World Cup Group A - Pool Matches Discussion Thread

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I certainly think that the run out is much clearer than the catch last night - that bat's clearly in the air.
View attachment 141017

Not sure what the data says about it though.

Other side looked a lot less conclusive though to be fair :

fb23f656125c14edee6c19f839d20fdc.png
http://i.gyazo.com/fb23f656125c14edee6c19f839d20fdc.png

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
England didn't lose because of a dodgy run out. England lost because Bangladesh wanted it more.

D

Dutch

Other side looked a lot less conclusive though to be fair :

fb23f656125c14edee6c19f839d20fdc.png
http://i.gyazo.com/fb23f656125c14edee6c19f839d20fdc.png

This is clearly Kevin Pietersons fault: during the disasterous Ashes series he knowingly changed the batting rubbers on the handles of lower order batsman to be much bouncier when hitting the turf: Paul Downton has evidence on this but due to legal reasons cannot make this open at the moment.............Pierce Morgan, Pietersons "friend", has denied the charges saying that in all his meetings with Kevin it has been clear to him that he has no idea how to put a rubber on properly..........

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I don't enjoy part of me wanting England to lose but the arrogance and incompetence of the senior management impacts directly on what happens on the pitch.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
It has been a scratchy performance from a team that showed a lot of promise during the recently concluded tri-series. They had played well at that time, scoring 300 a couple of times and reaching the finals as well. I remember the game against India when their lower order contributed to a win in difficult conditions.
Pressure here got the better of the team. A lot of people might talk about Morgan's captaincy. You could see that the guy was completely devastated during the post match presentation. I personally believe that Morgan didn't have adequate time to understand an exciting crop of players. Sacking of Cook was unfortunately done at a wrong time and in hindsight it seems like an improper decision.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Not an unexpected thing from England! Was this the same side that beat us twice in two games in the recent tri-series? It looks like the side is very different when confronted with seam friendly conditions. They played us at Gabba and Perth where their bowlers found tremendous assistance. On a batters wicket or a spinners wicket, they are reduced to a situation like this.

Sri Lanka is No.4 right now on the table, but they have a game vs Scotland which they should win and also Bangladesh have a game vs New Zealand which they are currently expected to lose. So I definitely see Sri Lanka moving up to No.3 and Bangladesh moving down to No.4. Don't see India losing their top spot in Group B (they have to beat either of Ireland or Zimbabwe to nail top spot in Group B). Its Group A's upcoming results which will tell us which team India will face in the QF. As of now, Bangladesh is the most likely opponent. But India better stay awake and ready for it. A defeat to Bangladesh in the QF and that too for a team like India would be even more catastrophic than this defeat for England.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't enjoy part of me wanting England to lose but the arrogance and incompetence of the senior management impacts directly on what happens on the pitch.
I genuinely think that defeat is a good thing for the medium/long term: there are no positives to take or things to build on, just humiliation. There's no KP or similar issue to blame or scapegoat. Hopefully Graves will actually clear out the likes of Downton, Moores, Saker etc.

PokerAce

Banned
I am so happy for Bangladesh and Bangladeshis. Like PokerAce said, BD has one of the most passionate cricket fans in the world and it is glad to see them happy and jubilant like this. And I have been a BD fan for a while as well, so I am quite delighted too.

Actually speaking of supporting teams besides India, this WC definitely made me support Ireland, and I think whenever Ireland play, except India ofcourse, I will be rooting for them.

Also Afghanistan, when you think of those players had to go through and what they play is basically all spirit. They have no infrastructure and all, but they still give it a good fight. Ireland and Afghanistan are definitely two teams, I will root for going ahead from here.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
We've got a tour of the West Indies next month. We'll be quite happy to forget about this one-day stuff and get back to Tests.

My friend serious ENG fans should not be talking and thinking like that anymore. This defeat has to cause similar panic to the drama in the Ashes defeat last winter.

coolz_hari

International Coach
I feel sorry about Eoin Morgan .His career is at stake .I felt Ireland played better than What England have played .A good team like England is not even their 20% of their best . I hope at least from now on wards England Cricket board will concentrate on ODI. It's important for future of cricket in England as well.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Sri Lanka is No.4 right now on the table, but they have a game vs Scotland which they should win and also Bangladesh have a game vs New Zealand which they are currently expected to lose. So I definitely see Sri Lanka moving up to No.3 and Bangladesh moving down to No.4. Don't see India losing their top spot in Group B (they have to beat either of Ireland or Zimbabwe to nail top spot in Group B). Its Group A's upcoming results which will tell us which team India will face in the QF. As of now, Bangladesh is the most likely opponent. But India better stay awake and ready for it. A defeat to Bangladesh in the QF and that too for a team like India would be even more catastrophic than this defeat for England.
The format is confusing a lot of people. It doesn't matter where the teams finish in Pool A. Bangladesh will definitely be playing their quarter final against whoever finishes 1st in Pool B.

