New Zealand Team Discussion

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
That may change with a World Cup win under their belt. It would be interesting to see whether the ICC interferes then ,seeing as a World Champion isn't getting adequate matches.

Believe

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Haha, you'd hope so... But then I don't exactly know whether the term "World Champion" is completely accurate... Seeing as how we'd still be ranked.... maybe 4th at the highest? (Not entirely sure of the current rankings/rating points). But even then, I still don't know how much winning the ODI world cup would affect test series... I'd love to see us play longer series, and more often (and preferably against teams other than WI and Bangladesh..) But the fact is that we'd probably still only have the 2 tests against bigger nations, but they'd schedule some of those ridiculous 7 match ODI series or something...

Basically I don't know if winning the World Cup will equate to more test matches for us... Or just a lot more ODIs..

S

Satan666

Haha, you'd hope so... But then I don't exactly know whether the term "World Champion" is completely accurate... Seeing as how we'd still be ranked.... maybe 4th at the highest? (Not entirely sure of the current rankings/rating points). But even then, I still don't know how much winning the ODI world cup would affect test series... I'd love to see us play longer series, and more often (and preferably against teams other than WI and Bangladesh..) But the fact is that we'd probably still only have the 2 tests against bigger nations, but they'd schedule some of those ridiculous 7 match ODI series or something...

Basically I don't know if winning the World Cup will equate to more test matches for us... Or just a lot more ODIs..

Winning the world cup will eventually lead to an increased interest in tours to NZ for tests, the problem however is the Big 3 will play amongst themselves for financial return.

We just need to Believe that NZ could win, I do Believe!

War

Chairman of Selectors
Given the new Big three set-up, I have my doubts that even a world cup win for NZ will necessarily give them more tours/series, based on this troubling and ridiculous article revelation a couple months ago:

Large gaps in New Zealand's FTP schedule | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

"The imbalance may stem from New Zealand's commercial position in world cricket. While the Big Three nations can MAKE MONEY from almost any tour, home Tests with New Zealand are not lucrative propositions for teams like Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies and South Africa. As such, New Zealand appear in most need of assistance from the "Test Cricket Fund" promised by the revamped ICC in February. However, the setting up of this "Fund" had not been a significant point of discussion during the recent ICC meeting in Melbourne, according to one director in attendance." :facepalm

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
The FTP set up this time round is more flexible than the previous one. A major tournament win shall definitely give the cricket out there a boost. We saw what happened with Sri Lanka post the 1996 win. Even when India won the World Cup in 1983, nations started taking note of them as a serious team and eventually the match allocation to them increased over a period of time. Although having said that, this may not transpire overnight. A concentrated effort from the NZC might help here.

War

Chairman of Selectors
The FTP set up this time round is more flexible than the previous one. A major tournament win shall definitely give the cricket out there a boost. We saw what happened with Sri Lanka post the 1996 win. Even when India won the World Cup in 1983, nations started taking note of them as a serious team and eventually the match allocation to them increased over a period of time. Although having said that, this may not transpire overnight. A concentrated effort from the NZC might help here.

The new FTP is more flexible for the big three only last i checked.

mfixit

School Cricketer
So, did Guptill slow down after fifty?

Didn't see the game, but i saw him a number of times for Derbyshire and although i can hardly complain that he scored loads of runs, he always seemed to smash fifty in no time and then get bogged down.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Nah, his strike rate was about spot-on the whole game. Should've gone on and got a BIG score, but we got there in the end. Another great game in NZ and an awesome one to enjoy live.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Team of absolute Heroes. Players in different roles all taking the opportunity to stand up and be counted, when it counts. Shout out to Trent Boult setting the record for the most wickets taken by a NZ player in a World Cup tournament (21 ...and counting) ...and Matt Henry stepping up and ripping down some 140kph bullets today as well was a top effort, coming right off the bench.

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Congratulations to NZ fans. A marvellous effort and deserve to play in the finals. :clap

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Congratulations to NZ, crowd at the Eden Park was the best I have scene for long time.
Although NZ team were the calmest of two but for the final against a team who has already won Worldcup for multiple times they need to to be more confident specially in the start. Southee needs to help Boult, he needs to pitch it up and let the ball swing. He is the only weak link now in this great team.

Users who are viewing this thread