is that they never seem to take into account current form in the county one day league. Glamorgan have been so far superior to anyone else this year, and as a whole it has been down to their first three or four batsmen consistently making big scores.

Rangeela

International Coach
9th Match: New Zealand vs West Indies

Result: Match abandoned without a ball bowled

Rangeela

International Coach
Final

Toss: West Indies

New Zealand 266 (49.2 ov) (Fleming 67, Astle 57) (Sarwan 3/31)
West Indies 159 (41.2 ov) (Smith 44) (Vettori 5/30)

Result: New Zealand won by 107 runs

Series: New Zealand wins the 2004 NatWest Series

Man of the Match: DL Vettori

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
I think New Zealand are close to being the best ODI side in the world. They have a good batting, decent bowling and an amazing number of good quality all rounders.

But unfortunately none of these good ODI players are able to adapt well to the 5 day version of the game, which is why NZ is a poor test side.

Users who are viewing this thread