Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Now my question is-
Do Vijay Shankar and Md Siraj gets another few chances ?

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
29340069_553745528332847_4051626182859292672_n.jpg

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Now my question is-

Neither of them should be discarded for good after this, especially Shankar. He had a torrid game with the bat but it was his first hit in international cricket. He should be given a lease of life after this. Md Siraj should also be tried but not immediately. He should go back to domestic cricket and keep working on his skills. Both of them should hopefully be in contention when we play our next T20I game/series.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Now my question is-
Both definitely deserve more chances. It wasn't easy for Shankar, first international where he bats, and he's immediately put under pressure. He played a few blinders for TN but unfortunately, he was thrown into deep water straightaway. He seems like a big hitter like Pandya and India must persist with these talented individuals. He could even replace Pandya if he plays more internationals. As for Siraj, he had to learn it the intro to int.cricket the hard way. Most certainly, a couple of domestic games and the IPL can help groom his game. He's got pace, but he's got hit everywhere this series. Needs some work but another talented seam bowler India can work with. There are a lot of talented blokes that have been part of this squad, the selectors mustn't take their eye off them.

The biggest positive has to be Washington Sundar. He's been very impressive and always stopped the runs flowing in the Powerplay. After this, I don't see why he can't be slotted in the full strength lineup. This guy can clear the ropes and bowl tidy, just what you would want from a dynamic T20 player. He could bowl in the Powerplay with Bhuvi and Bumrah can bowl mostly in the middle and end overs. This kid has a bright future for sure. Exciting prospect for India.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
Thumbs Down to anybody who compare DK to MSD. MSD is the sole reason DK and like of him couldn't build an international reputation before.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Thumbs Down to anybody who compare DK to MSD. MSD is the sole reason DK and like of him couldn't build an international reputation before.
Which again isnt DK's fault nor MSD's fault. No other keepers could build their international reputation when Gilchrist was around as well. One must understand that there is only 1 wicket keeping position in playing 11. If DK was really exception he could have easily fit into another role at other positions. Now I am not saying DK is bad but I am not even saying he was superb. He did get plenty of opportunities and he failed to make his mark. India always struggled with middle order batsman he could have really made one of the positions his. So yes DK played exceptionally well today and without his innings we would have not won, yes he is in exceptional form off late but MSD is not the "SOLE" reason DK and like couldnt build international reputation before.

It is not MSD's fault that he was better than his competitors.

rishabh9627

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
One major negative for India from this series will be that the senior players never played their part as senior players.
In every match just when one of the senior guys is hitting the ball well he has forgotten about the match situation and got out at the wrong time.
At that moment where they could have easily taken the match from the oppositions grasp they play a rash shot and got out
Thats the difference when playing with Kohli and Dhoni
They both read the match situation so well and dont just keep hitting the ball unnecessarily.
Manish Pandey does not look a technically sound player by any means.
All of his innings are scratchy right from the start.
So the role of playing him in the middle overs can backfire big time.
He has problems rotating the strike and his strike rate in any match situation is below 100
Kedar Jadhav is a moron in terms of cricketing brain
Pandya has problems hitting fast bowlers for runs in the death overs and most of the teams have cracked this code by now just like they did against yusuf pathan when he played the same roll like him in the indian team.
Therefore Indian team is not settled one bit going into world cup 2019

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
To be honest, I would like to point two shots from Shankar that particularly stood out and said that "here is a batsman who can be moulded for the long haul and he is definitely capable". The first shot was the first boundary that Shankar hit off his second ball. I think it was a short of a length ball that Shankar so nonchalantly hit to deep mid wicket for a four. The second shot was in that last over where he cracked an almost yorker length delivery between gully and point for a boundary. Those two shots were definitely traits of a batsman who is technically adept. They were tiny silver linings in an otherwise "extremely nervous innings".

Its very unfortunate that Shankar ran into a Mustafizur over (that dreaded 18th over) where everything clicked for Fizz. That over was even called the "game breaker" over. But well.... Dinesh Karthik had other plans! :D

One major negative for India from this series will be that the senior players never played their part as senior players.
In every match just when one of the senior guys is hitting the ball well he has forgotten about the match situation and got out at the wrong time.
At that moment where they could have easily taken the match from the oppositions grasp they play a rash shot and got out
Thats the difference when playing with Kohli and Dhoni
They both read the match situation so well and dont just keep hitting the ball unnecessarily.
Manish Pandey does not look a technically sound player by any means.
All of his innings are scratchy right from the start.
So the role of playing him in the middle overs can backfire big time.
He has problems rotating the strike and his strike rate in any match situation is below 100
Kedar Jadhav is a moron in terms of cricketing brain
Pandya has problems hitting fast bowlers for runs in the death overs and most of the teams have cracked this code by now just like they did against yusuf pathan when he played the same roll like him in the indian team.
Therefore Indian team is not settled one bit going into world cup 2019

The problem with the management is that they need to put the right players in the right spot. That has not happened often. For e.g. when you have a Kohli and Pandey and Dhoni in the team, you play them ahead and play guys like Raina in the lower order where Raina has all the license to go for the kill. Yet the team management has been hell bent on playing Raina at No.3 since the South Africa T20's. Inspite of that, Raina played quite a few crucial knocks (that MoM effort of 43 in South Africa; the 47 last game against Bangladesh where he and Rohit helped India post a winning total). Raina should be shoring up the lower middle order and guys like Pandey should be batting at No.3 or No. 4.

