New Zealand tour of Sri Lanka, 2009

charith

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Once 170 was leaked it was always going to be hard if we didnt get off to a flyer. Cant expect dilshan to give a start every time. Jayasuriya needs to go i reckon.. He might prove me wrong with a blinder in the tri series as he is prone to do but he just looks a tad slow to get into line. Then again if I was as fit as that when am 40 i'll be over the moon.. 2020 is a joke for me anyways i still dont see what all the fuss is about. I just want us to play more Tests but anyways bring on the ODIs.. Can see now why NZ wanted to get rid of the extra Test to add the extra 2020 and warm up game.

Good stuff from them and will give them confidence for the tri series.. Finally Mccullum started to keep its a much more balanced side allowing the extra bowler and Mcglashan is just not up to international standard with the bat and is dead weight in the playing 11.

nikhil_99

International Coach
This win will definately boost NZ ,now they have won both T20,and players getting runs as well as wickets, it will be a good series...S Bond 4 overs 18 runs 3 wickets! Eager to see contest between Sachin and S Bond...

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors

Good stuff from them and will give them confidence for the tri series.. Finally Mccullum started to keep its a much more balanced side allowing the extra bowler and Mcglashan is just not up to international standard with the bat and is dead weight in the playing 11.

Yea because you can judge a batsmens skill when he comes in with 3-4 overs left. McGlashan showed what he can do when he was given a little more time against India early this year (56 of 40).

diaskasun

Club Cricketer
super match for kiwis, they are way better then us in 20 20 and its very clear. really enjoyed bond yesterday and superb fielding!!! my god they are good. top class work NZ :happy

charith

Club Captain
Yea because you can judge a batsmens skill when he comes in with 3-4 overs left. McGlashan showed what he can do when he was given a little more time against India early this year (56 of 40).

You missed my point. He is no where close to being as good as Bmac is so why play him at all? to rest him from keeping for 20 overs? Thats a joke. Its such a better side when Bmac keeps you can chose to play the additional batter or bowler. Maybe they wanted an extra batsmen and in this case it was Mcglashan who was the only one available.. head scratcher for me dude

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
McGlashan's a good enough 20/20 batsmen to play for NZ even without the gloves so I would have no problem with him being in the team. But your right, McCullum's a better keeper for sure. I think they like having McCullum out in the field in T20 cricket because he is so good (He was very good in the IPL). Probably one of our best fielders when he doesn't have the gloves (And that's saying something).

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
You missed my point. He is no where close to being as good as Bmac is so why play him at all? to rest him from keeping for 20 overs? Thats a joke. Its such a better side when Bmac keeps you can chose to play the additional batter or bowler. Maybe they wanted an extra batsmen and in this case it was Mcglashan who was the only one available.. head scratcher for me dude

It's because he had an outstanding T20 season for the Northern Knights back home, that's why he got picked.
I guess they are about equal keepers but McCullum is a better fielder so that's why they have McCullum running around in the field.
His T20 stats aren't that bad as well. An average of 23 in the lower to middle order at SR of 140 is alright. (27 matches)
He also has a good one day record having played 73 matches at an average of over 35.

He is a very clean hitter of the ball and a very agricultural player. I saw him last season hit a few reverse sweeps for six.

irottev

School Cricketer
McGlashan's a good enough 20/20 batsmen to play for NZ even without the gloves

I sort of disagree about McGlashan and agree with charith (who woulda thought :p). He's a decent guy down the order to improvise etc. but he's nothing special. We are better off with McCullum keeping for our balance. Also disagree that McGlashan and McCullum are equal keepers. McCullum is far better. He is a great fielder though so fair point there.

We were way better off with N MCCullum anyway. He bowled well.

Bond bowled really we.. Was good to see him back. He summed up the pitch perfectly from ball one. He bowled a lot of slower balls and aggressive short balls and they payed off.

Really strong performance. Not perfect, but a step yup for sure.

Last edited:

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I sort of disagree about McGlashan and agree with charith (who woulda thought :p). He's a decent guy down the order to improvise etc. but he's nothing special. We are better off with McCullum keeping for our balance. Also disagree that McGlashan and McCullum are equal keepers. McCullum is far better. He is a great fielder though so fair point there.

We were way better off with N MCCullum anyway. He bowled well.

Bond bowled really we.. Was good to see him back. He summed up the pitch perfectly from ball one. He bowled a lot of slower balls and aggressive short balls and they payed off.

I was just trying to say he's a lot better then his average of three suggests. But like you I'd much rather see Nathan McCullum in the team with Brendon keeping.

1.Ryder
2.McCullum WK
3.Guptill
4.Taylor
5.Elliott
6.Oram
7.N.McCullum
8.Mills
9.Vettori
10.Butler
11.Bond

I have no idea what the one day team looks like anymore for this tri-series but that's the team I'd like too see. Batting all the way down to nine would make it almost impossible to be bowled out and would allow the top order too really play their strokes.

Howsie added 2 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

You reckon? I don't really see how we could play much better tbh. The bowling could maybe be a little tighter and our batsmen that were set could of gone on with it a tad more but overall I thought it was a really strong performance.

Ari

International Cricketer
Interesting team we have gone with for the warm up game. Oram, Diamanti, Elliott and Ryder are our seamers with McCullum and Patel there for spin. McCullum opened the bowling.

Ari added 3 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Nevermind Tuffey is there as well.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I didn't even know we were playing a warm-up game. Hopefully McCullum does well here, god knows I'm sick of watching Patel play.

Users who are viewing this thread