Nov 5-7: Western Australia v England XI at Perth

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The Ashes 2010/11 series kicks off with a tour match between WA and England on the Nov 5-7, 2010. Western Australia will be without Hussey, Shaun Marsh and their one cap Mitchell Johnson for the match with both being on ODI duty. This is on top of an already weakened bowling attack with frontliners; Brett Dorey, Magoffin and Knowles out through injury.

Possible WA lineup
W Robinson, MR Swart, MJ North*, AC Voges, LA Pomersbach, MR Marsh, L Ronchi†, R Duffield, MA Beer, MG Hogan, N Coulter-Nile

harrisb

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Should be an easy start to the tour for England, but if KP plays and scores runs, it won't prove that he's back to his best as it isn't a great bowling attack.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It would definitely be cause for concern if your batsmen don't score runs against that attack. Hogan is handy, Duffield okay in his outings so far but not much else. And if WA do what they are currently doing against SA then they will only have 3 bowlers plus Mitch.

Anyway can't wait to see how Mitch Marsh goes against an International side, Pomersbach likewise and taking also seeing how another of our spinners go.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think Hogan is very good at the moment. Better than Tim Bresnan, at least. I haven't enjoyed Duffield much and would rather see young Dixon get another run. Same with Beer, I don't think he offers more than Heal and in a 3 dayer, the wicket is hardly going to break up. If North is in the side, then they might as well roll the no. 8 dice on a new quick or all-rounder. Good to see NCN back, though.

They should prepare a tough wicket and try to put pressure on the batsmen rather than the bowlers. There might be 3 seamers gunning for that last spot, but between them, Collingwood, KP and Morgan scored 0 in England's last Test. It's also unlikely that they'll each be dropped, so keeping them under-confident will be an objective.

Plus, with the batsmen they have, WA would be just as likely to successfully counter-attack on a seamer as they would be to make a middling score on a belter.

P

pcfan123

Interested to see how the WACA wicket behaves this year. Seems to lose more of its famous bounce every season.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Last year it was a lot better than it has been in previous years. So I reckon it is starting to turn around.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
So I read today that Mike Hussey was given the option of playing this game but chose the ODIs instead. Now sure why, because at this point I don't think there's any chance that England would 'work him out' since they've played him so many times by now. That means Hussey must think ODIs will be better form wise, or maybe it shows that he's desperate to hold onto his ODI spot too.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
So I read today that Mike Hussey was given the option of playing this game but chose the ODIs instead. Now sure why, because at this point I don't think there's any chance that England would 'work him out' since they've played him so many times by now. That means Hussey must think ODIs will be better form wise, or maybe it shows that he's desperate to hold onto his ODI spot too.

Or maybe he's confident he can do well in the ODIs and that in turn will somehow show the selectors- rightly or wrongly- that he's in good enough form to make the starting XI come the Ashes.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
Hussey should be playing. He's got nothing to lose. He could play ████ and there wouldn't be any surprises or he could put a big score on them and get them worrying.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He should be playing this match as he needs all the practice he can get for the longer format. We know hes still got it in the ODI arena but Test is another story.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Or maybe he's confident he can do well in the ODIs and that in turn will somehow show the selectors- rightly or wrongly- that he's in good enough form to make the starting XI come the Ashes.

I suspect you might be right :( If so, it's not right and it just proves how low his Test match confidence is. But on the plus side for his Test chances, he's been given a huge nod of approval by the selectors - purely because Callum Ferguson wasn't picked for the ODI series. If there was any doubts over Hussey, then surely the selectors would have wanted Ferguson to get as much cricket as possible.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Ferguson has been said to have a "big chance" of playing in the ashes according to Tim Nielsen. That's a big call at this stage since Hussey's a class player and brings a lot of experience. Plus North has found some form.

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
WARRIORS Squad:

Marcus North (Captain), Michael Beer, Liam Davis, Ryan Duffield, Michael Hogan, Steve Magoffin, Mitchell Marsh, Luke Pomersbach, Wes Robinson, Luke Ronchi, Michael Swart, Adam Voges.

therefore the lineup will most likely be:

Wes Robinson
Liam Davis
Michael Swart
Marcus North
Adam Voges
Luke Pomersbach
Mitchell Marsh
Luke Ronchi
Steve Magoffin
Michael Beer
Michael Hogan