As hosts, Australia and New Zealand are A1 and A2, and the next two highest teams in the ODI rankings were made A3 and A4. This was Sri Lanka and England. With England knocked out, with Bangladesh going through in their place they take A4. Who the teams from Pool A in the quarter finals will be determined by who finishes where in Pool B. This means the quarter finals will be:

Wednesday 18th March: Sri Lanka (A3) v 2nd in Pool B, Sydney
Thursday 19th March: Bangladesh (A4) v 1st in Pool B, Melbourne
Friday 20th March: Australia (A1) v 4th in Pool B, Adelaide
Saturday 21st March: New Zealand (A2) v 3rd in Pool B, Wellington

It is explained here: Finals - Fixtures | Cricket Fixtures - World Cup 2015 | Official Website

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The format is confusing a lot of people. It doesn't matter where the teams finish in Pool A. Bangladesh will definitely be playing their quarter final against whoever finishes 1st in Pool B.
You're wrong on this again.

The only thing locked in was the location and date of the matches involving the Pool A teams - to guarantee NZ and Australia both had home matches if they qualified.

"For example, if India tops Pool B in position B1, then it will play against the Pool A team that finishes in position A4. Therefore, if Sri Lanka finishes in position A4, then India will play Sri Lanka in Sydney on 18 March."

That means if the finishing positions are:
A:
New Zealand
Australia
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
B:
India
South Africa
Pakistan
Ireland

Then the quarter finals will be:
Sri Lanka (A3) v South Africa (B2) (Sydney 18/3)
Bangladesh (A4) v India (B1) (Melbourne 19/3)
Australia (A2) v Pakistan (B3) (Adelaide 20/3)
NZ (A1) v Ireland (B4) (Wellington 21/3)

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
You're wrong on this again.

The only thing locked in was the location and date of the matches involving the Pool A teams - to guarantee NZ and Australia both had home matches if they qualified.

"For example, if India tops Pool B in position B1, then it will play against the Pool A team that finishes in position A4. Therefore, if Sri Lanka finishes in position A4, then India will play Sri Lanka in Sydney on 18 March."

That means if the finishing positions are:
A:
New Zealand
Australia
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
B:
India
South Africa
Pakistan
Ireland

Then the quarter finals will be:
Sri Lanka (A3) v South Africa (B2) (Sydney 18/3)
Bangladesh (A4) v India (B1) (Melbourne 19/3)
Australia (A2) v Pakistan (B3) (Adelaide 20/3)
NZ (A1) v Ireland (B4) (Wellington 21/3)
But that seems to completely contradict this:
Aside from the hosts, the current Reliance ICC ODI Championship table lists the two next highest ranked teams in Pool A as Sri Lanka and England. If these teams qualify for the quarter-finals, then Sri Lanka will play in Sydney on 18 March and England will play in Melbourne on 19 March, irrespective of where in the top four these teams finish in their pool.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK

As hosts, Australia and New Zealand are A1 and A2, and the next two highest teams in the ODI rankings were made A3 and A4. This was Sri Lanka and England. With England knocked out, with Bangladesh going through in their place they take A4. Who the teams from Pool A in the quarter finals will be determined by who finishes where in Pool B. This means the quarter finals will be:

Wednesday 18th March: Sri Lanka (A3) v 2nd in Pool B, Sydney
Thursday 19th March: Bangladesh (A4) v 1st in Pool B, Melbourne
Friday 20th March: Australia (A1) v 4th in Pool B, Adelaide
Saturday 21st March: New Zealand (A2) v 3rd in Pool B, Wellington

It is explained here: Finals - Fixtures | Cricket Fixtures - World Cup 2015 | Official Website

If Bangladesh beat New Zealand, Bangladesh take the third spot in the group (i.e. A3) and Sri Lanka take A4. The group standings are not dictated by their rankings. Its dictated by points, followed by NRR, etc. So if Bangladesh win against NZ or Sri Lanka lose to Scotland, India will be facing Sri Lanka at the SCG.

This one talks about it in pretty much detailed manner (pretty much says that only the location and dates are certain; which means the group standings will dictate who plays the respective Group A teams) - ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 | ESPN Cricinfo.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Pre-seeded teams have been allotted quarter-final venues. Irrespective of the positions they finish in, they will be playing at that respective location on the given date.

Sri Lanka on 18th March (Sydney)
England on 19th March (Melbourne), now Bangladesh
Australia on 20th March (Adelaide)
New Zealand on 21st March (Wellington)

The position at which the above teams finish shall dictate their opposition from Group A. This has been done to ensure that people supporting their favourite teams do not have to wait until the last moment to book their tickets. So a Sri Lankan fan will book the Sydney match on 18th March.

Users who are viewing this thread