India need to find a way to keep the non-contributing batsmen on their toes and game ready when they get their chances. Most of the times, India's top order is so strong and dont let the rest bat. But come a high pressure game, the top order gets out and exposes the batsmen who havent batted at all in the series (for e.g. today with Shankar and Sundar; in the Champions Trophy final last year where the middle order was brutally exposed in the final, etc.). Somehow we need a plan to make sure all batsmen are battle ready.

Last edited:

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

I am not one to rejoice in someone's misery but seeing some of the BD players cry after DK smashed that final SIX was very calming. Like Flintoff once preached "this game has a funny way of biting you on the arse". After the ruckus they made during the SL game, it is good to see them literally brought down to earth like this especially after getting a taste of being so close to winning. Dinesh 'Karma' Karthik knocked the wind out of them in a very satisfactory manner

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Md Siraj did not seem like a good prospect for limited overs cricket. He seems like a line and length bowler and might actually be suited for the longer format. Still too early to call.

Shankar has done just about enough to be in the reckoning for Pandya's backup, but still plenty to prove for him (as well as Pandya)

I am a fan of Raina and his all round talent, but what can be the justification of not picking DK over him now. DK delivered in the highest of pressures scenario, is as good a fielder and is in top batting form. Raina brings his tidy overs into the team but has been repeatedly throwing away his wicket and has dropped a couple of dolly catches. On top of that, we have Pandey knocking on the doors for a spot in the middle order in ODIs.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Md Siraj did not seem like a good prospect for limited overs cricket. He seems like a line and length bowler and might actually be suited for the longer format. Still too early to call.

Shankar has done just about enough to be in the reckoning for Pandya's backup, but still plenty to prove for him (as well as Pandya)

I am a fan of Raina and his all round talent, but what can be the justification of not picking DK over him now. DK delivered in the highest of pressures scenario, is as good a fielder and is in top batting form. Raina brings his tidy overs into the team but has been repeatedly throwing away his wicket and has dropped a couple of dolly catches. On top of that, we have Pandey knocking on the doors for a spot in the middle order in ODIs.

Raina, Pandey and Karthik should make up India's middle and lower order in ODI now. Raina gives the option of coming in as a floater No. 3 and pinch hit his way to a good score, thereby giving Kohli the time to pace up the assault. When it comes to the XI, I think Pandey could lose out on quite a few occasions as he is the one who has trouble in getting things going as far as innings acceleration is concerned. All three of them need to be in the ODI setup for the World Cup, and be rotated amongst them depending on situation.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
He only played once in his whole career three series together.
The most test matches he played was in 2007, the most ODI he played were in 2010 and he was dropped for 3 years then.
When Gilchrist retired they had Haddin to replace him immediately as he was rotation-ally tried out in other formats.
Karthik didn't have the management back support, he wasn't given chances like Rohit Sharma(Series after series he failed).
Sorry I used sole reason I think the better term would be major factor. If MSD was as selfless and intelligent as people claim he would have used his last year to build up another keeper but he didn't as he knew it would only shorten his playing career.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
He only played once in his whole career three series together.
The most test matches he played was in 2007, the most ODI he played were in 2010 and he was dropped for 3 years then.
When Gilchrist retired they had Haddin to replace him immediately as he was rotation-ally tried out in other formats.
Karthik didn't have the management back support, he wasn't given chances like Rohit Sharma(Series after series he failed).
Sorry I used sole reason I think the better term would be major factor.
Now again Australia did not have any trouble starting from openers to lower order. Haddin who was a mediocre keeper could find his place because Aussies did not worry about it. Look at how many matches Yuvi and Dhoni won for us being in that middle order. Karthik during those opportunities did not make a lasting effect. Also as a keeper he was pretty okay too. One more factor you do not consider is Dhoni was the captain wicket keeper, Gilchrist was not. Its not as easy to replace a keeper who is of a better mental and physical capacity and now add the captaincy factor into it.

If MSD was as selfless and intelligent as people claim he would have used his last year to build up another keeper but he didn't as he knew it would only shorten his playing career.

Its like saying that Tendulkar should have trained another opener to take his place, Dravid should have trained someone to be a wall. Its not players responsibility, its the management who does that. But I get where you are coming from, we definitely lack good wicket keeping options, its not that we do not have any but no one can be MSD or no one could be as good as he is especially from the current lot where I had high hopes on Samson, Ojha etc but they have just vanished. Again not MSD's fault its the management who did not manage.

Now is DK's time and he has never looked more better, he now has the opportunity, he is also played in XI in ODI's whats stopping him? Let him play hard, let him play awesome and let him win matches for India. Give credit where its due, I do not see one sided blindly, I criticize players when its needed but I do not take anything away from them as well like for instance Gauti was equally important in WC victory and should have got more recognization but Dhoni stole the show.

Users who are viewing this thread