Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Trent Boult didn't get it for his bowling he got it for the 2 balls he blocked against Starc.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I know Elliot has come in and done well, but are KIWI fans still surprised that Neesham didn't even make the final squad?

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Best players we have in the country right now are playing in the World Cup.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
I know Elliot has come in and done well, but are KIWI fans still surprised that Neesham didn't even make the final squad?

Tbh not really. Neesham was more of a bowling all rounder and at the time the squad was announced Corey Anderson was a bit hit and miss with a bat. The selectors were never going to pick both but with Anderson having the golden arm, they went with him. Elliot was a shock selection for me though, I thought they would go with Devcich or Brownlie considering they played against Pakistan previously.

Matt Henry not finding a place was a bigger surprise tbh. Doesn't really matter now though.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Tbh not really. Neesham was more of a bowling all rounder and at the time the squad was announced Corey Anderson was a bit hit and miss with a bat. The selectors were never going to pick both but with Anderson having the golden arm, they went with him. Elliot was a shock selection for me though, I thought they would go with Devcich or Brownlie considering they played against Pakistan previously.

Matt Henry not finding a place was a bigger surprise tbh. Doesn't really matter now though.

Henry not getting a place was harsh, but i guess with NZ having so much good quicks ATM, it probably came down to selectors making a gut feeling choice.

With Neesham though, I thought him and Anderson were going fine as all-rounders. Even if selectors wanted to pick Elliot from left field (choice has been sort of vindicated to date), still feel Neesham could find a place in squad.

Believe

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I admit the "Neesham-out Elliot-in" took me by surprise too..

But I take consolation from the fact that it wasn't bloody James Franklin again.

I think we have a decent chance of making the finals this time around, but it really depends on who we meet in QF/SF.. I think we can beat anyone in the Quarters, barring SA, and anyone in the Semis, barring SL. For some reason the 'Lankans always sneak one past us in knockouts.. And as for the saffas, right now ABD is just in superb hitting form, and I'm not sure that we could break through their top 3 fast enough to get him in while the balls are still banana-ing around, and the only way for us to beat them right now is to a) somehow break through Amla/Du Plessis early, and make ABD have to bat sensibly (like Zimbabwe did), or b) wait for their momentum to run its course, which I think by the semis it will.

bigred

Club Captain
I wrote on here 6 months ago about the possibility of New Zealand becoming the number 1 test side in the not too distant future. Don't think anyone agreed, mainly due to their schedule not allowing for much test cricket. However, seeing them in this WC reconfirms for me that they could be right up there in the next two years.

In the last 12 months, the test side has become very hard to beat, and I think they'll only get better seeing as they have the likes of Henry and Milne to boost their bowling attack.

I reckon the England vs NZ series in May is a 50\50. Unbelievably, I think NZ would have been favourites if it had not been for a few of their players turning up to England two days before the first test. Their IPL commitments mean that they won't play either of the first class warm up games.

Think it will be a great series between two good test teams. Shame it's only two tests.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It's not so much the schedule not allowing for much test cricket, it's more people not wanting to have more than 2 tests in a series with us

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I wrote on here 6 months ago about the possibility of New Zealand becoming the number 1 test side in the not too distant future. Don't think anyone agreed, mainly due to their schedule not allowing for much test cricket.

I have been saying this since their tour of India in late 2012. That was the first time I had a proper glimpse of Southee and Boult opening the bowling together. I was very surprised because they both were very accurate and kept Indian batsmen in check which does not happen very often to India especially in India. I still remember Southee taking a 7-fer in the second test on a very flat Banglore wicket and I told CG123 that you guys have a world class bowler in making. Also the way Taylor and Williamson played the spinners during that series was outstanding. However, the turning point for me was the captaincy change that occurred during their tour to Sri Lanka. I wasn't happy that they got rid of Taylor who was doing a decent job but the way B Mac has led the team since then is unbelievable. Then they got the team man in BJ Watling who just goes about his job and he is very underrated in terms of both his keeping and batting. At last they got the beast in Corey Anderson who is an absolute monster and can change the game any time. They still lack a decent spinner but that will be hard to find in NZ. As you said though, they have a great bunch of people right now who can really take them to number 1.

bigred

Club Captain
It's not so much the schedule not allowing for much test cricket, it's more people not wanting to have more than 2 tests in a series with us

Surely that will change soon though?

Believe

Club Captain
We will see...

Right now (with the whole ICC restructure/Big 3 bullshit) I wouldn't be surprised if we get offered crap-tons of ODI's everywhere, but still just the little test series now and then.. Let's face it, NZ IS one of the more popular teams (as a second team I mean), but we still aren't seen as anything more than a kind of sideshow.. Good for a festival now and then, but don't stick around for too long.

bigred

Club Captain
Well put it this way. In the last few years, India and Pakistan have come over to England as our 'main series' and been absolutely dicked. I've always thought that NZ and possibly Sri Lanka would give us a much more interesting series. I suppose that's where ticket sales come into it, although most tests in England are pretty much sold out, regardless of who we are playing.

Believe

Club Captain
I suppose that's a good point.. Yeah, when boards are looking at revenue, India and Pakistan get invited every time, they tend to sell out almost every match, no matter the format.

But for the "smaller" teams (NZ, Sri Lanka etc..) I guess we still have something to prove.. Yes we have been playing some awesome test cricket for the last year and a half-2 years, but as I recall our last tour of England didn't end so well for us.. So I guess until we show that we can compete in Away series consistently, we'll still be seen as "the little guys". Hopefully that all changes this year.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
If NZ wins the World Cup, expect them to be invited over a few times. They may even start playing 4-5 Test series should they win the Cup this time round.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It's mostly revenue - tests with New Zealand never sell many tickets

Users who are viewing this thread